Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What do you think of this car??

Hello Everyone, I am new here but am in the process of purchasing this car. I want to know if you guys think its a good value, if anything looks wrong, or anything I need to look out for.

Jack Roush Edition

Backdraft Racing Cobra - Factory Built!
It is registered/titled in Missouri as a 1965 Cobra.
This is NOT a Kit Car.

I can get it for $41K

It is a Cobra Convertible.
This car was completed in 2008 with many upgrades during the build.
This is a well sorted car with approximately 11,830 miles.
The color is Porsche Orange with Vivid Black Stripes and Real Knock-Off Wheels.
It has power steering, power brakes and a hydraulic clutch.
The engine is a Masterpiece, it's a Roush 402R [Dyno tuned by Roush with all paperwork 509hp 483tq]
The engine is Roush all the way, with Custom Painted Air Cleaner and Valve Covers.
The Transmission is a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed.
It has a Limited Slip Differential with 4 wheel Independent suspension with 4 wheel Disc Brakes
Attached Images

Last edited by Grabau1; 12-13-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#1344/Dart SBF 427
Not Ranked     

It seems to be a standard Backdraft except for the LSD and power steering options.
They are all KIT/Replica cars. The debate is long and I'm sure those guys will be along soon to hash it out.
Have you driven the car yet? Looks like it has been drivin quite a bit, which is not a bad thing,but has it been on the track at all? Do you have pictures of the car you can post?
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabau1 View Post
Hello Everyone, I am new here but am in the process of purchasing this car. I want to know if you guys think its a good value, if anything looks wrong, or anything I need to look out for.

Jack Roush Edition

Backdraft Racing Cobra - Factory Built!
It is registered/titled in Missouri as a 1965 Cobra.
This is NOT a Kit Car.

I can get it for $41K

It is a Cobra Convertible.
This car was completed in 2008 with many upgrades during the build.
This is a well sorted car with approximately 11,830 miles.
The color is Porsche Orange with Vivid Black Stripes and Real Knock-Off Wheels.
It has power steering, power brakes and a hydraulic clutch.
The engine is a Masterpiece, it's a Roush 402R [Dyno tuned by Roush with all paperwork 509hp 483tq]
The engine is Roush all the way, with Custom Painted Air Cleaner and Valve Covers.
The Transmission is a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed.
It has a Limited Slip Differential with 4 wheel Independent suspension with 4 wheel Disc Brakes
To each his own

Backdraft Racing Cobra

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-13-2014, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Grabau1,
Your post makes me feel that you have not previously done much research on the Cobra replica market and this is an impulse buy. If that is the case, I suggest you slow down, look at the wider market (there are lots of replicas for sale) and learn enough to decide for yourself if this particular car is a good value. If this is the first Cobra replica you've fallen in love with, realize that it is very unlikely that you were lucky enough to find the best deal out there on your first try. ..... Good luck in whatever you decide.
SPF1061 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Price seems in tune for the market. It's not for everyone in that scheme, but I saw the car in person many years ago and it's a pretty unforgettable car. Since it has a Roush 402R I would ask about oil consumption. And if it has AFR heads I would go as far as pulling the valve cover and checking the rockers as that era of Roush engines with AFR heads have exhibited some premature issues.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

orange pipe stitching and matching orange engine screams 2008 and not in a good way.

but if that's what u like, that's what u like.

Listen to mr. cashburn.
offer the seller $35K and spend another $5K at Mr. Cashburn's shop to update interior and engine compartment, maybe add a rear wing ?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Grabau1,
Your post makes me feel that you have not previously done much research on the Cobra replica market and this is an impulse buy. If that is the case, I suggest you slow down, look at the wider market (there are lots of replicas for sale) and learn enough to decide for yourself if this particular car is a good value. If this is the first Cobra replica you've fallen in love with, realize that it is very unlikely that you were lucky enough to find the best deal out there on your first try. ..... Good luck in whatever you decide.
Hey Tommy,

I think you are part right. I have been researching the basics of these for about a year and it seems that Backdraft and a handful of others do a great job. Im sure since there are so few everyone is going to have a strong opinion of the best builder, best motors etc. I am 33 and just looking for something fun to drive on the weekends, take to a few car shows and take my kids for a ride. It seems like a well done car, and its unique. I feel like anything cooler or more well done is inching lose to 58K. At 40K I dont think I would lose if I upgraded or sold in a few years.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

I'd pass
Old 12-13-2014, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Grabau1,
Backdraft's fall into the pecking order where they fall. In addition to the very distinctive Backdraft body style, the paint scheme / interior is certainly unique. I don't think it would enjoy very broad appeal on the open market. You might want to consider that in terms of it's current value and how it would affect is marketablity if you were to buy it and try to resell it later. In the big picture, if it appeals to you, that's all that really matters. The Roush engine hype is pretty much just that. It's a well built crate motor using good parts with a premium put on it because it carries Jack Roush's name. Certainly it is related to a "real" Roush motor in name only.
If it were me, I'd keep looking.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vref120 View Post
It seems to be a standard Backdraft except for the LSD and power steering options.
They are all KIT/Replica cars. The debate is long and I'm sure those guys will be along soon to hash it out.
Have you driven the car yet? Looks like it has been drivin quite a bit, which is not a bad thing,but has it been on the track at all? Do you have pictures of the car you can post?
In all fairness, they are all replicas but they are not all KIT cars in the sense of the owner receiving boxes full of parts that are then assembled in his own shop and completed according to his abilities. A Backdraft is largely "factory" completed to a high degree of consistency. Aside from it's driving history, a Backdraft is for the most part a known quantity. An FFR for example (and not to pick on them in any way) could be better than a Backdraft or it could be much worse than a Backdraft. Any real KIT car that is completely assembled by the owner is totally at the mercy of the skills and budget of the builder. It requires much more individual scrutiny to determine it's quality. Just my .02
Old 12-13-2014, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Good points by all. If this is not an impulse buy, you'll be happy with the car for many years to come. But, when it comes time to sell it, the color will limit the appeal somewhat. Having said that, it is definitely a striking combo and will attract attention wherever you drive it. The purists will poo poo the color, but if it pleases you, who cares. Those same purists drive a replica/kit car too.
So, I would do as others have said, make a lower offer and sit on it. He might have problems of his own selling it and this is not the best time of year to sell a cobra. You might pickup a bargain.
SPF1061 likes this.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Grabau1,
When it comes to what other people will buy, I don't put much stock in my own opinion. But you asked, so here it is. If you are confident enough in what the future holds to think you are going to hold on to this car for at least five years, then get it if you like it. But, if you are going into this thinking you can always resell if you decide you'd like to have a different toy in a few years, I'd pass on this one. The color scheme is so unique, and there are so many other cars for people to choose from that I suspect you'll take a loss trying to unload this for $41,000.

You might also find this thread interesting to read: click here. Note post #23 in particular.
SPF1061 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Well, it's certainly different!
If you're just looking for something sporty looking that will stand out and just want to have fun, then that would do it.
If you're looking for it as more of an investment that will hold or increase in value, then that's not the car.
As said above, it's a personal choice.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I like it, but then I like the Viper Green's, Speed Yellow's and the Porsche Orange. But I would tone it down a bit, changing to painted headlight rings, standard black seats, dumping the front spoiler, etc. Otherwise, get the best price you can and enjoy it.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

It's Ok to be different. It looks well put together.......have it checked out...be happy......��
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

In my opinion, if that is the color/combo that you are interested in, the price is more than fair. These cars can be so personalized that if you don't REALLY want that color, then it's worthwhile to spend a couple thousand more in the used market to find a different color combo. If you can buy it for $41k, the price probably isn't going to drop at all even after you drive it for a couple seasons to make up your mind. Perhaps, at that price point, it stands inflating slightly. Obviously you need to have the car looked over first, but I say buy it, try it, and worst case scenario, if you don't like it, sell it for what you have in to it or at a very minimal loss (after taxes/tags/maintenance). You will have to sit it on it a bit to get the money do to the non traditional color combo, but the buyer will be there for low $40's.

As far as the technicality of kit vs turnkey minus, it has a HUGE impact to a lot of people and the differentiation is extremely important, especially so in the used car market. Backdraft is NOT a kit, so you don't have to worry about a million different pieces all be different or being assembled different, only the drivetrain.

Last edited by itstock; 12-13-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-13-2014, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I don't like the orange stripping in the interior but, we all have our particulars & small things can easily be remedied. Mechanicals are likely your biggest questions. I personally kind of like the color combo, for a replica. Have fun with it, if it's your thing. I would
cycleguy55 and Rjscharer like this.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

You might want to do some research here and elsewhere on the Roush motors. Some folks have had issues. Not saying they are bad, but just suggesting doing some homework so you know what you are getting into.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

So much for that plan... Other Makes Backdraft Cobra Convertible | eBay
Bernica likes this.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor