Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Proud owner of Backdraft #1609
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie Here.....

hello, my name is Zeke. First time poster.
A little bit about myself, I am 54 years old and have always been a Cobra admirer. I've loved these cars ever since my teens. I've just never actually thought that I would ever have a chance to buy one, until now. I am about to pay off my house "yay," and what better time to consider purchasing one of these cars! I have never owned any type of hot rod ever. I am no car nut or mechanic by any means but I understand the basics and realize that these are very dangerous if driven wrong. But I am not crazy and I just would like a new toy to show off and maybe take to shows.

Currently I live in Northern PA. Cobras are rare here. That's what I love about them! There's maybe 1 in the whole county. I guess that's why I don't know a lot about them. Thank god that I found this website, because Back Draft Cobras are what I was interested in. Last week believe it or not I drove to Edgewater, NJ @ Jonathon Motorcars(250 miles away) and they allowed me to ride in one. The Backdraft Cobra that I rode in was Indigo Blue with pearl white stripes and it had the Iconic 427 in it. All I can say is WOW, that was the fastest car that I have ever ridden in. I now know that I am HOOKED! It does kind of scare me that I have to go in dept again in order to buy my dream car, but oh well. I told the guy at Jonathon Motorcars that when and if I do buy one, that I would get the Blue matched with the Roush 427, he then gave me a quick quote of $62000 and he was doing everything in his power to get me to put $$ down to order. I left without ordering because I think that I need to research these a little before blowing the big wad. Again my name is Zeke and I would appreciate any kind of advice any of you have to offer. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#1344/Dart SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Welcome Zeke. It's all a personal preference on what you want in them and what options do you want. Do you want a FE engine, or a 427W? You can spends months narrowing down what you want. If your happy with the BDR, then talk to some other BDR owners or call some of the dealers. You have Jay at Vintage in CT, or James at Radical Roadsters in Houston. There's probably a few more, but either of those guys will shoot you straight, ask you the right questions and keep Ya on budget if your worried about that. Hope that helps a little. Just take your time. No need to rush this process. Order the car if you need too.
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Engine selection is a big question right now. I guess I'm one of those guys that if it says 427 on the side emblem, it should have a 427 in it. It looks like there are several variations of the 427 to choose. I've been reading a lot of negative stories about the Roush 427r, but also how all 427's have maintenance issues when used very little. They run hot, they leak oil and so on. I guess that is expected. Maybe I should stay away from a 427. In my situation, I would probably only take it for a drive on week ends if it is nice out. When you say FE vs 427W, I believe you are referring to the 351 Windsor block punched out to 427? I guess I want something that has a good track record as far as reliability. I was hoping to get some sound advise on this website.

Also the Backdraft rolling chassis as well, is there a big difference between kits as far as quality/components? I do know that Backdraft chassis's have the one piece frame(boxed). Sales person told me that the Backdraft kit is 4" longer than other kits. Putting the additional length into the interior making it easier more comfortable for taller drivers. Also BDR has the BMW IRS. I guess I don't understand why other kits are far more expensive.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

If you want some help give me a shout. For example real specifications like the car has a 2" longer wheelbase (the car itself is not longer). We can also guide you better on the engine selection as we work with multiple engine builders and of course we actually complete the cars so we can support them effectively.

References if you need them.

Toll Free: 888.427.1965
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would recommend that you look very hard at good, used Cobras...there are plenty out there. They have been sorted, fixed and usually have low miles. Good Luck.
mln385, cycleguy55 and Zeke like this.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Wanted to add, since you are about 3.5 hours from Carlisle, PA that show takes place May 15th-17th. I cannot promise much for the number of companies attending anymore since it falls off each year, but we will have 3 Backdrafts on hand and you can usually count on 6 or 8 other manufacturers or representatives to be there.

Getting to see a mix under one roof should help you distinguish why there are price differences.
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreez View Post
I would recommend that you look very hard at good, used Cobras...there are plenty out there. They have been sorted, fixed and usually have low miles. Good Luck.
Check out the cars for sale on CC at PhotoPost Classifieds - Cobra/Daytona/GT40's for Sale (private party sales only) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I just took a quick look and it appears there are even some Backdraft cars for sale there, along with the other makes.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

Zeke,

I recently purchased my second Backdraft Cobra, the first Backdraft Cobra sold by Jonathan Motorcars in Edgewater Park, NJ. My first Backdraft Cobra (#101) was a great ride. As one of the earlier Backdrafts, I found myself doing a good bit of retrofit work. The car was powered by a Ford Racing 351W enlarged to 392 CU and rated at 420 HP. Nice car and I really enjoyed the seven years I owned the car. My new Backdraft Cobra has just completed the initial 500 mile safety inspection and oil/filter change by a certified automotive technician with over 20 years of experience with Cobras of most all makes. The tech had 5 star ratings for my Backdraft Cobra. Many of my retrofits on my former Cobra have been dealt with in the new Backdraft Cobra design. My new Backdraft Cobra (#1360) is equipped with Roush 427R (Dynoed at 551 HP, 528 ft-lbs torque) and has a 6-speed Tremec tranny. The upgrades on my new car have made the car far superior to my former Backdraft Cobra. I am super happy with my new ride and I can also say that I was quite pleased with Jonathan Motorcars. I live near Phoenix, AZ and traveled to Edgewater Park to inspect the car and finalize the deal. I was impressed with the additional care and inspection that Jonathan Motorcars performed on the car along with my detailed inspection with their technicians. My cost was near to the price they quoted you. I feel I purchased my Backdraft Cobra at a fair price and am the proud owner of a great car. I am a big guy and I like the interior of the Backdraft Cobra. Just my story and I am sticking to it.
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
If you want some help give me a shout. For example real specifications like the car has a 2" longer wheelbase (the car itself is not longer). We can also guide you better on the engine selection as we work with multiple engine builders and of course we actually complete the cars so we can support them effectively.

References if you need them.

Toll Free: 888.427.1965
Thank you very much! I would like to know all engine options, and their performance levels.
I was really leaning towards the Roush 427r! I was sold on it until I read the stories dealing with warrantee work or lack of. I guess every engine has its issues, probably some of it is due to neglect.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreez View Post
I have, I have looked at Cobra Country, E-Bay and the local Craigslist and it seems as though many sellers are asking top $$. Let me just say its tough to find a nice one for under 50 grand. I'm sure they're around, but I cant seem to find the right one. I think the cheapest one that I have found is a local guy is selling his 2001 Factory 5 for $22,500! But it is ugly, and beaten up pretty badly. Army green with gold stripes. I keep telling myself why not just buy a new one.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Zeke, feel free to PM me. I am in Horsham which is about 3 hours from you, but I could take my car for a ride and meet a bit closer. Also, talk to Jay at Vintage Motorsports and see if he can come up with anything for your. You probably aren't that far away in price from getting the best customer service in the business, as well as one of the companies that does the best job.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMCobra View Post
Zeke,

I recently purchased my second Backdraft Cobra, the first Backdraft Cobra sold by Jonathan Motorcars in Edgewater Park, NJ. My first Backdraft Cobra (#101) was a great ride. As one of the earlier Backdrafts, I found myself doing a good bit of retrofit work. The car was powered by a Ford Racing 351W enlarged to 392 CU and rated at 420 HP. Nice car and I really enjoyed the seven years I owned the car. My new Backdraft Cobra has just completed the initial 500 mile safety inspection and oil/filter change by a certified automotive technician with over 20 years of experience with Cobras of most all makes. The tech had 5 star ratings for my Backdraft Cobra. Many of my retrofits on my former Cobra have been dealt with in the new Backdraft Cobra design. My new Backdraft Cobra (#1360) is equipped with Roush 427R (Dynoed at 551 HP, 528 ft-lbs torque) and has a 6-speed Tremec tranny. The upgrades on my new car have made the car far superior to my former Backdraft Cobra. I am super happy with my new ride and I can also say that I was quite pleased with Jonathan Motorcars. I live near Phoenix, AZ and traveled to Edgewater Park to inspect the car and finalize the deal. I was impressed with the additional care and inspection that Jonathan Motorcars performed on the car along with my detailed inspection with their technicians. My cost was near to the price they quoted you. I feel I purchased my Backdraft Cobra at a fair price and am the proud owner of a great car. I am a big guy and I like the interior of the Backdraft Cobra. Just my story and I am sticking to it.
Did you talk to Andrew? He is the owner and he has a son that works there and his name is also Andrew. They seemed really nice and answered a lot of my questions. Andrew sr actually took me for a first time ride. It was awesome!

I'll bet your car is cool, I would love to see it. Color? Pics?? You are actually the 1st that I have read to talk positive about the Roush. Its good to know that your engine is performing normally. I'm sure there are many other people that have had good luck just the same. How do you like the 6 speed tremac? Man sorry for so many questions!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     

Zeke, after researching for almost 8 yrs, I decided on a Backdraft. I had Jay at Vintage, James at Radical in TX, and Frank at Custom Cars (BDR dealer in Boynton Beach) be on the lookout for a preowned car as I knew I couldn't justify the price of a new one with 2 young kids. After waiting about a year, Frank called me and let me know he had one with less than 900 miles coming in on consign. In less than a week I flew down to Florida to check it and had it delivered. I looked just about every day for a car for over a year in the same places you mentioned and was not able to find anything close to the deal I got. I say all this to come full circle and throw out there that you might call and let the dealers know what your budget is and what you are looking for. I told Frank my budget and he got me a car that looks brand new within my budget, and it was a very tight budget as I never saw a BDR listed for what I wanted to pay. You can see pictures in my profile and/or pm me with any other questions. Good luck and take your time as the right one will come along when you least expect it.
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

Zeke,

I searched most all Cobra websites and local dealers in my hunt for another Cobra. I just kept coming back to a Backdraft Cobra. I contacted Jonathan Motorcars and dealt with Andrew Sr., Andrew and Rick (a family run operation). All nice guys and we came close enough on pricing for the Backdraft Cobra that I wanted and so I travelled from Arizona to Edgewater Park, NJ to inspect the car and strike the deal. The car has met and exceeded all my expectations. I wanted a car not for racing or tracking but rather for cruising and showing. I absolutely got what I wanted--a beautiful Cobra that I can start anytime, warm up for 30+ seconds and drive anywhere with confidence (and no leaks on my garage floor. The 6-speed is nice but not necessary on our cars. A 5-speed is more than adequate for these high powered vehicles. My Backdraft Cobra is still shown on the Jonathan Motorcars website--sterling grey with light silver stripes (and the 18-inch wheels are great). I am just another proud owner of a Cobra. All of us are proud of our Cobras regardless of the manufacturer. We are all indeed a select group.
Zeke likes this.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Zeke,

I searched most all Cobra websites and local dealers in my hunt for another Cobra. I just kept coming back to a Backdraft Cobra. I contacted Jonathan Motorcars and dealt with Andrew Sr., Andrew and Rick (a family run operation). All nice guys and we came close enough on pricing for the Backdraft Cobra that I wanted and so I travelled from Arizona to Edgewater Park, NJ to inspect the car and strike the deal. The car has met and exceeded all my expectations. I wanted a car not for racing or tracking but rather for cruising and showing. I absolutely got what I wanted--a beautiful Cobra that I can start anytime, warm up for 30+ seconds and drive anywhere with confidence (and no leaks on my garage floor. The 6-speed is nice but not necessary on our cars. A 5-speed is more than adequate for these high powered vehicles. My Backdraft Cobra is still shown on the Jonathan Motorcars website--sterling grey with light silver stripes (and the 18-inch wheels are great). I am just another proud owner of a Cobra. All of us are proud of our Cobras regardless of the manufacturer. We are all indeed a select group.
I know the car you are talking about! I've looked at it many times!(pictures) It is still marked sold on their website. I will say, you traveled a long ways for the car that you wanted. Very nice!

I too keep coming back to Backdraft as they have some newer features that I more like more than others. I like the BDR 2" larger interior, type of seats, 18" wheel selection and the chassis/brakes/suspension. To me its built just as solid as the Superformance or others costing more. Last week I told Andrew that I would want a Indigo Blue Cobra with the 427R Roush(with 5 speed) with the high polished wheels!

There were a couple of things that I guess I didn't like, it seems as though the windshield of the Cobra (passenger side)that I rode in wasn't very solid. It seemed a little flimsy. Maybe its just me, but when I first got into the car Andrew directed me to put my left hand on the back of the seat, then step over the side pipe. He also told me to not put down pressure on the door as well. He did say that they offer a 3M (mylar) protection to help protect that beautiful clear coat finish. Does your windshield and door seem flimsy? Maybe its just me but it was a little awkward getting in this way. The driver side was a different story, as you have the steering wheel and roll bar to grab ahold of. Thoughts? Other than that the car was flawless!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zeke,

My new Backdraft Cobra has the 3M Mylar coating on the doors and fenders. My former Backdraft Cobra did not have the 3M Mylar coating. I strongly recommend the 3M Mylar coating. The windshield and its frame on my new Cobra seems more robust than my former Cobra. Cobra windshields in general are not the most stout feature on the car. You might check with Cashburn at Vintage Motorsports or Reg at Backdraft office in Florida. For me, I feel the windshield and doors on my car are just fine. Good luck in your pursuit of a Cobra motorcar. All Cobras are special and the one you will own will give you hours and hours of pleasure.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Zeke,

My new Backdraft Cobra has the 3M Mylar coating on the doors and fenders. My former Backdraft Cobra did not have the 3M Mylar coating. I strongly recommend the 3M Mylar coating. The windshield and its frame on my new Cobra seems more robust than my former Cobra. Cobra windshields in general are not the most stout feature on the car. You might check with Cashburn at Vintage Motorsports or Reg at Backdraft office in Florida. For me, I feel the windshield and doors on my car are just fine. Good luck in your pursuit of a Cobra motorcar. All Cobras are special and the one you will own will give you hours and hours of pleasure.
how many gallon fuel tank does your BDR Cobra have?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just curious as what the average cruising range was with a 427, approximately
Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

18 gallon tank at 8-10 mpg = 144/180 depending on rear gear,tire size and transmission ratio.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

I can make it to the gas station and back with my 427.

Just kidding. I have never really paid attention to the range but it is "good" on the highway. At least 150miles +

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: