Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaydee
  • 1 Post By Ron61
  • 1 Post By my427cobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fun times today...

So I get in the cobra to start it and as I turn the key and push the ignition button the starter goes crazy and keep on running. I pull the keys out of the ignition and the darn thing keeps running. I finally decide to pull the battery cable to
Kill the starter which works. Get car towed to the shop, prognosis is starter is dead solenoid got stuck which made stater keep running . How do I fix this in the future without needing the dreaded tow. New stater going in now. Would hitting the starter with a hammer fix this?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Hitting the solenoid could unstick it. If the solenoid is stuck because of corrosion or grease build up. A new starter shouldn't have that problem. It is unusual to get stuck like yours. I have seen it once and the starter was glowing red and the battery almost melted, because they didn't disconnect it. Sometimes the solenoid return spring breaks due to rust. Glad that you have a cutout switch.
JD
eunosracr likes this.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That could have damaged the battery also, so be on the look out for that. You said that you pulled the battery cable. You should install a battery cut off switch which you can just turn and it cuts off all power to everything which is much faster and easy than taking a battery cable off. I saw one solenoid stick because of the contacts melting and sticking together but this was one of the old original type. Hitting the starter with a hammer in this case would not have helped as it is going to try to run as long as there is power to it.

Ron
eunosracr likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-06-2016, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jesus battery cut off switch ! I did not even think of that. In my haste I ran and pulled the battery cable not thinking that I have a battery kill switch. Lesson learned. Keep in mind this starter is about 7 years old at this point.

Last edited by eunosracr; 02-06-2016 at 03:31 AM..
Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick Update: She is back on the road with a new starter. While at the shop I had them install Armando's low profile oil pan which i had sitting in my garage for months. Maybe it is just me but the car seems to rev more freely. Would this have anything to do with the oil pan and or its windage tray?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Hi all. There was a good thread a few years ago about "quality" solenoids. I tried using "period correct", "concors" FOMOCO solonoids from all of the big three Mustang parts houses and they all failed as described above. One after only a few uses.

Finally bit the bullet and got a real Ford unit. No problems since.

Cheers
Greg
eunosracr likes this.