Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PHMCobra
  • 1 Post By Sledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Windshield Questions

Posting this for a friend. He has questions about Backdrafts windshield. Can you guys in the know help him out?

Backdraft offers an aluminum windshield frame and a chrome over brass windshield frame. The chrome over brass windshield frame is more expensive. Is it worth the extra cost? Is it stronger than the aluminum frame? Will it reduce stress cracks in the windshield? Are both frames the same size and will they readily fit on my one year old backdraft? Are the visors and wind wings interchangeable?

Any advice and direction would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Larry
Old 03-13-2016, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I have an aluminum windshield frame and have experienced cracks in the glass windshield. I have had an opportunity to compare the two frame materials in completed cars and the brass seems to be more rigid and less likely to transfer stress to the glass. I haven't compared sizes, costs or any other factors but you can tell you friend that if he is breaking windshields think about going with a lexan windshield. Cost less than glass and no breaking issues.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks! Are windshields cracking an issue with Backdraft cars?
Larry
Old 03-13-2016, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Windshield Frames

Larry,

Thanks for posting my questions about Backdraft windshield frames. I would really like to stay with the OEM glass windshields as they are DOT approved. I had stress cracks in four glass windshields in my previous Backdraft Cobra with aluminum windshield frame, each broken glass windshield having been replaced with an OEM DOT glass windshield. My second Backdraft Cobra, now one year old, has just incurred a stress crack in the lower passenger side of the glass windshield. I just do not want to repeat windshield replacements over and over again if the chrome over brass windshield frame will eliminate or significantly reduce the windshield failures due to stress cracks emanating from the frame. So, is the chrome over brass windshield a good upgrade to consider?

I am religious about not letting anyone touch my windshield. So, I believe the windshield cracks are stress related and not due to pressuring the windshield by humans. I have seen no evidence of rocks or debris hitting my windshield. I only drive conservatively on the street--no racing--just cruising to and from the tennis courts and golf clubs.

I suspect the windshield frames may be stressed upon installation and transferring stress to the windshields.

Comments from all appreciated.

Phil
LMH likes this.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Is it possible your wind wings mounting screws are to long causing the cracks?

Haven't seen this as an issue on the forums. My windshield is in aluminum frame and original 8 years old.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

No problems with my four year old windshield. The two other owners who received their cars at the same time as I did, have not reported a problem, either. Another BDR owner has told me that he replaced his aluminum frame with the chrome coated brass frame. I don't remember the reason he did, but it could have been a windshield cracking problem. His car is about eight years old.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     

I had an alum frame. Cracked the glass while it was on a trailer (Large and deep pot hole). Replaced it with a brass/chrome frame. Its not a simple switch out. I don't think the glass is available anymore for the Alum frame. I'm making some different brackets for the wind wings to ensure they don't hit the edge of the glass.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default BDR Windshield Frame

I have the chrome-plated brass frame in my BDR. I'm on the 3rd windshield. The first one I broke by using screws that were just a little too long for the sunshade mounts. The second one I broke by not shimming the side brackets to the frame properly during installation, then tightening down. 3 days later the windshield cracked. The third one has been in service now for over 10 years. I had it professionally installed by people who knew what they were doing and who had a good supply of shims.
RUFdriver likes this.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default BDR Windshield Frame

Sledge,

Thanks for your reply. I do strongly suspect that my stress cracked windshield was caused by stress on the windshield frame due to improper shimming of the windshield upon installation. The crack started at the lower frame near the passenger side of the car. No screws near there. My new DOT glass windshield will be encased in a new chrome over brass frame and installed by an authorized auto glass company. The installer needs to be aware of the screw fasteners for the wind wings and visors as well as eliminating stress in the windshield frame when securing the car. I have asked for a 5 year warranty against future stress cracks--we are negotiating.

Phil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: