Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By spdbrake
  • 1 Post By spdbrake
  • 2 Post By Quentin Z

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Wiring layout - earlier cars

Do any of you have any knowledge of the physical layout of the wiring in earlier cars (mine is 499)? This past weekend, I fried the high amp wires on three of the power relays (horn, starter and fan). These wires are daisy-chained starting at the horn relay and are fed, I believe from the starter. I also have a dead short on all of the low amp wires going to the coil side of the relays (relays removed).

I still have voltage at the starter and the high amp side of the relays where the wires are burnt when the batt cut off is turned on. I do NOT have voltage at the input to the ignition switch…Looking at the “wiring diagram” it shows power going to the ignition from the batt cut off and spliced prior to the switch to the high amp feed on the relays. I am not sure this is accurate, or if it is, where the splice is located.

According to the diagram, the ignition switch feeds the low amp side of the relays and various fuses, but I do NOT have continuity from the low amp side back to the switch. Again, I suspect there is a splice somewhere, but short of tearing the entire harness apart, don’t know where it may be.
Bottom line is somewhere one or more splices are open and one is most likely shorted. If anyone has any idea where the specific splices are located, please share…

Thanks!

Gun Doc
Old 08-02-2016, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you using this diagram?
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ng_diagram.JPG

From what I see the "work side" of the relays power is bussed directly off the Batt Disconnect.
The three relays the control side the ground pulls the relay on the Horn and Fan, but the hot control lead goes thru the start switch, the ground waiting on the other side.

Can you circle the post(s) your seeing a ground on with the relays removed?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

spdbreak, yes I am using this diagram and you are correct the diagram does show the starter relay as going to ground off of pin 86, but the car is wired with pin 86 daisy-chained at every relay, including the starter relay to the ignition switch. I am pretty sure the drawing is backwards for that relay.

I have continuity (dead short .04 ohms) at each wire off of pin 86 at each relay (relays removed). I pulled the pins (86) out of the relay blocks prior to checking. I also checked the wiring from the start switch wire to pin 86 and have continuity.

I still have power at pin 30 of the horn relay with the batt cut off switch on, but not at the ignition switch (batt cut off side). The wires fried between the horn, starter and Fan #1 relays at pin 30 (high current). None of the wires off of the coil side (pin 86) suffered any damage on any relay.

I have looked at all the wiring I can see under the dash and haven’t found anything. It’s strange to me that there isn’t an inline fuse of some sort on the high current feed side (pin 30) of these relays between the batt cut off and relay block. I guess I’ll just have to trace both the high and low current sides back to the batt cut off and ignition switch and see if I can find a short.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Ignition swt shouldn't have gotten smoked.

You could pull all the fuses and check for the ground again. The starter is not fused and the the 0.4 ohm could be a bad bendex.
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ign switch didn't get smoked, but there isn't any power to it from the Batt Cut off. Switch is good - open with key off, closed with key on. I am going to isolate the starter tonight and check the readings again.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Fuse Box

Came across this thread on the BDR
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the link.

I made some progress. First I verified that the diagram shows pin 85 and 86 reversed on the starter relay - it is wired identical to the other relays as far as switching goes. I checked the low current side where my short is and pulled each fuse, one-by-one. When I pulled the fuel pump fuse, the dead short went away and I got over 97 ohms. I don't have an electric fuel pump and the switch has never been connected. Trouble is, I can't find the green wire from the fuse to the switch. I guess I'll keep tearing into the harness. Worst case, I can always leave the fuse out.

Last edited by Gun Doc; 08-02-2016 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: New information/correction
Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good info thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ozzie, not sure if you have this diagram...

Last edited by Gun Doc; 05-09-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

thanks, I'll check it out
Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

My car is #272; I created this wiring diagram in my spare time a while back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw3zrxszk3...agram.pdf?dl=0
BDR0572 and Winchester67 like this.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Very nice diagram, I downloaded that thanks for sharing
Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

Nice, Quentin!

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Nice work Quentin... I too downloaded a copy... THAT should come in very handy. I do have one question for anyone. I have #509... and whereas this schematic references Ace Looms... my car is wired with a loom from Relek Manufacturing in South Africa. Are Ace & Relek one & the same? If not... and various vendors have provided wiring looms over time... what's the likelihood they all used the same colors as depicted here? Very good... good... not a chance? Just curious. Thoughts?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: