Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

Wait. I resemble that remark
Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Well... I finally reached a point where I'm going to do something with this windshield. I figured waiting one year in the hope DOT glass would become available was long enough.

I removed the frame from the car & removed the glass from the frame yesterday. Prior to doing so... I had noticed that Performance Unlimited now offers a Polyglass windshield for a BDR... and they have added a template with measurements for a BDR windshield. Unfortunately... my measurements don't match theirs. I measured... and then re-measured several times just to ensure accuracy... and used the parameters listed on the BDR template on their website. While my windshield measures larger than the SPF templates in all but one category... it measures significantly SMALLER than the BDR template in all but one category. JUST my luck.

While I'm once again awaiting an answer from them on the "custom cut" charge question... I'm exploring the MR10 Lexan option. The existing windshield is 3/16" thick... and Jimbo01 states to use 3/16" Lexan.

My rubber seals don't look the least bit worn and are still soft & pliable... and I'm not a big fan of having to "goop" one into the frame. Jimbo01... if you don't mind me asking... did you use your original seals?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Just get a sheet off eBay and make a posterboard template then transfer it. It's a little tricky getting it fit back in so you need 2 people. I have a few customers local that have them and I forget that we did them, they often remind me.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     

Agree with Jay, you can buy a sheet of Lexan pretty cheap, but you can buy it pre-cut for a fee! I purchased one from James at Radical Roadsters and it took about 10 minutes to put in. The lexan looks good and I can't tell a difference between it and glass.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

if you live in Chicago, it might have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
I've have own my backdraft for 14 years #84 and after 3 windshields, I went to the lexan MR10 ,optically clear and no scratches after three years. and if you live in Chicago it it might stop a bullet.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've gotten a response from Performance Unlimited.

They are saying I should make templates of my windshield on both the outside & inside of the glass and send it to them for comparison to windshields they have. If it doesn't match up with any of them... then I'm back to the "custom cut" fee being added in & that makes a Polyglass windshield just not cost effective for me. Therefore... I'm not going to bother further with the Polyglass idea. Besides... the Polyglass windshields are more expensive than DOT glass to begin with and... with the "custom cut" charge added on top of it... and shipping too... no thanks. At the end of the day... it would still be just as non-compliant as the Lexan will be. Looking at MR10 Lexan for sure now... I've read too many good things about it.

I'll create the template & then probably decide which local glass company I'm going to use to buy a sheet & have it cut for me. I also haven't ruled out Radical Roadsters for the Lexan. To this end... I tried calling James w/ no success... so I left him a message via his website. I'll wait to see what he says... and in the interim... will be making my template.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought some regular Lexan that was tinted and they pulled out a color board that had about 20-30 different shades available from real light to real dark in grey, red, bronze and a few other colors. I never checked on MR10 Lexan, but I do know you can get it tinted, just not sure how many color variations.

If they have one light enough, you could get a tinted windshield for the front, then have darker tinted pieces cut for the windwings and sunvisors. It would all be a matching set.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried going to an automotive glass shop and having one cut to size out of DOT approved glass?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln385 View Post
Has anyone tried going to an automotive glass shop and having one cut to size out of DOT approved glass?
They will not have the correct curvature to fit. Try bending flat safety glass.........

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Another shout out for Polyglass after 3 replacements in one year and no it wasnt cracking because the screws were too tight touching the glass.

There is zero distortion. First day after install I was driving on the highway at about 85, speed limit here is 75 and a tractor trailer shot a rock that hit the windshield with a WACK. Glass windshield would have surely cracked. No crack, only a tiny scuff the size of a piece of rice. Few months now and zero problems.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
They will not have the correct curvature to fit. Try bending flat safety glass.........
I was just thinking a place like this might be an option. Street Rod Glass - Home or this https://petesautomotiveglasscenter.c...tom-glass.html

When we have a cobra such as ours sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Last edited by mln385; 07-26-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Old 07-28-2017, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / Coyote Motor
Not Ranked     

What is the thickness of the Lexan MR10 that is needed to buy to install in the frame.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3/16" is the thickness of my windshield... going with the same thickness of Lexan.

As a side note... I haven't heard anything back from James w/ Radical Roadsters... and I reached out twice... once by leaving a message on his website... and once by leaving a message on his mobile. I've also left a message on his shop phone a while back (about a year ago) & didn't get a return call then either. I see a lot of people post about the fine work he does... so I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt... maybe he's been out this week... but that now makes three times I've attempted to contact him w/o success... IJS...
Old 07-29-2017, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Radical Roadsters

James has been out all this week - will be this coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Boy View Post
3/16" is the thickness of my windshield... going with the same thickness of Lexan.

As a side note... I haven't heard anything back from James w/ Radical Roadsters... and I reached out twice... once by leaving a message on his website... and once by leaving a message on his mobile. I've also left a message on his shop phone a while back (about a year ago) & didn't get a return call then either. I see a lot of people post about the fine work he does... so I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt... maybe he's been out this week... but that now makes three times I've attempted to contact him w/o success... IJS...
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     

I got my Lexan replacement windshield from this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292197102734

The fitment is great with the exception of the top corners being a little short. With the rubber molding in, it's hard to tell.

There is no distortion whatsoever. Terrific product and one of the first mods you should consider for your Backdraft.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to know... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am9648 View Post
James has been out all this week - will be this coming week.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay... finally had time to create a template.

I established the centerline of the windshield & drew a line across same and out onto the poster board. I then secured the windshield to the poster board at these two points of reference using blue painter's tape. I then rolled the windshield each direction on the flat poster board & used a Sharpie fine point permanent marker to trace the outline. When I cut it out... I cut along the outside edge of the marker line.

The template is close... and... predictably... appears to be the width of the marker larger all the way around. It isn't much.

When I initially removed the frame from the windshield... I noticed that some portions of the windshield sat deeper into the frame than others. Most notably... the upper corners weren't in as deep.

My next question before having the Lexan cut...

Am I better off trimming away that marker line from the template to get it closer to the actual size of the windshield... or is it better to have it cut slightly larger and then... IF it requires trimming... I'm assuming that could be carefully done with a Dremel tool?

Experience... and thoughts coming from experience... are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use a Makita grinder with 220 grit flapper sandpaper. Sometimes I go heavier, but you can shape it pretty easy.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / Coyote Motor
Not Ranked     

What was the size of the Lexan that you bought.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't bought any yet. I was looking at .177" thick x 48" x 96".

As an update... I did speak with James at Radical Roadsters by phone this morning... VERY nice guy... and I see what all the high praise is about. Once again... thanks to csw & am9648 for the heads up. I will be working with James to get the new MR10 Lexan windshield cut & sent to me... and I'll follow up here with the results.

I have to admit... when I checked prices locally through a Plastics company that the local glass guys referred me to... I got a bit of sticker shock when I saw the price for a sheet of MR10 big enough to cut a windshield from. It ain't cheap! I was going to have them cut as many windshields as possible from that sheet to try & make it more cost effective.

Appreciate everyone that responded. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm125 View Post
What was the size of the Lexan that you bought.
csw likes this.