Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield issue... paging Cashburn

Hoping Cashburn (or anyone) might have some helpful info. I've searched the site but haven't found where my question is being addressed.

I have an aluminum windshield frame on #509. I cracked my windshield in July 2016. I have been waiting for BDR to get some new windshields in and they asked I call them back about every three weeks to check again. Thus far no luck, so I began looking at alternatives.

PolyGlass seemed viable... and the guy claims he's done one for a BDR before. But... the BDR shield is slightly larger, so it would have to be a "custom cut" which... when you take the cost of the PolyGlass... and add a custom cut fee... now you're near the cost of a new chrome over brass frame AND glass from BDR.

I've read that swapping an aluminum windshield frame for the brass/chrome isn't a simple swap... some "fabrication" is required for the new frame.

My question is... what sort of fabrication has to be done to accommodate the new frame?

Appreciate any info.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

As long as you don't have a soft top, the chrome over brass is a good option to avoid this problem going forward. Really all that needs to be done is you install the setup for test fit and then mark where you can cut the legs off. Take it out and trim and then back in. You will have to drill it in the car so a 90 degree drill helps unless you want to mark it and pull it out again and drill.

You can buy it here:
Cobra Replica Windshield

Alternative is to buy a sheet of Lexan MR10 and template the current glass and then cut the lexan to match and install. Generally takes 2 people to get it bent and in the frame.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Just went through this last year with my dad's windshield. The fabrication really isn't that bad. We opted to test fit, mark where to cut & holes lined up, pulled back out to drill/cut, then reinstall. We also took the extra time to remove the legs from the windscreen when cutting/drilling just to be safe. Really not that hard - just take your time and measure twice...and elongate the holes in the legs a little bit to give yourself some adjustment.

Also keep in mind when switching to a different frame, your wing windows and visors will likely no longer fit...you'll need to buy ones made for the new frame or you'll have to drill/tap new holes and risk hitting the glass...

Having gone through all that for his car, I think I'll opt for Lexan should mine ever need a new windscreen...
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

The simple way is to purchase 3/16" scratch resistance lexan and cut to fit the frame you have. If concerned in fitting any good glass company can do it for you. You can used the old glass as a pattern. I like the smoke shade of lexan best. Your choice.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8stang View Post
Also keep in mind when switching to a different frame, your wing windows and visors will likely no longer fit...you'll need to buy ones made for the new frame or you'll have to drill/tap new holes and risk hitting the glass...
I've drilled and tapped my brass/chrome frame in place. It's not that difficult, just have to go slow. grinding down the tip of the tap may help to get rid of some of the taper and help avoid hitting the glass.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

What? Nobody has suggested Brookland Screens yet?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     

The new brass frame is wider. You will need to add spacers at the mounting point. I used play doe to get the thickness and angle. You will also need to notch out the body where the Brass arms go through.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

Vintage Motorsports (Cashburn) response is the most practical way to proceed in my opinion. My Backdraft Cobra (#1360) developed a passenger-side crack from bottom to top shortly after purchase. Backdraft had new glass windshields on back order. Well, after seven months of no windshields in stock, I installed a Lexan MR10 using my cracked windshield as a template. I am pleased with the new windshield and clean it regularly with micro-fiber cloths.
I did order the chrome over brass frame and glass for installation to give my windshield more support. Well, when the new chrome over brass frame arrived, it required modification to fit my cobra. I needed to drill holes to fit the new frame and purchase new visors and side wings to get all to fit. In short, I returned the chrome over brass windshield assemble and installed a Lexan MR10 windshield that was cut from a larger sheet. Job well done for about $100.00
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cashburn, why do you say that chrome over brass is good as long as you don't have a soft top? I have one and I run a bemini top as well as I have a soft top and I have had no problems.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Still a problem for the states that re
quire DOT glass at inspection, we need a reliable source for the replacement glass.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I appreciate everyone's input... Thank you! If I may ask another question... I read there were issues w/ distorted vision when looking through a Lexan windshield. Is this true... and if so... is it as bad as they claim... or is it being blown out of proportion?

I also agree w/ you mln385... BDR needs to find a reliable source for DOT compliant glass.
Brian John likes this.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

As much as I am happy with my Backdraft Cobra, I am extremely unhappy with their DOT windshield replacement inventory. Years back when I owned my first backdraft Cobra, I replaced four windshields over years of driving. Backdraft Parts in Florida sent me new replacement DOT approved windshields in timely fashion. As noted in a previous post, Backdraft totally let me down on having a new DOT windshield replacement for my new Cobra. So, after months of no DOT approved windshields from Backdraft, I installed a Lexon MR10 and have been happy ever since. OK, its not DOT approved. However, I have never heard of anyone with a Lexon windshield on a Backdraft Cobra being sited or not passing an inspection for registration. I would like to hear from those who have been penalized in some fashion for having a Lexon windshield.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

I can only comment for myself and the state of Ma. Every year when I get the inspection the sticker goes on the right lower windshield corner per regs. In this location is a dot insignia they look for. Not saying someone may not sneak by just saying in Massachusetts you could fail state inspection with out a DOT windshield.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW! Annual inspections in Massachusetts. I see why you must have a DOT windshield. Here in Arizona, we must have our Cobra cars inspected at the time of initial registration. No further inspections required. My Backdraft Cobra was new when inspected and had a DOT approved windshield. Lexan or non DOT windshields may indeed be limited to states where registration is not required on a periodic basis.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I get an annual inspection in Texas and have had no issues and i looked to see if windshield has a stamp marking and it does not . Only time i got penalized was for the chezzy emergency brake
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR0572 View Post
I get an annual inspection in Texas and have had no issues and i looked to see if windshield has a stamp marking and it does not . Only time i got penalized was for the chezzy emergency brake
Yours is lexan, so no mark.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks cashburn ,was wondering ,In that case I can state vision is not an issue with the lexan windshield , maybe because VMS did it or just got lucky no issues at All with Vision .
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm in Texas too... and also deal with annual inspections. However... when I pull in with the Cobra for an inspection... the person inspecting the car is usually a bit "star struck"... and then other techs from around the shop come over to take a look... and it's been my experience that they miss checking some things as a result.

Good to know vision isn't impaired with Lexan... thank you.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yea I love it too ,I even bring my own oil and let them do it , don't have to worry about disposal that way
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

I've have own my backdraft for 14 years #84 and after 3 windshields, I went to the lexan MR10 ,optically clear and no scratches after three years. and if you live in Chicago it it might stop a bullet.
BDR0572 and BDR_Boy like this.