Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Can you tell us more about getting 335s under the wells? I'm interested as I have no traction on 315s.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
Can you tell us more about getting 335s under the wells? I'm interested as I have no traction on 315s.
What engine, rear, and tire brand/model are you running?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, Roush 427R, T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'd also like to see what engine and tires you're running. I have a Roush 427R and don't have much problems hooking with 305s in the rear. I'm running Toyo R888s.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
What engine, rear, and tire brand/model are you running?
408 Windsor Keith Craft, Goodyear Eagle F1 315/35/17

I plan on buying proxies, but they probably won't be enough. We will see, just curious as to what modifications needed to be done for 335s. I have no traction 1st or 2nd. Even a roll in second, and it will spin them. Laterally they wash out easy as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     

I'm running Nitto 555R 335's on my BDR. I'm not sure what, if anything, was done by the guys at Vintage to make it work, but it looks nasty from the back (in a good way).

OP, I haven't looked into posting pics on here but feel free to check out my pics under x96535 on Instagram.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96535 View Post
I'm running Nitto 555R 335's on my BDR. I'm not sure what, if anything, was done by the guys at Vintage to make it work, but it looks nasty from the back (in a good way).

OP, I haven't looked into posting pics on here but feel free to check out my pics under x96535 on Instagram.
Your cobra is sick. I really love what Backdraft is doing in regards to paint and trim scheme. Mine is much more conservative in design.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
408 Windsor Keith Craft, Goodyear Eagle F1 315/35/17

I plan on buying proxies, but they probably won't be enough. We will see, just curious as to what modifications needed to be done for 335s. I have no traction 1st or 2nd. Even a roll in second, and it will spin them. Laterally they wash out easy as well.
If you have 17s then you have an earlier car and may not have the body changes the factory made over the years to get more clearance in the rear fenders. I believe the change was made when going from RT2 to RT3 in the 900 build number range.

The Eagle F1s are most of your traction issue.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96535 View Post

What BDR build number is yours?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
There was a time the factory 18s had a rear backspacing that allowed the 335s to work. That time is no longer... but his car has that setup.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Sweet looking car. Are you going supercharged or turbocharged?

Regarding your Vette, most modified cars I've read about that are going mid 8's in the 1/4 are running in the 190's or higher in the half mile. Is there a reason the mph is where it's at on the Vette?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
Sweet looking car. Are you going supercharged or turbocharged?

Regarding your Vette, most modified cars I've read about that are going mid 8's in the 1/4 are running in the 190's or higher in the half mile. Is there a reason the mph is where it's at on the Vette?
Thanks for the compliment. I'm going the supercharged route.

As for the 1/2 mile speed, traction was NON-existent. 1st and 2nd were useless. I'd start hooking in 3rd. I do think the vette can go 200 mph in the 1/2. Point in fact, on the 181 mph run, I had a 56.36 mph increase between 1/4 and 1/2 mile speeds. Here are the stats from that run:

60 ft - 2.538
1/4 ET - 12.797
1/4 MPH - 124.79
1/2 ET - 18.595
1/2 MPH - 181.15

There are few events coming up, so we shall see.

John
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not just a straight line brute

Here's a short update that's focused on making the car put down the power as well as excel in both a straight line and in the turns.

VMS's Rear suspension upgrade:

VMS's front suspension upgrades:

Gotta feed the beast - upgraded fuel system components:

Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I'm going the supercharged route.

As for the 1/2 mile speed, traction was NON-existent. 1st and 2nd were useless. I'd start hooking in 3rd. I do think the vette can go 200 mph in the 1/2. Point in fact, on the 181 mph run, I had a 56.36 mph increase between 1/4 and 1/2 mile speeds. Here are the stats from that run:

60 ft - 2.538
1/4 ET - 12.797
1/4 MPH - 124.79
1/2 ET - 18.595
1/2 MPH - 181.15

There are few events coming up, so we shall see.

John
That 60 ft is terrible, and that hurts your ET. Your trap speed is basically what a stock C6Z would run. I don't know what altitude you are at, but I'm thinking you need more power to hit 200 in the half. I'm not sure you'd hit 200 in the 1 mile, though it is only 19 mph, you are covering some ground fast. You'd have to gain that 19 miles per hour in less than 10 seconds. In general traction hurts your et, but doesn't significantly affect your trap. Just my general experience.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That 60 ft is terrible, and that hurts your ET. Your trap speed is basically what a stock C6Z would run. I don't know what altitude you are at, but I'm thinking you need more power to hit 200 in the half. I'm not sure you'd hit 200 in the 1 mile, though it is only 19 mph, you are covering some ground fast. You'd have to gain that 19 miles per hour in less than 10 seconds. In general traction hurts your et, but doesn't significantly affect your trap. Just my general experience.
I'll agree the 60 ft is terrible because I had to roll out in 1st spinning, then grab second spinning and just as i'm hooking, I'm at/past the 1/4 mile. And the 1/4 ET is slower than a stock C6Z. I know because my car has run 8.5 at 160+ in the 1/4. Trust me the power is there. But I'm curious, what have you run in the 1/2? I'd definitely welcome input based on experience.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 03-10-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My BDR is Build 784 with last 4 of con being 1165.

Last edited by Xmas; 03-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll agree the 60 ft is terrible because I had to roll out in 1st spinning, then grab second spinning and just as i'm hooking, I'm at/past the 1/4 mile. And the 1/4 ET is slower than a stock C6Z. I know because my car has run 8.5 at 160+ in the 1/4. Trust me the power is there. But I'm curious, what have you run in the 1/2? I'd definitely welcome input based on experience.
I've never done the half. We have the mile down here in Texas, and if it wasn't booked I'd say you'd have fun participating. Most of my racing has been on a 1/4 mile strip, an SCCA. My C5Z was stock when I ran it, and it cut 1.8 60s and 12.51@114 through the 1/4. I did some modding but never got to strip it. I live in between 2 drag strips, and both are 2 hours away, so not to accessible. Now that my girls are older I'd like to strip this Cobra just to see where it is at. I'm thinking 11.0-11.3 at around 123 or so, but I need to run it to find out. Ive been running SCCA solo to burn these tires out, but they are rock hard.

So those times are from your run at the 1/2 mile? Why are you 40mph slower from your 1/4 mile runs?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So those times are from your run at the 1/2 mile? Why are you 40mph slower from your 1/4 mile runs?
Yup, those are from the 1/2. As said, my brass ring in the 1/2 is 200 mph. As for the speed differential - fully prepped, sticky 1/4 mile drag venue versus incredibly crappy airport runway surface and no traction management. As a point of reference, Sal Patel (who currently holds the US 1/2 record with his Viper that's run 6's in the 1/4) didn't reach 200 mph on that track that day. Sal had ProEfi working its electronic butt off that day - you can hear it in his videos pull power well past the 1/4.

Where does that leave things? Me being a keyboard crusher at the moment. ha! I'll be sure to post up my runs in the next few months. Good, bad or indifferent.

p.s. I don't have the stones to run the vette in the 1 mile - my car will run far faster than I'm willing to run it. I give mad props to those running the crazy numbers. Heck, others are run 247+ mph is the 1/2 mile these days. The landscape has changed. I will live by my brass ring goals vs. the crazy platinum numbers folks are posting these days. Great fun and times to be a speed enthusiast. Cheers.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was looking at the mile results and it appears that with that trap speed at the 1/2 mile you'd be somewhere between 200-220 which is very impressive. The slow 1/4 mile is what through me off, and mostly the trap speed. What will this Cobra be geared for?
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

That 56 mph increase between the 1/4 and 1/2 mile is very telling about the conditions. No doubt your capable of 190's in the 1/2 mile based on your 160+ mph 1/4 on a prepped track. Cool stuff.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's number 1240. I believe the original owner purchased it from Vintage around September of 2013.

Quote:
Your cobra is sick. I really love what Backdraft is doing in regards to paint and trim scheme. Mine is much more conservative in design.
Thanks! I think my choice of colors in order would be:

1. The same gray as the OP's car in this thread, all blacked out without stripes
2. Tour de France Blue, all blacked out, no stripes
3. Traditional Indigo Blue w/White Stripes
4. My car lol

I do love how menacing the all black (mainly) looks on my car. I got the dreaded Backdraft crack in my windshield, so I ordered a polycarbonate replacement. It's getting 50% tint applied to it now, so the car should look even more menacing with it installed!

Quote:
Here's a short update that's focused on making the car put down the power as well as excel in both a straight line and in the turns.

VMS's Rear suspension upgrade:

VMS's front suspension upgrades:

Gotta feed the beast - upgraded fuel system components:

Will you hurry up and finish this car so you can get tires of it and sell it to me!!! Damn! So sexy.
1SwtRide likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: