Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR0572 View Post
Pass every thing BUT a GAS station
Truer words don't exit!
Old 09-16-2017, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Novelty bucket list item checked off- picked up a buddy whose been along for Mayhem's build to go into NYC for an impromptu gathering at Manhattan Motorsports. I do NOT recommend driving our cars in NYC or Hoboken NJ - potholes galore. But, talk about looks, thumbs up, questions and everything in between as we're lugging along in traffic.

Added bonus - Jay came into NYC to meet us at the dealership!

We got there early so we parked on the roof of the dealership (6 floors up).

When we took the car elevator down to leave and the door opened, with Jay standing behind the car, a woman asked if should could hear us rev the engine. I looked back at Jay who was still in the elevator, he smirked, backed out of the elevator so as not to blow his ear drums and who am I not to oblige - a few blips to 6000. We rolled out of the elevator and got another request to do the same thing. Rinse repeat to a cheer of the people around. Couldn't stop laughing and my ears are still ringing.
6t8stang likes this.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 09-16-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I promised to take you all along on my Cobra journey. That includes the elation of taking delivery and the realities of building a crazy powerful car. This car has brought me sheer and "sheared" pleasure... Mayhem's lung and heart overwhelmed the DriveShaftShop custom axle. Rolled into a 2nd gear, really nice pull (this car is soooo fun) and 'pop'. No more power to the rear wheels. Waiting for word back from DSS. So, for the uninitiated who wants to go down the powerful car rabbit hole, do expect bumps and bruises along the way! Buuuuuut, for those who want to take this adventure, I've not experienced better customer service from any performance shop (and I've experienced a few). So, VMS (Jay, Brian, and their pops) are among the best. Because of them, I feel like I know what it feels like to own a Veyron. VMS will take care of owners (and others who need info, which is even more telling.

lakercobra likes this.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 09-29-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

VMS just keeps on delivering. Here's a first drive video they put together. I'm impressed and, yes, I'm biased

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Beautiful sound! I'm really interested in your impressions of your engine combination. How is it around town in terms of flexibility and low RPM throttle response, and how does the power come on when you mash the gas?

I'm guessing that this just might be the perfect setup for a light, rear drive sports car - better balanced than big inch, low RPM torque monsters that evolved in big, heavy cars that would barely move without all that low end grunt. Keep us posted with your experiences.
1SwtRide likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is this really November in NJ?!?

It was unseasonably warm today in NJ. So, what does one do on such a beautiful day? Duh, car things!!! Mayhem has gotten many compliments. What has impressed me the most? The compliments coming from serious, jaded gear heads. I'm absolutely, dead-set in lust with this car. Well done Vintage Motorsports, well done.

lakercobra likes this.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bad company...

Mayhem got a good detail today. Oh, and it had some bad....err good company too!

oshuwah likes this.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those are great pictures of great cars. You are indeed one fortunate person.

Ron
1SwtRide likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Who needs milk?

Who said these things are multi-use! Quite the grocery-getter if I do say so myself

lakercobra likes this.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I realize I have a problem...I like to get groceries too quickly...hahaha

Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
I realize I have a problem...I like to get groceries too quickly...hahaha

That’s a big bottle of wine
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

What was the outcome of your axle failure from the DSS? I ask because I have just now purchased their 28 spline level 5 axles for my SPF. I was told that they don't break them on 900rwhp 03 cobras.... go figure. I have a much less powerful 427 Windsor compared to your supercharged coyote but I went with Nitto drag radials and 4.30 gears....I also have a T-56 magnum. I elected to upgrade the axles to prevent the exact failure you have experienced. I would not have thought you would have sheared the axle off but I guess anything could happen. By the way your car is very nice and if I ever purchase a second cobra I would likely go with a supercharged coyote platform.... I'm sure it is exhilarating.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
What was the outcome of your axle failure from the DSS? I ask because I have just now purchased their 28 spline level 5 axles for my SPF. I was told that they don't break them on 900rwhp 03 cobras.... go figure. I have a much less powerful 427 Windsor compared to your supercharged coyote but I went with Nitto drag radials and 4.30 gears....I also have a T-56 magnum. I elected to upgrade the axles to prevent the exact failure you have experienced. I would not have thought you would have sheared the axle off but I guess anything could happen. By the way your car is very nice and if I ever purchase a second cobra I would likely go with a supercharged coyote platform.... I'm sure it is exhilarating.
Ace - what I ended up sheering was the output shaft. VMS ended up sending the diff to DSS so when they manufactured a new one, it would be spot on. DSS sent one back, which is in the car now. Waiting on the other so I'm granny shifting / driving the car.

Your car sounds like an absolute beast! Great upgrades to keep your peace of mind. I've been asked a few times why I didn't go the classic 427 route. It really comes down to reliability. I want to be able to start the car up every day, any day. The modern engine management computers do that without a glitch.

Great description too - exhilarating is an understatement and I've not yet even done a 'foot to the floor' 1, 2, 3, 4th gear run. I'll be sure to check back in when I do and hopefully I'll have video!

John
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklemming View Post
That’s a big bottle of wine
And my liver HATES me for it, BL!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
Ace - what I ended up sheering was the output shaft. VMS ended up sending the diff to DSS so when they manufactured a new one, it would be spot on. DSS sent one back, which is in the car now. Waiting on the other so I'm granny shifting / driving the car.

Your car sounds like an absolute beast! Great upgrades to keep your peace of mind. I've been asked a few times why I didn't go the classic 427 route. It really comes down to reliability. I want to be able to start the car up every day, any day. The modern engine management computers do that without a glitch.

Great description too - exhilarating is an understatement and I've not yet even done a 'foot to the floor' 1, 2, 3, 4th gear run. I'll be sure to check back in when I do and hopefully I'll have video!

John
John,
Glad to hear you are not far off from getting it resolved. We hope to have mine back on the road in the next 2-3 weeks. Be careful with that blown coyote....had a 03 cobra a few years back and those root blowers hit hard! Completely understand the route you took...I only went the way I did as I bought the car
used and it was a good base platform for my long term goals. I will update the thread and add a video when I can.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What does one do when in NJ on an unseasonably warm day in January, but you have to work? Drive baby, drive!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really nice cobra! Congratulations! What color code is the dark grey and where is the towing hitch mounted in the front of the cobra? Do you have closer pictures of it?
Thanks Marc
Old 01-28-2018, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastormajorquin View Post
Really nice cobra! Congratulations! What color code is the dark grey and where is the towing hitch mounted in the front of the cobra? Do you have closer pictures of it?
Thanks Marc
Marc - appreciate the compliment. It's Backdraft Racing's Magnetic Grey. Those are the jackpoints, not a towing hitch. The tow hook is clearer in this pictures

Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Photobucket test

Looks like Photobucket caved to the negative press as my build photos are visible now. Here are a few recent pictures to test that out..

Buzz, Ron61 and tennisbum132 like this.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had a fun, albeit hot (90F with 80+ % humidity), time racing at a roll racing event this weekend. Cobra did 156 mph (still working on the driver mod - I think it has 160+ in it) and the vette did 175 mph. Happy 4th everyone

Ron61, gjkrv8 and lakercobra like this.