Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Backdraft

Who has a new (2 years or less) Backdraft. Any problems from day one, any problems after a short time, anything that you wish it was different ?
I'm new to this.
Thank you.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

I am the proud owner of Backdraft Roadster #1360 powered by a Roush 427R (550 HP, 528 TRQ) with a Tremec 6-speed tranny. I purchased the vehicle new in January, 2015. Its my second Backdraft Roadster. I have had no warranty issues or any major issues with the vehicle. Just a few minor aggravations: 1) The steering column worked it way loose and I had to tighten the brackets--not regarded as a safety issue as I diagnosed and fixed the problem early on. 2) The trunk prop works fine although it is fastened to the fiberglass body and is not as substantial as I would like. 3) The standard windshield frame is not really sturdy and DOT approved windshields are at risk of cracking. (Sturdier windshields frames are an option at additional expense.) I do not race the vehicle and drive it well within its capabilities. My Backdraft Roadster has met or exceeded most all of my expectations.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Mine is older... 2007 build. I have #509... bought it used with only 900 miles on it.

The only reason I'm responding is I would echo the windshield concerns expressed on an earlier post. I have the aluminum frame... cracked the windshield in July 2016... and have been waiting on BDR to get a DOT approved windshield in stock ever since and, to that end... they requested I call back every three weeks to check. At first I thought that was an odd customer service practice... until I realized with time... they have no windshields... and they have no answers. As of late, getting the parts guy in Florida on the phone is a challenge and I no longer bother with leaving a message, as he has already demonstrated he is not very good about returning calls. I guess it stands to reason... what's he going to say... they still don't have any? I'd be a bit embarrassed too. BDR really needs to secure a source for DOT approved windshields.

From reading other posts on this forum... my experience with the windshield is not uncommon. Only recently began to give up... and am looking at other... non DOT compliant... options. Long story short... I'd get the windshield upgrade.

Beyond that... I love the car. I had a local speed shop install a tonneau cover for me... the car had one when new... but it somehow got misplaced. While they had it they looked it over and they were really impressed with the build quality. That felt good to hear... because he's a well respected, local hot rodding guru... and has been at it for decades. To have him be impressed with the build... spoke volumes regarding the quality.
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe. ZZ502FI. 502 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
Who has a new (2 years or less) Backdraft. Any problems from day one, any problems after a short time, anything that you wish it was different ?
I'm new to this.
Thank you.
I bought mine new almost two years ago. Current miles 1450. First problem which is common, bad fuel sending unit at 200 miles. Replaced, but getting an accurate fuel quantity is a pain. Morroso Oil pan weld seam gave way in one spot, mess on garage floor but not much oil loss. Replaced. Car would not start, found corroded magnetic electronic piece under distributer cap. Replaced. Brake light bulb went out, replaced both with better quality bulbs.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     

Mine is number 1240, built in 2012 I believe. The only issues I've had are the glass windshield cracking due to the aluminum windshield frame and a piss-poor excuse for a parking brake. These are known issues with our cars.

For the windshield there are two fixes: buy the more expensive chrome over brass windshield frame or change the windshield out to a Polycarbonate one. I went with the latter. It isn't DOT approved, but no one knows or cares to check. Plus it saves 15 lbs in weight.

I have read up on some fixes for the parking brake on here, but I haven't got around to implementing it yet.

Other than those two things, I've been extremely happy with my Backdraft. Mine has a 5.0 Coyote with the TKO600 5-speed transmission. It's a fun little car (but needs more power).

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I have number 1214. The rear axle seals have always leaked. The leak started at just 800 miles. I have over 12,000 miles on the car.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedeutsch View Post
I have number 1214. The rear axle seals have always leaked. The leak started at just 800 miles. I have over 12,000 miles on the car.
Did you fix that ? if yes, how ?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96535 View Post
Mine is number 1240, built in 2012 I believe. The only issues I've had are the glass windshield cracking due to the aluminum windshield frame and a piss-poor excuse for a parking brake. These are known issues with our cars.

For the windshield there are two fixes: buy the more expensive chrome over brass windshield frame or change the windshield out to a Polycarbonate one. I went with the latter. It isn't DOT approved, but no one knows or cares to check. Plus it saves 15 lbs in weight.

I have read up on some fixes for the parking brake on here, but I haven't got around to implementing it yet.

Other than those two things, I've been extremely happy with my Backdraft. Mine has a 5.0 Coyote with the TKO600 5-speed transmission. It's a fun little car (but needs more power).

Good luck with your search!
Did you ever looked underneath ? Is your engine/transmission assembly parallel with the frame? Is the engine computer mounted on the fire wall behind the engine or somewhere else ?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Talking Backfdraft Quality

Mine is old at 0572 but as others have stated the quality is supreme , I bought mine 3 years ago and have had no issues other than normal wear issues , saying that it was built in 2007 and have had no issues and trust me I don't baby it actually have vid of me pulling the wheels for a quick chrip on touch down. Love the Backdraft
Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
Did you fix that ? if yes, how ?
I had new axle seals installed, but they still leak. It seems that my new car was installed with used BMW axles. I still drive the car, but in the future a different type of seal will be installed or new axles will be required for the proper fix.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedeutsch View Post
I had new axle seals installed, but they still leak. It seems that my new car was installed with used BMW axles. I still drive the car, but in the future a different type of seal will be installed or new axles will be required for the proper fix.
You probably mean output shafts. The axles are certainly new. The output shafts are reconditioned just as the BMW differentials are. A small leak at the axle seals is quite common. We address it here before they leave when we catch it.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

I have #1333

1) steering column worked loose, twice. I could pull the steering wheel and feel the slop, so removed the steering wheel, pulled the hub, reset the turn signal unit, bolted everything back together. Easy fix, a little annoying but not a safety issue.
2) electrical issues. A short in the turn signal circuit and grounding issue on gauge lights.
3) broken motor mount.
4) sidepipes coming loose at the header collector. I replaced the bolts and locktited everything, fixed.
5) mentioned earlier in thread, the trunk deck prop arm works great when it is connected to the body. The cheap rivets conspire to set the prop arm free.
6) the most serious issue is that I broke the large bolt that attaches the rear diff trailing arm to the chassis. I think this was related to the broken motor mount, the left side of the engine lifts on acceleration and, I think, it was torqueing the entire drivetrain. This was a pretty expensive fix.
7) rear seal on tranmission leaks.

Some of the things I highlight are on Backdraft, while others are not. FWIW, Backdraft is pretty horrible when it comes to customer support, well I guess they would be horrible if they even acted like they offered customer support. I gave up on any attempt at contacting them for information, relying instead on this forum and whatever knowledge I could scrape off the internet pipes.
Cobraza and hauss like this.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default steering wheel play

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMCobra View Post
I am the proud owner of Backdraft Roadster #1360 powered by a Roush 427R (550 HP, 528 TRQ) with a Tremec 6-speed tranny. I purchased the vehicle new in January, 2015. Its my second Backdraft Roadster. I have had no warranty issues or any major issues with the vehicle. Just a few minor aggravations: 1) The steering column worked it way loose and I had to tighten the brackets--not regarded as a safety issue as I diagnosed and fixed the problem early on. 2) The trunk prop works fine although it is fastened to the fiberglass body and is not as substantial as I would like. 3) The standard windshield frame is not really sturdy and DOT approved windshields are at risk of cracking. (Sturdier windshields frames are an option at additional expense.) I do not race the vehicle and drive it well within its capabilities. My Backdraft Roadster has met or exceeded most all of my expectations.
I just bought one and the only problem is the steering wheel has several inches of play in itl 2016 model with 2500 miles
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

As an update from a year ago...

Regarding my windshield... after getting sticker shock from a couple of local plastics companies for a sheet of MR10 Lexan... I turned to James Yale w/ Radical Roadsters in Houston to get a replacement in that material. He was a very nice guy to deal with and I could not have made it for what he charged. Removal and reinstallation was a snap (needed a friend)... and there aren't any visual distortion issues. For all intents and purposes... it looks and performs just like glass. I clean it with nothing more than a clean, damp microfiber towel. As a plus... after not getting any support from Backdraft in Florida... I was kind of happy to not have the Backdraft logo splashed across the top like the old one had.

The only other issue I have at the moment... is a grounding issue similar to what jeffnolan describes. I bought a grounding buss with a cable/wire that will run back to the negative battery post... just haven't had the chance to install it yet and run my grounds to it.

Beyond that... no other issues... and the car has over 4,000 miles now. I'm a little shocked by the stories of steering issues... mine has been rock solid.
hauss likes this.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Ford 302 Stroked 347
Not Ranked     

BDR#0016, Wait until it has 30k on it like mine, I don't understand why purchase one of these if you're not going to drive it.
triggertime likes this.

Last edited by Peter T; 04-01-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Mine was done last year, I put 1600 miles on it in a couple of months that I was able to drive it. The front brake was locking up and Jay from Vintage said park it and I will come pick it up with my trailer. He put a different booster in it and it has been fine since. There have been some minor issues that were taken care of when I brought it in for its free 500 mile service. I took it out this weekend with cold tires and almost spun it entirely around, not good and I learned a valuable lesson with that one. Stupid driver error, im just glad it didnt end worse.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Phil and planmgb: how did you fix the play in your steering? When hitting bumps above 30mph, my steering wheel shakes a bit. I'd love to tighten that up a bit as I cant imagine what it's like hitting a good bump at 50 or 60 mph.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft coytoe motor with VMP blower
Not Ranked     
Default steering shake

mine has 1500 miles front shakes when I hit a bump . all brackets tight. did backdraft have bad bearings. can grab steering wheel and it goes up and down. can grab where inner steering goes in outer housing it rocks up and down. called backdraft florida and like always rude and no help. any fixes ?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 2018 backdraft

Have not had my car long enough to have any problems and hopefully do not.Like it a lot ! What a thrill to drive.Always had 60 s muscle cars and this is by far funner to drive.Craft performance 408 stroker ,550 hp,too 600.Ernie at Lone star muscle cars did final assembly and did fantastic job.
Millsy likes this.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft

Purchaser a Backdraft Cobra several weeks ago. After just 220 miles, here a few issues that have come up so far:

1. Engine experiencing severe "dieseling" / run on when engine shuts down. Entire engine rattles VIOLENTLY making a loud banging sound.

2. Startup is getting more and more difficult to initiate and keep a stable idle...after as many as three attempts and engine shuts down .Since it is a carbureted vehicle, when cold, I have followed the recommended procedure of pumping the gas 3-4 times before staring, as I was told. This is still an issue

3. Vibration continues at both screen deflectors once car is in motion. I have tightened both connecting screws. But situation continues. When wind screen is folded slightly either way , you can see the screws do NOT fit correctly and come out of placement area.....extremely annoying

4. Rattling also areas to be coming from the side exhaust pipes.....hard to tell when driving

4. First time windshield wipers turned on , wipers ceased to work

5. Orange light comes on all the time. I was under the impression that the switch next to it was to turn on auxiliary fan to provide additional cooling. Why does the light come on when the ambient temperature outside is mid 50 degrees Fahrenheit?

6. Red & .Blue wires from bottom of engine block to front fan appear to have a ground clearance that is dangerously low

7. Fuel gauge is shill showing erratic levels of petrol. Gauge appears to be not operating as it should

8. Braking not progressive; need to press brake pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN to initiate stopping vehicle

9. Seat adjustment is stuck; will not move forward or backward

10. Parking brake weak at best