Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausflorida View Post
So far the car has been a hell of a nightmare. Not even talking about Backdraft customer service, they just don't care. I will try headquarters next.
You have been dealing with "Headquarters".

Reg is the owner of Backdraft along with Tony Martin.

Kevin.....
DanEC likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

I too have a windshield issue since last July that I keep putting off. I'm going to guess the OP has an aluminum windshield frame?

Brian in parts down in Florida initially told me that the manufacturer of their glass also made glass for other production cars... and those orders were always much larger... so BDR had to be patient & wait for the manufacturer to reach a point where they could retool and make the handful quantity of windshields that BDR required. Then... in another conversation... he told me BDR didn't currently have anyone to make the replacement glass for the aluminum frames.

What I can't help but wonder... BDR is out of stock for replacement glass for an aluminum frame... and has been for well over a year to my knowledge... yet... during that same time... they seem to continue to sell roadsters with aluminum windshield frames. Where does the glass for those new roadsters come from... and why can't they get glass for replacements?

Like Grey 65 mentioned... sadly... you HAVE been dealing with the "headquarters".
Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Boy View Post
I too have a windshield issue since last July that I keep putting off. I'm going to guess the OP has an aluminum windshield frame?

Brian in parts down in Florida initially told me that the manufacturer of their glass also made glass for other production cars... and those orders were always much larger... so BDR had to be patient & wait for the manufacturer to reach a point where they could retool and make the handful quantity of windshields that BDR required. Then... in another conversation... he told me BDR didn't currently have anyone to make the replacement glass for the aluminum frames.

What I can't help but wonder... BDR is out of stock for replacement glass for an aluminum frame... and has been for well over a year to my knowledge... yet... during that same time... they seem to continue to sell roadsters with aluminum windshield frames. Where does the glass for those new roadsters come from... and why can't they get glass for replacements?

Like Grey 65 mentioned... sadly... you HAVE been dealing with the "headquarters".
I can speak to this some... there are I believe 4 different versions of the frames and with it 4 different shapes of the glass. There seems to be 2 variations in circulation right now on the latest cars.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Save your money, these types of tools do not generate the "shock" needed to loosen an overly tight/too long since removal knock-off. A six pound lead hammer is the tool and otherwise something like this will work: Spinner Removal

I'm just a little afraid with my black painted wheels that the color will come off, considering all the luck I had so far with the car.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

I have not had to buy any parts, but I can speak directly to emailing Reg. I have a very early car and sent him an email asking about it. He sent me a prompt reply with what he knew about it as well as some pictures of it while it was in their factory. Very professional and friendly for what that is worth. The more time I spend on the forum, the more I am convinced my next car will come from Cashburn, even though I am based in Missouri. He invests a lot of time on this forum and that impresses me. And more importantly, he knows his stuff!
6t8stang and BDR0572 like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
The more time I spend on the forum, the more I am convinced my next car will come from Cashburn, even though I am based in Missouri. He invests a lot of time on this forum and that impresses me. And more importantly, he knows his stuff!
Proving that WHO you buy from is more important than WHAT you pay! Would you spend a little more up front to know that you will be taken care of properly? Dealers like Jay, who support the forum and are active should be a clue that they are the ones you want to do business with.

The cost of delivery from a distant dealer is marginal compared to the cost for redoing and repairing.

Just some seeds for thought..........
1795 and BDR0572 like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with what folks are saying about Jay and Vintage Motorsports. I ordered my car back in 2006 and had some "never before done" mods/additions to my car while still at the factory. Jay called the factory prior to me completing my order and insured that the things I wanted done could and would be done. I was deployed to Iraq as my car was being built and during final assembly at Vintage. Jay kept me informed via email of the progress of my built every step of the way. It was a nice distraction from what was going on in my AO!

After delivery I had a few thing fail on the car. They were not little, inexpensive things to correct either. I too had a cracked windshield – Jay took care of it and sent me a replacement. I had a side pipe that had pin holes in in – Jay took care of it and sent me a replacement. My turn signal switch failed – Jay took care of it and sent me a replacement. ALL of these were at NO COST to me!! He even covered shipping from CT to TX. I can’t tell you how many times I emailed jay and asked questions about some technical aspect of the car. Each time Jay answered back in a timely manner. I highly recommend anyone considering a new Backdraft to give Jay a call. As others have said; “Who you buy from is more important than WHAT you pay!”
BDR0572 and 1SwtRide like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default Bought Through VMS

I to bought mine through VMS and cashburn was my rep , even though I bought a used one they treated me like it was new and for that I and grateful. no problems with mine they set it up nicely and the delivery cost was actually lower than I expected to Texas
Old 07-12-2017, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I concur that no matter where you go, it is the quality of the person that you are dealing with, not the make, that is the ultimate decider of whether you will have a good experience or not. There are no perfect manufactures, each one has it's little quirks and the quality people stand out. They do not argue with you, but rather look to assist you in solving your issue.

Jim
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Having worked for a Backdraft dealer for several years, I can attest to Boynton Beach operations random unresponsiveness. Also the frequent windshield breakage. The aluminum frames are just not strong enough, and at $400 ++++, you don't want to have to replace it very often. If mine ever cracks, I'm heading to Home Depot for a sheet of Lexan !!!
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Boy View Post

I was wondering too, why they show out of stock on their web site and are still building cars.

I always thought DOT approved glass needs to have the manufacturer number markings on it (DOT normally assigns a number to every approved manufacturer), but there is nothing on mine.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey 65 View Post
You have been dealing with "Headquarters".

Reg is the owner of Backdraft along with Tony Martin.

Kevin.....
Kevin,

Interesting, I was under the impression corporate headquarters is TR-TEC PTY LTD in South Africa and they are here just the US franchise disti.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REY 427 View Post
So sorry to hear you're having all of these issues. Keep being persistent and maybe they'll mail you some touch up paint to fix that paint chip, or at least they give you the paint code so you can source some out. As far as the brake leak, I wouldn't risk driving it. Get it towed to a local shop and have them look into it there. Wish you lived in Orlando so you could take it to my buddy's shop. I've taken mine to him several times for various reasons (oil pan leak, new clutch, and other minor things) so he's gotten pretty familiar with BDR Cobras.
Could you let me know the name of your buddy's shop. Always good to have an experienced backup. Maybe we go cruising one day when I get everything straightened out, you are not that far away. Saw your drone shots, pretty cool, can't wait to do some nice shots with my drone in follow mode.
REY 427 likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure the cars come from S.A. with the windshields.. The issue is they really don't stock much in Boynton Beach.

A while back it was exhaust pipes, Boynton Beach couldn't get anyone exhaust pipes for months, yet they were selling new cars with them as the cars come from S.A. with them.

Before that it was the header to exhaust pipe gasket that was out of stock for months.

Reg Dodd and Tony Martin own Backdraft. Reg lives in Miami and runs the USA operations and Tony lives in S.A. and runs the factory.

This is going to be long….

I race my car and destroy quite a few parts and am always in need of parts and here is my personal opinion of three of the dealers.

Radical Roadsters, Houston, Texas.
My car was sold by James Yale. I obviously have been to his shop, James is small dealer and does his best to help anyone, BDR owner, Factory Five owner, etc, etc.. But being as he has a small shop his knowledge is a little limited just because he doesn't have the volume to have experienced all the things that can break on these cars. I have called James from the track on the weekend, he answers his cell and does his absolute best to help. In 2015, I broke both motor mounts while racing in Scottsdale, AZ and called James on his cell and he went to his shop on a Sunday to pack up a pair of motor mounts and overnighted them to me so it would be at my house in Fort Worth when I got there so I could get car fixed and race ready for a race that coming weekend in Texas. James is a total stand up guy.

Vintage Motorsports, North Haven, Connecticut.
I have never visited this shop. Jay (Cashburn) is the face of this shop which he operates with his Brother Brian. This is the premier BDR shop, they can and will modify the cars to whatever their customers desire and the modifications always look factory…. I have called Jay from the track on weekends and he answers his cell and does his absolute best along with Brian to get me the information I needed. In 2017, I broke a half shaft on my car while racing in Scottsdale, AZ on a Friday. I called Miami at 1:00pm Eastern time and said I snapped a half shaft and needed one sent to Fort Worth pronto so I could make next race the following weekend. I was told we got NADA….. So I called Jay, I told him I snapped a half shaft and Miami had none in stock… Jay said they had no spare half shafts…… I said I would call James at Radical Roadsters…. James had Nada… So I emailed Jay and said I was screwed and asked what shop he has custom half shafts made for the HP monsters he builds for some people…. He replied back asking which diff to half shaft spacer I had on my car.. I replied and then he replied back saying… “We are overnighting you a half shaft"…. I never asked if one fell out of the sky or if Brian pulled one off one of the unsold cars in their shop. All I know is I made the race that coming weekend. Jay and Brian are the GOLD STANDARD…. I did not buy my car from them, I really don’t spend much $$ with them, but they have provided me with tons of data and help over the years.

Backdraft World Wide Headquarters, Boynton Beach, Florida.
I have visited this shop. Reg has always been nice to me, sometimes I get a quick response to my emails, sometimes I get crickets from him. Brian runs the parts area, Brian is nice and try to help, but Boynton stocks almost NOTHING. I ordered a set of their race struts with camber plates from them… Their website showed IN STOCK. Brian called me after I placed my order and said all the parts to make them were in stock and they had to be send to machine shop for a little machine work. It took 2 months to receive them and since I bought my set their website has shown they are out of stock for both camber plates and the race struts. They have been out of stock for both items for almost 3 years. People have bought cars from Boynton and had the car shipped to them and the car would not start..etc..etc… I would not buy a car from Boynton unless I lived close enough to their shop to bring it to them when things go wrong with the car.

Kevin.....
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is Backdraft's response when I was asking about the windshield availability.

-----

Hi Klaus,

Wow, very sorry to read about the windshield. Unfortunately, the manufacturer that supplies the windshield glass to the factory has closed and no replacement glass is currently available at this time. The factory is currently working on a solution. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have a resolution in the near future.

Thank you,
Brian
---------

I just can't believe this, how are they building cars? I guess I have to look into the Lexan options, can anyone point me in the right direction what kind of Lexan or maybe a shop that does custom Lexan or Glass.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausflorida View Post
Here is Backdraft's response when I was asking about the windshield availability.

-----

Hi Klaus,

Wow, very sorry to read about the windshield. Unfortunately, the manufacturer that supplies the windshield glass to the factory has closed and no replacement glass is currently available at this time. The factory is currently working on a solution. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have a resolution in the near future.

Thank you,
Brian
---------

I just can't believe this, how are they building cars? I guess I have to look into the Lexan options, can anyone point me in the right direction what kind of Lexan or maybe a shop that does custom Lexan or Glass.
Well, that was certainly a polite screwing.
joyridin' and BDR_Boy like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is probably a stretch thinking Back Draft would consider this. With my employer in Aviation, If parts are unavailable on a current production Jet we cannibalize from the factory and off the production line in a pinch.
Looking at the BDR Boynton website there are 29 Unsold / unfinished RT3 cars, thus 29 windshields for spares....
Backdraft Racing - Cobra Replica for Sale | Backdraft Racing

Just thinking
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
This is probably a stretch thinking Back Draft would consider this. With my employer in Aviation, If parts are unavailable on a current production Jet we cannibalize from the factory and off the production line in a pinch.
Looking at the BDR Boynton website there are 29 Unsold / unfinished RT3 cars, thus 29 windshields for spares....
Backdraft Racing - Cobra Replica for Sale | Backdraft Racing

Just thinking
You should absolutely be demanding they pull the windshield off an unsold roller. I've been subscribed to this thread and every time you post it's more and more outrageous. How bad can their customer service be (maybe even worse than their build quality) and how many people are they turning off to their cars by not responding with action, here on this forum and to you. You are being way too patient and forgiving here and I think its (past) time to start getting angry. Unfortunately that may be the only way you get a reasonable outcome.
Blue66, joyridin' and klausflorida like this.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

I would have it towed, broken windshield and all to the front sidewalk of their place of business.
Make a bunch of signs

This is a NEW purchase, and you haven't had a chance to enjoy it.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Almost word for word what I was told by Brian the 2nd time. He's obviously had a lot of practice answering that question... so much so... it was probably done "copy, paste & send". Understand though... "hope to have a resolution in the near future"... doesn't mean anytime soon. I was told that a year ago... and if you search the forums... you'll find that problem has been going on for an even longer period of time.

Being that your car is brand spanking new... I can't understand why Boynton Beach wouldn't do exactly as spdbrake described to make it right. Instead... "Oh... we're sorry to hear that about your BRAND NEW car but... you're screwed". It might be time to do as Ozzie Goat suggested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: