Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BDR_Boy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Advice re Wiper Motor

Guys have a BDR early car anyone know what wiper motor they fitted to these thought it might be VW but guess could be anything
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backdraftparts. com sells em for $48.00 (quite reasonable)

And...wait for it.... they have them in stock! I'm pleasantly surprised.
Backdraft Parts - Wiper Motor
Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

my wiper motor works and the wipers still don't really do anything. The few times I have been in wet conditions, I've used my hand and a rag to clear the windshield.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's not the price but the fact it will be 5 times that by the time it gets here in the UK and not to mention the time if anyone knows what it is let me know thanks J.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahh, sorry, (blank profile) I assumed you were Stateside.
You are probably correct on the VW application though. I zoomed in on the Backdraft motor listed on their site and the it show a HS-113-?? part number.
The 113 series of wiper motors are used by VW. May be easier to take your old one into a parts shop and visually identity it.
Smoke under the dashboard
Old 05-29-2017, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

anyone have the full part number please thanks J
Tried to find this on VW failed plenty but none with the right loom and length of shaft?.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     
Default Modified attachment points

I have an early BDR. The replacement from them had a different bolt pattern where it attaches. Drilling out the new holes is a little tricky. Not a lot of room. maybe 4". Made a 1/4 steel plate template. Used an angle drill and cut a drill bit down to where I had just a little clearance.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is exactly as per BDR site so it must be right just need that full part number to find out what it's off and if I can get one here if I was over in the US I would just buy one might end up doing that anyway but sticks $200 on the job not to mention weeks, thanks J.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

I would suggest pulling yours out and going to the scrapper. That way you end up with the exact replacement and don't have fitment issues.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks but that would be a no brainier too many changes to motors it may not be even be VW although 113 series were fitted to these tried just about every vehicle, so it's a part number or at least a idea of the vehicle it's off then I might have a chance failing this will just bite the bullet and buy a unit of BDR just time and cost shipping it thanks anyway J.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Check out ebay. There are tons of them on there and you should be able to check out the pics to see if it matches up to yours. At the least, you can email the seller and ask questions.
I think most of the early 60's/70's 113A models are pretty much the same. Are you looking for the single speed or two speed model? The harnesses are different. With mine, I couldn't find a harness with the proper end on it so I used stak on connectors to connect to the wiper motor connector. Works great.

Bob
Old 05-30-2017, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob will possibly end up changing this to something more common here tried E Bay nothing with that long drive shaft or similar wiring search goes on. If I had that full part number I would be halfway there!!. J.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Does yours have the cable drive? If so, the cable is available through Moss motors and other sources pretty cheaply and it should be easy to adapt the wiring to the VW style motor.
Could you post a pic of your set up? Somebody might be able to help you out if they could see what you are up against and the motor you have now. Went and looked at the pic of the Backdraft motor linked above and I'm not familiar with it. Doesn't look like any of the VW motors I'm familiar with.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 05-31-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob your right it isn't VW had a look and closest so far is off a Suzuki van or 410 jeep, right wiring right type of mount just shaft isn't long enough. Mine doesn't have cable drive it's exactly the same one on the BDR site just operates rods via the rotational crank J.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After looking at the link above and checking out the units on ebay and elsewhere, my conclusion is this is a rear window wiper motor due to the long shaft. Several I saw from Jeeps looked almost identical except for the long shaft.
I would consider giving the Backdraft dealer a call to see what they fit or the part number and explain your situation. They may help you out, I've heard they are very responsive to their customers.

Bob
Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob going out end up having to get one and shipping it back here failed if I had the full part number I could cross ref it but sadly just a partial thanks J.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gave up mailed BDR twice didn't even get a response closest was Suzuki swift but ended up buying one from there site a friend is mailing it to me hard work or wot!! J.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to say I've had the same results via email or leaving voice messages to Backdraftparts.com.

Please post the fitment or lack thereof once you get it.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Sad to say that I TOO have had the same results with Backdraft parts using e-mail and voice mail messages. For a while there... I thought I was alone... but starting to see more & more people having the same experience... and being more & more vocal with their frustrations.
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes great cars but sadly little afterservice if this wiper motor is wrong which it possibly will be I will just junk the present system fit my own wiper unit just didn't want to butcher it all but there you go not one reply