Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     
Default Brake Booster

Would be nice if you could pass this on to Boyton Beach. Seems as they do not feel it necessary to correct the problem.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
We've been installing check valves since day one here. Mentioned it to the factory reps and {insert intentional silence}
You'd think the lack of industry standard check valves could become a product liability issue. They're prepared to risk that for lack of a cheap check valve? That makes no sense to me.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

Hey Cashburn,

Can you share a part number for the latest ones you guys install? To save us non-Vintage guys a little grief!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

I got my check valve at the local auto zone. They had one in a package at one of the odds and ends spinner racks. I think it was less than 5 bucks and fit perfect. Just a black plastic 90 degree check valve.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #648 351w/385hp
Not Ranked     
Default Check valve

Jay said in the HELP section part number 80190...
Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA EDDY View Post
Jay said in the HELP section part number 80190...
Same PN I ordered from Amazon $5.95
Old 06-30-2017, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got my old booster sent out to Karps brake service. So now there will be an extra refurbished unit around.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3
Not Ranked     

Reviving old thread. Is there an easier way to replace the brake booster assembly without removing the steering column? If not, what is the proper method to remove the steering column?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lomdel,

I assume you just need clearance to fish the booster out past the steering column?

The steering column can be slid aft out of the way by: removing the 2 cross-bolted shaft screws just aft of top universal joint. Loosen the Allen screw in the Billet pillow block holding the Column to the footbox, Loosen the U-bolt under the dash holding the column. You will have to get slack in the wiring for the turn signal lever or slide it down the shaft as you pull the Steering wheel and column center shaft aft a foot or so. Keep in mind the outer column shaft housing will have to pushed aft from the engine compartment. You mentioned you have a Steering Wheel horn in another post so I'd check for wiring slack there as well.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Lomdel,

I assume you just need clearance to fish the booster out past the steering column?

The steering column can be slid aft out of the way by: removing the 2 cross-bolted shaft screws just aft of top universal joint. Loosen the Allen screw in the Billet pillow block holding the Column to the footbox, Loosen the U-bolt under the dash holding the column. You will have to get slack in the wiring for the turn signal lever or slide it down the shaft as you pull the Steering wheel and column center shaft aft a foot or so. Keep in mind the outer column shaft housing will have to pushed aft from the engine compartment. You mentioned you have a Steering Wheel horn in another post so I'd check for wiring slack there as well.
Thank you for the feedback. I will get under there and check...
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never had to take the steering column shaft out on my car #354. Mine had the smaller 8 inch booster. I actually found a place that had six of the 8 inch boosters and they were 99 bucks a piece on clearance. Was the same ATE Part Number that I got from backdraft several years back. I ordered 2 of them to keep as spares. I will try to find the place again and post on here. Karps was unable to rebuild the original that failed that I had sent to them. They could not source the internal gasket anymore.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would be great if I can replace the booster without removing the steering shaft...
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The new booster and master cylinder from the friendly guys at the Backdraft factory arrived today. It is considerably larger in diameter than the existing one. The steering shaft will have to be removed or slid back a foot or two to gain access. Then the clutch master cylinder will have to be moved out of the way as well. I have a right hand steering car. Will start to wrench on this task soon...
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: