Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By lakercobra
  • 2 Post By 1SwtRide
  • 1 Post By PHMCobra
  • 1 Post By jeffnolan
  • 1 Post By Georgie

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jonathan Motorcars and BDR questions

I shopped for Cobras a few times in the last several years... I was too picky and didn't have the right $$ to get the car I wanted with the options and color I wanted. I kept giving up and buying other cars on my list. I'm now ready to shop again and now add a cobra to the garage and settled in on BDR. a few questions below for you guys on this car:

https://www.jonathanmotorcars.com/19...c-427s-c-8.htm

1) Anyone have experience with Jonathan Motorcars in NJ? I couldn't find much on them but, the feedback I did find was positive. Anyone have opinions on buying a new BRD from them?

2) What all options are there to look for on a new BDR? This car lists a few options however, I haven't seen much difference in the recent BDRs to drive much of a cost difference.

3) Based on it being brand new and Jonathan completing fit/finish, anything else to look for when looking at a new BDR?

4) Is there much advantage to buying brand new BDR vs. a couple year old car with 1000-2000 miles?

Any other feedback on the car pasted above?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well I was going to ask if they would put an FE in it for you, then I read "Our vehicles need nothing; everything works, no Leaks..." so I guess that means "No FEs."
xb-60 and BDR0572 like this.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Iconic 427
Not Ranked     

I bought mine new from them in June 2016. Feel free to message me.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

pheagles- thanks for the reply, sent you a PM with some questions.

General questions for a PA registration... is your car titled as a 65 or, as the year it was built?

Any issues getting it inspected?

Did you have to add a defroster for PA inspection?

thanks,
Old 11-25-2017, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd0729 View Post
I shopped for Cobras a few times in the last several years... I was too picky and didn't have the right $$ to get the car I wanted with the options and color I wanted. I kept giving up and buying other cars on my list. I'm now ready to shop again and now add a cobra to the garage and settled in on BDR. a few questions below for you guys on this car:

https://www.jonathanmotorcars.com/19...c-427s-c-8.htm

1) Anyone have experience with Jonathan Motorcars in NJ? I couldn't find much on them but, the feedback I did find was positive. Anyone have opinions on buying a new BRD from them?

2) What all options are there to look for on a new BDR? This car lists a few options however, I haven't seen much difference in the recent BDRs to drive much of a cost difference.

3) Based on it being brand new and Jonathan completing fit/finish, anything else to look for when looking at a new BDR?

4) Is there much advantage to buying brand new BDR vs. a couple year old car with 1000-2000 miles?

Any other feedback on the car pasted above?

Thanks,
Chris
They are just a reseller... The car comes from S.A. assembled. The car has an Iconic motor, which is the local engine builder Reg uses in Miami. So it would be safe to say that the motor was installed in Miami... I.E. You are getting a car done by the people in Miami and the car was shipped to NJ.. I am sure the dealer in NJ wiped it down. Quality will be exactly the same as buying from Miami.

You are much better off buying used if you can find one you like.

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 11-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. We build cars here as opposed to just reselling them. We can build whatever you want. You waited this long, don't compromise on what you want.

If you are buying a new BDR do it before January 1st as the price is going up $3,000.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #1644
Not Ranked     

I live very close to Jonathan Motorcars, they're a good quality car dealership. I bought my wife a car from them and it was a nice experience; I would buy again.

...But I bought my Cobra from Vintage Motorsports!

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision. I sent you a message with my phone number, feel free to reach out to me and I will share my experience.

BDR0572 likes this.

Last edited by lakercobra; 11-27-2017 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: added image
Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I would also recommend buying from Vintage Motor Sports , did all mine on the phone and it arrived in perfect working order.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

I purchased the first Backdraft Cobra that Jonathan Motorcars had for sale shortly after they became a Backdraft Cobra dealership. I recognized that Jonathan Motorcars was a dealership, not an assembler. The vehicle was assembled and checked out by Speed Fanatix in Florida. The new Cobra (sterling grey with silver stripes) with a Roush 427R (550 HP) under the hood and a Tremec 6-speed Tranny was the car I was looking for. I purchased the vehicle following modest sales negotiations. The Jonathan Motorcars technicians and mechanics inspected the car with me at the dealership. I have enjoyed the vehicle for over 2 1/2 years. Performance has always met or exceeded my expectations. Problems have been quite minimal. I have adjusted the turn signal arm, replaced the battery and adjusted the windshield wipers. No warranty issues.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Topic Sentence (as my dad always suggested) - I'd recommend Vintage Motorsports for a few reasons.

Details:

Chris, I saw your post here and another that posed a question about people in NJ buying from Jonathan Motorcars (JM). Your posts conjured the beginning of my search for a Cobra Replica in December 2016. Bear with me as I get to why I think VMS is your place. I wanted something relatively close by, had no clue exactly what I was looking for but had an idea in my head of what I wanted. I hit up good 'ole google and JM popped up. Kudos to JM for their site. Hooked me. I scoured, refreshed, scoured and read the specs. I saw the prices for the cars, recognized I was limited it what I could get then started wondering about any follow up questions/issues/service. That got me thinking about what did I REALLY want. Something in stock or exercise a bit of patience (really hard for me once the Cobra bug bit) or see if I could find a shop within a 3-5 hour ride that could create a dream car. I did not have 'bespoke' in mind, but the more I'm asked about my VMS/BDR, the more people comment on the one-offness of Mayhem.

So, after coming to the realization that PHMCobra did, i.e., JM has solid inventory but does not have customization, I reset my search and did one of those boozed up introspective questions - what did I really want. Epiphany - something that needed to be customized at ever level that had one condition - 700+ rwhp in as stealth a package as possible. With that, I began my research not limited to any manufacturer, but rather a shop withing my geographic desire that had some experience in what I was looking for.

I'll cut things sorta-short. I didn't choose a Backdraft Racing replica. I chose Vintage Motorsports. I chose them because of the results from my hours and hours of online research. Good, bad, ugly and indifferent.

Jay, Brian and Ed (Jay's and Brian's father), delivered on every level. You can find my posts on this site with all the wonderful details (Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem ). I want to emphasize something that is the reason I wrote my topic sentence. VMS is 3ish hours from my house in NJ. VMS has gone so far as to deliver, pick up for tweaking, redeliver my car without cost, question or issue. WHO DOES THAT?! Jay said it is VMS's practice to assist customers by picking up / dropping off cars within a 3ish hour radius. I can't think of another performance shop that does that.

Another thought. No car is perfect. There is always a tweak, an issue or a modification. That's the nature of the modified/replica car world. When I finally agreed to purchase BDR 1591, Jay told me he was flying down to Florida to check on the car. I joked - yeah sure, you're looking for an easy vacation. He responded that he wished because it was going to be a day turn-around so he could check on my car and others to make sure they had no flaws. If they did, he explained, we'd just have to wait for it to be fixed. VMS won me over there.

I recognize I sound like a VMS fanboy (note - not BDR, although damn, it's a sexy car). Truth be told - I am. They get it. They get how much emotional and financial investment we have in these cars. Unlike other outfits I've dealt with in the performance world, VMS takes that all of that to heart to make sure that the variables they can control in the pre, during and post purchase process are to the buyer's advantage. Because of this, I encourage you to exercise a bit of patience, work with VMS to get the BDR roller you want and embrace the fun of making if yours with VMS's guidance.

If you've read this far - god bless you. But fun side note - I literally just got home from a 'working lunch/dinner'. I drove Mayhem. I'm sitting in the restaurant and a gentleman came into the bar area with a searching look. There weren't too many people there so he leaned down to me and the person I was with and asked, "do either you drive the Cobra outside?" I sheepishly responded, that's me. That turned into a 20 min conversation. I'm not THAT guy. I do not look for those encounters, but when someone compliments your car, asks questions about it and shares he's a restoration builder, I could only say, sit down, let me get you a beer and let's shoot the ****. This has happened to some degree almost everyplace I've parked the car. And the universal comment is - this car looks as if you picked out every aspect of it, and I have. Hence my bespoke comment earlier.

Parting thought - call Jay at VMS, explain all of your wants and needs. If VMS can't do it, they'll point in the right direction. Have a GREAT time with your journey.
tpatodd and lakercobra like this.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 11-26-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

I certainly agree with 1SwtRide in that Vintage Motor Sports is a first class, highly professional Backdraft Cobra/specialty car dealership/custom builder. VMS offers a wide variety of services ranging from building to repairing and servicing our specialty vehicles. Of particular interest to many cobra owners and 'to-be' Cobra owners, VMS will build the car of your dreams. And with their experience, knowledge and access to most all custom build equipment, VMS will build a reliable vehicle to one's desires. Also, if you own a VMS vehicle in the vicinity of VMS, you will always get premium repair services. There are those of us, however, who want a Backdraft Cobra as a simple build. Now from my perspective, I shopped my Backdraft Cobra with the dealerships that had my specified Cobra in stock and would negotiate price. I found Jonathan Motorcars to have a new Backdraft Cobra that met my needs and with a bit of negotiation also met my price. I do live in Arizona and would not be able to return the vehicle for service. As stated in my previous note, I am quite pleased with my Backdraft Cobra--my second Backdraft Cobra.
tpatodd likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMCobra View Post
I am quite pleased with my Backdraft Cobra--my second Backdraft Cobra.
This all day!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jesus, your Cobra looks goooood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercobra View Post
I live very close to Jonathan Motorcars, they're a good quality car dealership. I bought my wife a car from them and it was a nice experience; I would buy again.

...But I bought my Cobra from Vintage Motorsports!

I'm extremely satisfied with my decision. I sent you a message with my phone number, feel free to reach out to me and I will share my experience.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Never heard from you Chris. Did you buy one or give up???
Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Never heard from you Chris. Did you buy one or give up???
Apologies I fell out of touch here, got busy with work and holidays (I work for a kids related retail company ;-)
I didn't purchase yet, still shopping for a used BDR, looking to get under $50k . If anyone knows of something, let me know?

thanks,
Chris
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I should have 1 or 2 near that price point in month or so.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Would love to see what you get in. I'm looking at a few right now, hoping to purchase within the next couple months.
Any idea what colors and specs you're getting in?
thanks,
Chris
Old 12-30-2017, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

I bought my BDR from Millerspeed, which like Vintage, finishes the cars. There is a misconception about these cars that they come from SA and you drop in an engine, transimission, plug in the wiring harness and go have fun. There is a lot that needs to be done which requires specific knowledge, e.g. setting up the suspension, and input from the buyer, such as what style of shifter do you want. I have no experience with the reseller you are asking about, but I would want a dealer who has build experience with the cars and can work with you.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the Iconic 427. The Dart 351 block upped to 427 cubic inches is good for 575 hp on pump gas, while the Iconic comes in well below that. The warranty on the Iconic is not that great. You may say “480 hp is plenty” and I would not argue but, for me, I’ll take every extra pony you give me and will put it to work. As good as these cars are with 500 hp, they really are better closer to 600.
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Good Luck

The folks at Vintage Motorsports are great to work with. They have a beautiful shop and a chassis Dyno located within there facility. Working with Jay, Brian and Ed has been a very good experience you wouldn’t be disappointed. Good luck with you’re your purchase and Happy New Year! All the very best to you and your family! Georgie
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey, any chance you picked up those used Cobras?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: