Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     
Default Question for Texas Backdraft owners.

I recently purchased a new Backdraft while at Barrett-Jackson, the car should be here in a couple of weeks. Any registration issues? I’ve never registered a replica car before, I want to have all my bases covered.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Contact James Yale Radical Roadsters in Houston he is your local Backdraft guy. He will help you.
Bring it to the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos the first weekend in April and show it off. Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, stroked 428FE (462ci)
Not Ranked     

I purchased a used cobra from out of state last year and the registration process was very straight forward here in Houston. Have it inspected, take the appropriate paperwork to DMV/Tax office and pay your fees/taxes. The whole process took me around 3 hours, including driving to two locations.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RUFdriver,

Congratulations on your purchase. You will really enjoy the ride.

In regard to the Texas registration, it all depends what year the car is on the existing title. If it states 1965 like the MSO has from Backdraft, Spyglass would be correct. However, the year on the title is the year first registered, a form VTR 852 inspection has to be completed by a Master ASI Mechanic with all certifications A1 to A8 current and then you get a Custom Vehicle plate. That Master Mechanic is hard to find.

I did my Backdraft registration in April 2018 and it had a regular Texas title with the year date as the build date of 2005. That was an issue because of emission testing which the car would not pass. That is the reason for Custom Vehicle registration.

Give me a call at 713 960-2415, I can walk you through this, and tell you where that ASI Master Mechanic is located.

Best,
Nathan Margolis
Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Registration

Do a Google search for Texas Department of Motor Vehicles- Title of Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicles dated October 2017. Would have posted a PDF but too large of a file (57 pages) and this forum will not allow. This manual will be your Bible.

If your title truly states the year of the Backdraft is 1965, it is a simple walk in and walk out title work.

Something to think about, if title states 1965, consider an Antique plate as annual inspections are waived. Also, it may have changed but Antique plates only require registration once every five years at a cost of about $50. Only caveat is Antique plates have their limits but never knew of any body having an issue with them as this is what I ran with a '69 Stingray for decades. Have known 50 plus others that run Antique plates and never had issues with law enforcement or insurance companies.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! I did a bunch of research last night and found that 57 page pdf, very informative. I have also been in touch with James, also very helpful. Just waiting on the car and the paperwork at this point, I’m planning to title as 1965 Ford replica Custom registration. The main issue is going to be an ASE inspection and a weight certificate. In the meantime I’ll get a temporary tag, supposedly all you need is proof of insurance.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

According to the newest assembled &rebuilt vehicle manual (txdmv 10/17)
“For existing vehicles with a Certificate of Title or for “New Replica” vehicles supported by a MCO, the following evidence must support the application for Texas title if applying for the Custom Vehicle or Street Rod specialty plate:
• Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U);
• The ownership document (Certificate of Title, Certified Copy of Title, MCO, etc.);
• ASE Safety Inspection and Application for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod License Plates (Form VTR-852) (including the printout of the master technician’s ASE Certification Status, showing the master technician has the required A1 through A8 certifications);
• Proof of financial responsibility; and
• Three photos of the replica vehicle (front, rear, side) and one photo of the
make/year model that the vehicle resembles.”
Doesn’t specifically mention certified weight or the VTR 61& VTR 63 forms...maybe I don’t need them anymore. I am going by the definition this BDR is a “new replica”. Could it be that easy?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You have all the bullet points that I used to register a Backdraft and obtain a Custom Vehicle tag in Texas.

For the picture of the vehicle resembles, find a "real" Cobra off the Internet.

The VTR 852 completion was the tough one as so many shops state they have ASE mechanics but they don't or they were and not up to date. They should be able to provide a print out.

Finally found a ASI mechanic at Service First located 7925 Louetta in Spring, Texas. Charge was $125. Other Service First locations might have ASI mechanics. The one at mentioned location is an "old hot rodder" and really nice.

The closest County Tax office was in Tomball for me and they were scratching their heads for four hours not knowing what to do and finally talked to Austin as I waited. They did the paper work and title was kicked back because they made a mistake on the VIN. Not sure if I would go there but think they would remember registering my Backdraft and do yours correctly.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. To confirm, I do not need the VTR -61 and VTR- 63 forms? Or the weight?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did not need VTR-61, VTR-63, or weight. Your Backdraft currently is titled? It should have ASVE for Assembled Vehicle and under comments 1965 Cobra Replica.

Once you get the car and paper work, then it all can be figured out.

I imagine it will go smoothly as so many people do purchase cars from Mecum and Barrett Jackson and one never hears of title issues.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No title yet, it’s a new build. Backdraft told me they’ll send all the paperwork I need with the car. I’ll keep everyone posted.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I would think that with a new build and paperwork and help from the dealer in reply #2 that this should be a matter of following a script. There shouldn't be a lot of research or false starts.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmargolis View Post
Do a Google search for Texas Department of Motor Vehicles- Title of Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicles dated October 2017. Would have posted a PDF but too large of a file (57 pages) and this forum will not allow. This manual will be your Bible.

If your title truly states the year of the Backdraft is 1965, it is a simple walk in and walk out title work.

Something to think about, if title states 1965, consider an Antique plate as annual inspections are waived. Also, it may have changed but Antique plates only require registration once every five years at a cost of about $50. Only caveat is Antique plates have their limits but never knew of any body having an issue with them as this is what I ran with a '69 Stingray for decades. Have known 50 plus others that run Antique plates and never had issues with law enforcement or insurance companies.

The dealer in Fredericksburg I bought my used BDR from, threw in a restored 65 plate. I like the 5 year registration interval and only having to run one tag.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Went down to the local dmv/ tax office today to get a temp tag, they were totally klewless! All that’s required is proof of insurance and make/model/ year of car. For some reason the clerk wanted to see the title, I gave them the Certificate of Origin, that really threw them for a loop. They couldn’t figure out why a 1965 car didn’t have a regular title, they had to call the state, refused a 30 day temp tag and gave me a one time travel tag instead. Talk about dumb as a stump. I need to find another tax office for the real deal.
ront49 likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
Went down to the local dmv/ tax office today to get a temp tag, they were totally klewless! All that’s required is proof of insurance and make/model/ year of car. For some reason the clerk wanted to see the title, I gave them the Certificate of Origin, that really threw them for a loop. They couldn’t figure out why a 1965 car didn’t have a regular title, they had to call the state, refused a 30 day temp tag and gave me a one time travel tag instead. Talk about dumb as a stump. I need to find another tax office for the real deal.
Well that's what I'm afraid of running into in the next few weeks in Ellis county. I plan on taking the entire printed out ASSEMBLED AND REBUILT VEHICLE MANUAL downloaded from the TxDMV website, with chapters on Cobra Replicas tagged an highlighted. That should help them along if they are clueless.
BDR0572 likes this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Registration

Even when the Tax Office has the manual, they are clueless on how to follow directions or most of them are this way. Bet I spent over ten hours on the phone with folks from Austin in a two week period and finally found someone that understood the registration of a replica Cobra. Even though your MSO might say 1965, the Texas title that will be issued probably will not.

The office manager of the tax office finally got involved where I went (Tomball, Texas in Harris County), they called Austin as I sat in their waiting room for three hours, finally the paper work was completed, I left with a paper plate, and then the Custom Vehicle plate came in the mail.

With that being said, the title was still rejected for unknown reasons and after many phone calls with Harris County, it finally showed up in my mailbox. Reason for the rejection- they wanted to take more time reviewing the procedure of a Cobra registration.

Bottom line- be prepared for aggravation but the manual you have clearly outlines the procedure and you just might be fortunate and get a tax office that can read and follow directions.

If a title states the car is a 1965, all is easy. But if it does not, you will jump through hoops for registration. Or if you live in a non-emission testing county, registration is easy. The whole problem is if your title states the year as the year of the car build, you will never pass emission because there will not be a OBD I port for emission testing and the car automatically fails.

Be patient, have time, and it will get done. Call me if you have any questions.

Nathan
713 960-2415
Old 02-13-2019, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Nathan, this is frustrating. Did you have to get Backdraft to sign the 130-u title application as the seller?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

See below infor from Assembled Vehicle Manual:

Replica Vehicles Applying for Street Rod or Custom Vehicle Plates
Eligible vehicles being registered for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates must be
titled as any other ASVE (Assembled Vehicle) but must also carry the replica brand of the
year and make they resemble (unless the vehicle is a true, original to the year of
manufacture). For example, an assembled vehicle built to resemble a 1935 Ford that
would normally be titled as a 2012 ASVE would need to be titled as a 2012 ASVE with a
REPLICA: 1935 FORD brand if applying for the Street Rod plates. If a Texas Certificate
of Title has already been issued to reflect an ASVE make and does not include the
REPLICA brand, the title must be corrected to add the REPLICA brand in order to obtain
either of these speciality plates. The customer is responsible for any associated title fees as
a result of a title correction. Refer to the TxDMV Registration Manual for more of the
requirements regarding these two specialty plates.
Note: If the vehicle was a true 1935 FORD, it would be eligible for the Street Rod
plates, but a true vehicle will not carry the REPLICA brand. Only vehicles
that would otherwise be considered an ASVE vehicle should carry the
REPLICA brand.
For existing vehicles with a Certificate of Title or for “New Replica” vehicles supported
by a MCO, the following evidence must support the application for Texas title if applying
for the Custom Vehicle or Street Rod specialty plate:
• Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U);
• The ownership document (Certificate of Title, Certified Copy of Title, MCO, etc.);
• ASE Safety Inspection and Application for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod License
Plates (Form VTR-852) (including the printout of the master technician’s ASE
Certification Status, showing the master technician has the required A1 through
A8 certifications);
• Proof of financial responsibility; and
• Three photos of the replica vehicle (front, rear, side) and one photo of the
make/year model that the vehicle resembles.
For an assembled vehicle, all of the documentation listed in Section 4.1, "Application for
Title and Supporting Documentation" is required, including the ASE Safety Inspection and
Application for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod License Plates (Form VTR-852), three
photos of the replica vehicle (front, rear, side), and one photo of the make/year model that
the vehicle resembles are also required.

If you live in Houston, the plates have to be a Custom Vehicle or you are going to have inspection issues because of emissions. It does appear that the Form U-130 does need to be included with a signature from Backdraft. No big deal as they will do. First Service should have the ASE Master Mechanic. That will be $125. And of course be prepared to pay the Piper as the State of Texas wants their sales taxes.
In regard to the Backdraft I registered, it already had a Texas title but it was a regular car title and the year model was 2006. Somehow the original owner used a buddy that passed the car every year without emission testing, which was wrong but it does happen. Like mentioned, you have to get a Custom Vehicle title to not go through this annual inspection that includes emission. Your car will not pass because it will not have a OBD II port (or I don't think you would) which was standard on all vehicles after 1995.
It really is not that bad of a process but tough finding that ASE Master Mechanic with all the certifications current.
Guess you received the car? Looking forward to seeing it. Any questions, let me know by calling. Not sure where you live in Houston, but if needed, we could try Tomball Tax Office as they might remember how to do it as they did mind.
Download that Assembled Vehicle Manual is your Bible.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Nathan, I have the manual downloaded, I will bring the pertinent parts printed out for the dmv clerks. I plan to register as a “new replica”. I received the car this afternoon, I have an appointment tomorrow for ASE inspection. I’m in west Houston.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default BDR registration

RUFdriver

I am in the Heights area and I have a BDR registered as a custom vehicle. I used the Cypresswood tax office to apply for tags and title. I had all my paperwork and presented it to them. I was there for about an hour as they reviewed the paperwork, came out and said all was in order, paid the taxes and title and tags came in the mail.
bwcobra15 and BDR0572 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: