Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Moritz55
  • 1 Post By Gaz64

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     
Default Voltage drop when the fan is on

Without the fan on, the voltmeter is indicating around 14V. Fan kicks on and it drops to 12V or even lower when at idle or at a stop light. Amazing how much a drain the fan is on the charging system.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Yep. Mine did too. Power hungry fans and alternator right at the edge of capacity.. never had any issues.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

I agree .. Fans drop voltage and amperage quite a bit. I did find that my Alternator needed a GND cable added so that it performed better. I have a Powermaster 105amp (17294) alternator.. It's a 1 wire alternator which required 8gauge wire ground. The original install did not have a GND cable!

This made a huge difference under load... mine went from 14.2V at 900rpm down to 13.4V at my battery with Lights ON and Fans ON ... but still charging the battery!

May be wise to confirm you have a solid GND to chassis or block as insurance... just a thought.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600

Last edited by Moritz55; 07-18-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Old 07-18-2020, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
Without the fan on, the voltmeter is indicating around 14V. Fan kicks on and it drops to 12V or even lower when at idle or at a stop light. Amazing how much a drain the fan is on the charging system.
Running a 1G alternator? If you're not hung up on period correct look of 1G, switch it out for a Ford 3G alternator. Internal regulator and fans, higher capacity and widely available. Easy bolt-in swap with some minor re-wiring to eliminate the external regulator. Serpentine pulley is easily removed and replaced with V-belt pulley. Mine is a 130 amp rated unit that fits a 1995 Mustang V6 and can generate more amps at idle than my 1G alternator could generate at 2,000 RPM.

The only caution I would offer is the higher output at idle of the 3G may cause belt squeal if things aren't 100%. Some go to double pulleys, but I'm running a CVF Racing billet aluminum pulley - the aluminum seems to do a better job of grabbing the belt. I also run a turnbuckle type adjuster from CVF that allows for finer tuning of the belt tension than does the old slider and bolt style adjuster.

Alternator output curves:

Left to right: 1G, 2G and 3G alternators - avoid the 2G:

3G alternator - note V-belt pulley:

Wiring diagram - minor changes:

Check this out article out for all the details (and more photos): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...r-older-fords/
Old 07-18-2020, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moritz55 View Post
I agree .. Fans drop voltage and amperage quite a bit. I did find that my Alternator needed a GND cable added so that it performed better. I have a Powermaster 105amp (17294) alternator.. It's a 1 wire alternator which required 8gauge wire ground. The original install did not have a GND cable!

This made a huge difference under load... mine went from 14.2V at 900rpm down to 13.4V at my battery with Lights ON and Fans ON ... but still charging the battery!

May be wise to confirm you have a solid GND to chassis or block as insurance... just a thought.
Only two wires attached to my alternator - thick red one on the backside and a thinner red one with yellow stripe on a connector attached to the side. Doesn't appear to be any ground wire. How and where do I attach a ground wire?
Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

A short note of caution----------Fiberglass bodies, braided stainless steel hoses, painted engine/chassis parts----------they all creat possibilities of malfunctions---------no ground circuit thru painted, powercoated items or the fiberglass---------Stainless bolts and aluminum or iron parts will create an issue (don't remember what the term is but common in boats) and the stainless braided hoses turn into dangerous shorting circuits---
Old 07-19-2020, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What size is the power wire you are using? Mine originally had a 10 or 12 gauge and I switched it to a 6 gauge. Made a world of difference. Now when the fan comes on, it doesn't drop like yours is doing now.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Great info! Wish I had known at least some of this when I owned a Lone Star years ago.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
Old 07-19-2020, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
What size is the power wire you are using? Mine originally had a 10 or 12 gauge and I switched it to a 6 gauge. Made a world of difference. Now when the fan comes on, it doesn't drop like yours is doing now.
Based on the wire diameter (with insulation) which is around 0.25", I'm guessing it is 6 guage.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

You should really spend some time re grounding everything with 4 gauge welding cable
All to the battery

Alt to batt
Alt to block
Engine to batt
Frame to batt

https://youtu.be/BQdQBesuJCs Watch this video
This is how it’s done .

I run fuel injection On relay
Moroso elec water pump On relay
Massive fan puller type On relay
Elec vacuum pump On relay
Elec fuel sump On relay

130 amp 3g alt
Never an issue and I idle at 850. Charges at 14:1 all day long
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Only two wires attached to my alternator - thick red one on the backside and a thinner red one with yellow stripe on a connector attached to the side. Doesn't appear to be any ground wire. How and where do I attach a ground wire?

SBSerpent, the back half of the Alternator requires Grounding. There should be a threaded hole for a GND Screw... ~5/16" dia size...
If you can get a 1inch long machine screw, Washer, GND cable , Star Washer you are all set. Note put the Star Washer between the GND Cable and Back case of the Alternator. Then the Washer and Screw Head complete the sandwich.
The Front of the Alternator with the Belt/Pulley assembly is insulated from the back since Alternator cases are made of 2pieces.

Then run your cable (if 0.25" dia cable, it may be actually 8gauge which is good up to 6ft of length) to the chassis GND or the GND on the Solenoid. Also use a Star Washer between your Cable, Solenoid post/cable you are attaching it to...

Keep us posted on the results....
Good luck...

Mark

Last edited by Moritz55; 07-19-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-19-2020, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
SBSerpent, the back half of the Alternator requires Grounding. There should be a threaded hole for a GND Screw... ~5/16" dia size...
If you can get a 1inch long machine screw, Washer, GND cable , Star Washer you are all set. Note put the Star Washer between the GND Cable and Back case of the Alternator. Then the Washer and Screw Head complete the sandwich.
The Front of the Alternator with the Belt/Pulley assembly is insulated from the back since Alternator cases are made of 2pieces.

Then run your cable (if 0.25" dia cable, it may be actually 8gauge which is good up to 6ft of length) to the chassis GND or the GND on the Solenoid. Also use a Star Washer between your Cable, Solenoid post/cable you are attaching it to...

Good luck...
Please explain, since the two case halves are bolted together when assembled. The rear case is grounded through the assembled through bolts.
Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Good luck...
Can I ground to the engine block?
Old 07-19-2020, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Both halves of the alternator case are already grounded to the engine block.
The large negative lead is already a good enough path to the battery, if it is good enough for starter motor current.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes... you can Ground to the engine block...
It must be clean(no oil/gaskets etc...) so it's a solid connection....

Just as a side note... My Chromed Powermaster Alternator was NOT grounded to the block...with my Roush engine there were Plastic Bushings between the Front mounting Case of the Alternator and engine block. So having a reliable solid ground is very worthwhile.

Mark

Last edited by Moritz55; 07-20-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Old 07-20-2020, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

I had the same drop in voltage with the fans, my heater switches too.

Grounding from the battery to the front chassis solved all my of irregularities
I'll add a G3 alternator to the to-do list.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Checkout mechman.comthey manufacture for a lot of the private label companies, call them and talk to them, tell them what you need and they tend to deliver just that. If you need a V-belt pulley let them know and it will come with that from them. Just make sure it is a G-3, You will need a larger main fuse for your system as these are HIGH output systems, at 1800 engine RPM mine puts out 174 amps, NO they are not cheap but I can run 2 16" fans with no trouble or major drop off of voltage.

Bill K
Old 07-23-2020, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Powermaster alternator is also chromed. Do I need to file off the chromed finish around the area of the hole where the GND bolt screws into in order to ensure metal to metal continuity between alternator housing and the wire lug??
Or, will continuity exist through the lug/bolt head and the fact that the bolt is threaded into the alternator housing?

Do I need to use star washers or are regular washers ok?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Goat View Post
I had the same drop in voltage with the fans, my heater switches too.

Grounding from the battery to the front chassis solved all my of irregularities
I'll add a G3 alternator to the to-do list.
This is where the largest amount of electrical issues exists, especially in fibreglass cars.

Gary
Ozzie Goat likes this.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My Powermaster alternator is also chromed. Do I need to file off the chromed finish around the area of the hole where the GND bolt screws into in order to ensure metal to metal continuity between alternator housing and the wire lug??
Or, will continuity exist through the lug/bolt head and the fact that the bolt is threaded into the alternator housing?

Do I need to use star washers or are regular washers ok?

You always should use Star Washers between the GND cable and Alternator .. The Star Washer will help "Dig" into the case of the Alternator and the same holds true on the Block or Chassis attach side.
You use the Washer on the other side between the Bolt Head and GND cable. So sequence....
Bolt Head->Washer->Cable->StarWasher->Alternator

Good luck.....

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: