Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes
  • 9 Post By kdc438
  • 2 Post By bobcowan
  • 1 Post By Alfa02
  • 1 Post By olddog
  • 2 Post By IMLost
  • 1 Post By BDR0572
  • 1 Post By Cashburn
  • 1 Post By FredG
  • 1 Post By Thunderbird123

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default new cobra coming

In 1964 I received an Aurora Thunderjet HO slot car track from "Santa." One of the cars that came with the track was Shelby Cobra. I was eight years old and I was hooked. I began journey going from one muscle car to the next, added in a few sports cars and even a 2012 GT350 from Shelby American. But, I still wanted a Cobra. Real ones are out of reach and I have to be able to drive it and enjoy it. Kids are raised, just time for me and my wife. I looked around for many years. Finally ordered a Backdraft. I wanted a mix of classic and performance. Love the way Backdraft has taken a great car and improved (IMHO) it. It's due to arrive in this country end of December then up to Jay and Brian at Revelocity/Vintage and have them complete my build. Should see it sometime spring 2021.

I'm going with more of the traditional roadster look, black no stripes, Black diamond interior/red stitching, exhaust out the back, but I still want to be able to play so going with 335 rear tires and a VMS 427 with 8 stack injection.

It may not be a "real cobra" but i've been dreaming of this for over 55 years and it will be MY cobra.

Kevin

Last edited by kdc438; 11-21-2020 at 06:46 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

And that's exactly what a "real" cobra should be - yours.
cycleguy55 and BDR0572 like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

Congratulations on your decision and your patience and resilience toward your passion! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more, please post.

Your custom knife site is very intersting as well. One of the designs brought back memories of my 'vintage' era Kershaw deer hunter knife.

Brent
Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Kevin. That's going to be a long six weeks until end of Dec. when the Cobra finally comes. A good Christmas present!
Interesting, it started with the Cobra in the Aurora Thunderjet HO slot car track from "Santa." My facination with Cobras (and GT40s) started in the same way, with a Scalextric slot car set, co-incidentally the same Christmas if I remember correctly. That's the green FIA in my avatar. Some of us have to wait a long time for that dream to come true. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 11-23-2020 at 03:24 AM..
Old 11-21-2020, 02:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Madness Kevin, as I read your intro. It also begin with me at 8yo, with a ride with the (One & Only) Mr. Ken Miles @ Pacific Raceway in a 289 FIA Cobra @ SPEED. I was allowed over the weekend to (HELP) the crews get the 3-Cobras by team manager Al Dowd ready to race. He gave me a polishing rag, and said get to work kid Took me to a few years to get my first Cobra (60yo) but has been WELL worth the wait. As many of us will tell you (Dance slow) with her at first, you've never owned anything with the handling & Power of a one of our Cobras, Be safe & enjoy the ride Cheers TommyRot.
xb-60 likes this.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
And that's exactly what a "real" cobra should be - yours.
Exactly.

Sounds like you will have a beauty to enjoy! BDR’s are nice replicas.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

It may not be real, but it makes it that much easier to take it out and enjoy it. Besides that, most people on the street won't even know.
Enjoy
Old 11-21-2020, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Great story Kevin and welcome to the 'Club'. You chose a great car and an even better builder. I see that you're in CT so at least for you, the car will be built in the same state. That will be a fun road trip.
My BDR #983 was built by Vintage. I'm the second owner and took possession of the Cobra this past May. I, like you, had always looked at the Cobra as my dream car. Finally, at 58 years of age, I had the means to purchase one and have never looked back. The car is such a joy to drive and gets so much attention. Have fun and congratulations on your new 'baby'.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Safety! Safety! Safety!

Take some time driving and sorting out the car. Stay off the main routes and take it slow for a while. A loose bolt in the wrong spot is very bad at highway speeds. Put it up on ramps or a hoist and inspect every last nut several times.

These cars require respect and responsibility. Anything less can result in Death or worse!

Find some autocross events. That is the best place to learn to drive these cars. No matter how good you think you are or in fact how good you are, these very light, short wheel base, high Hp cars are different than most anything else the average guy has ever driven.

Welcome. Be Safe. Best of luck. I hope it is everything you ever wanted in a car.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm only about 40 minutes away from Revelocity/Vintage so I will try and get some pictures to post once it arrives and the build begins.

I have been intouch with Jay and we have already decided to install the new Tremec transmission instead of the 600.

I figure it will be springtime before it is done, which is ok, it will be springtime before the snow is gone. I want to slowly learn to drive this car and from what you all have told me, that does not mean learning on cold tires and snow/ice!

I'll post more as it develops.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2020, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley-408
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your purchase. Welcome to the Club! I too will have mine finished here by April. It will be my birthday present to myself.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

If Brian is building your car it will be RIGHT and road ready.
Cashburn and BDR0572 like this.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT4 427, Axio blue
Not Ranked     

Congrats, I hope you enjoy backdraft as much as I have. I've put 7k miles on mine in 7mos since I bought it new from Naples Motor Sports. Great cars, hope you're able to drive the tires of that hot new ride!!!
Old 11-24-2020, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Congrads, Mine too came from Vintage and I could not be happier . Absolute Joy to drive , get ready for the 40min gas stops because everybody wants to talk about your ride .
Cashburn likes this.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Brian will build it, but Dave will have the pleasure of mocking up the undercar exhaust
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Congratulations and welcome Kevin. You are getting your car done at the best place. They are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Enjoy.

Fred
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT4 - #2145
Not Ranked     

I'm having my new Cobra set up by Jay and Brian at Vintage Motor Sports too! From what I've researched they are the best of the best!
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, BluePrint 427
Not Ranked     
Default we're waiting too

Welcome to CC and congratulations on purchase. I have a Superformance being fitted out by Curtis Brown of Crown in Tucson AZ. The custom interior is taking time but should be done in the next few weeks.
You've got some nice roads in CT. I remember the drive from NY to Lime Rock to watch the sports car races. Other rides have found covered bridges and other novelties.

Dave -- trying to be patient
Old 11-28-2020, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your new Backdraft!

Jeff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: