Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2022, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Extreme depreciation?

Is the current Backdraft market extremely soft?
I'm about to buy a new build for around 85k amd I was doing some research on prices. Outside of the kissimmee mecum prices which were outrageous, I'm seeing used backdraft going for 60k with less than a thousand miles on them. And anything more is about 30k. Several around 12k.
These cars are listed on trovit when you search Backdraft.

Going from 95k at some places to 30k seems like the highest depreciation in five years I've ever heard of.

Is this just how it is for Backdrafts?

What am I missing on these trovit cars?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Maraud,

Quote:
Possibly what you may not be aware of is that trovit is a site that contains highly questionable information.

Tom
Old 01-23-2022, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Maraud,

Possibly what you may not be aware of is that trovit is a site that contains highly questionable information.

Tom
So something akin to how C8's are being listed at MSRP everywhere on some sites despite them not existing when you call? So I should be confirming whatever is on there against an actual listing somewhere.

Fair enough.

What do you think a 2-3 year old backdraft with say 4000 miles on it would be worth if it had a ford racing 427. Total ballpark. I mean like 60ish or more like 30ish?

Part of buying involves me trying to determine the market within some reasonable level. I know it's not possible to get it perfect.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

You can go to Bring A Trailer, look up Auctions, then Results, then scroll down a bit to the Completed Auctions 'Search Archive' text entry box, type Backdraft, then enter, and see actual sales prices of recent Backdrafts of different configurations. The prices that reflect 'Sold for' are actual sales, the prices that reflect 'Bid to' reflect the highest bid that did not meet reserve so not an actual sale price, so assume the actual value is something higher than the 'Bid to' amount on those. Best of luck. Brent
Blue66 and rads42 like this.

Last edited by EM-0785; 01-23-2022 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Add sentence
Old 01-23-2022, 10:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauderfh View Post
Is the current Backdraft market extremely soft?
I'm about to buy a new build for around 85k amd I was doing some research on prices. Outside of the kissimmee mecum prices which were outrageous, I'm seeing used backdraft going for 60k with less than a thousand miles on them. And anything more is about 30k. Several around 12k.
These cars are listed on trovit when you search Backdraft.

Going from 95k at some places to 30k seems like the highest depreciation in five years I've ever heard of.

Is this just how it is for Backdrafts?

As with anything else, buying a Cobra replica, new or used, should be treated not as an investment, but as a toy you want to have. Depreciation, absolutely. to the extent that you show above, not likely. Just figure as soon as your sign the paperwork and take possession, you have lost 20%, as they continue to build new ones, your older build will depreciate further. How much further depends on your specific cars specifications. Interior color, exterior color, rims, tires, drivetrain will all affect your cars specific depreciation and ultimate value upon resale.

Bill S.
Blue66 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

A few recent Backdraft sales here:
https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...-bdr1325-yale/
https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...-auto-estates/
https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...g-427sc-cobra/
Old 01-23-2022, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Build 496 Roush 402R Sterling Gray with Silver Stripes
Not Ranked     

#1325 in that link had multiple buyers within a few hrs, I was not 1st or 2nd in line so I missed out.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

An 85K Backdraft? Rather than thinking the 40 or 50K cars are depreciated I'm of the opinion that the 85K car is over inflated and will have a major depreciation reset when reality finally returns.

For 85K you'd just as well jump up to a Superformance or ERA and get something that will at least hold its value.

Cars are not an investment.
Blue66, IMLost, rads42 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 01-23-2022 at 01:02 PM..
Old 01-23-2022, 01:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I look at it this way: I bought my ERA over 15 years ago and, at that time, Peter told me I could never sell it. Even if he hadn't said that, I still would never sell it. So how much is something worth that you can't, and would never, sell? Arguably, nothing. So that's a 100% depreciation and my car is essentially worthless. The Cobra hobby basically sucks as an investment. You should avoid it.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
An 85K Backdraft? Rather than thinking the 40 or 50K cars are depreciated I'm of the opinion that the 85K car is over inflated and will have a major depreciation reset when reality finally returns.

For 85K you'd just as well jump up to a Superformance or ERA and get something that will at least hold its value.

Cars are not an investment.
Yeah I assume though with an installed drivetrain it would be hard to find a new one for less than this.

And yes it makes the most sense to be the second owner.

Being a trailer does seem to give the full story. And bdr has definitely gone up in value the last two years.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM-0785 View Post
You can go to Bring A Trailer, look up Auctions, then Results, then scroll down a bit to the Completed Auctions 'Search Archive' text entry box, type Backdraft, then enter, and see actual sales prices of recent Backdrafts of different configurations. The prices that reflect 'Sold for' are actual sales, the prices that reflect 'Bid to' reflect the highest bid that did not meet reserve so not an actual sale price, so assume the actual value is something higher than the 'Bid to' amount on those. Best of luck. Brent
Like this: https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/r...arch=backdraft

As of when I posted this there were 21 completed auctions. Scroll down the page about half way and you'll see them.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 01-23-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Old 01-23-2022, 08:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

A lot of first time Cobra owners buy with their Heart, and not their heads. Now with our kind of cars, that's sometimes hard to do (each is basically a one-off) and they all are "Cool Looking". You have come here, excellent first step. We were all first-time (Buyers) owners, at one time, and can help you with some of the pitfalls. Buy what makes you happy, with the idea you would never sell it (Smiles Per Miles). Patrickt said it best, our cars are worth nothing till it comes time to buy or sell it (If ever). As many here said 'These are Toys not investments'. Your homework will pay off.
Blue66 and moore_rb like this.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Once again Alfa hit it. Set what you want to pay and be patient, it’s easy to get lost in the weeds. They are not a savings account or an IRA as some think. They are a hobby, and hobbies cost money.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLost View Post
Once again Alfa hit it. Set what you want to pay and be patient, it’s easy to get lost in the weeds. They are not a savings account or an IRA as some think. They are a hobby, and hobbies cost money.
To paraphrase:

They are a savings account or an IRA. (What you tell your spouse/significant other)

They are a hobby, and hobbies cost money(what you tell yourself)
Quentin Z, rads42, Alfa02 and 2 others like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 01-24-2022, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Cobras are the epitome of a "toy car". You can probably count on the fingers of one hand those who drive it as a daily driver. It's a weekend tourer and car show car.

As a toy, I cringe every time I see here someone going into debt to purchase a Cobra or any other weekend toy. There's a difference between getting a loan and leveraging investments because (due to our current money system you can borrow for less than the return on a well managed investment) but actually going into debt is crazy.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Mr. Healey, I stand corrected!
Old 01-26-2022, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

It's more than just a car. The events, cruises, new friendships, experiences are priceless.
If you want to win car shows you get a pretty one. If you want to go to the track pretty gets beat up. Think of it more like a boat...a hole to throw money into. Except when you sell it's a sad day not a happy day.

John
Old 01-26-2022, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

It's more than just a car. The events, cruises, new friendships, experiences are priceless.
If you want to win car shows you get a pretty one. If you want to go to the track pretty gets beat up. Think of it more like a boat...a hole to throw money into. Except when you sell it's a sad day not a happy day.

John
IMLost likes this.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Trovit ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Maraud,

Correct, don't believe what you read on Trovit....

Tom
Correct, don't believe what you read on Trovit...
Old 01-28-2022, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Sounds like a scam to me.

When a roller comes from the factory for $53k I don't think it's far-fetched to ask $75-80k.

Some of these people are too much with the this-vs-that BS between manufacturers. Fudds aren't only in the 2A community apparently.

Go find one that you like and drive the piss out of it.
IMLost and Bitten21 like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: