Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By spdbrake
  • 1 Post By FredG

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default E36 output spacers

My spacers are scratched up from rubbing on the subframe. I would like to replace them before reinstalling my differential. I know Iconic sales them. Does anyone else sell the same spacers? I appreciate the help.

169mph
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Representative
Not Ranked     

Good afternoon,

These are custom manufactured for our vehicles. You can order online, or if you'd like to call and place your order over the phone, our number is 561-327-4944.

Our hours of operation are Monday-Thursday, 8am-5:30pm. Friday, from 8am-3:30pm, eastern standard time.

Kind regards,
Devin
Old 03-03-2022, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately no.
The spacers are not BMW E36. Sometime in the last decade BDR switched to different shorter axles and integral splined rear hubs along with ventilated rear rotors and ditched the E36 OEM axles. The source and part numbers of the newer axles is still a secret as are the sourcing and part numbers of almost all Backdraft parts. Frustrating to say the least as the company holds that information under lock and key in a effort to funnel aftermarket sales back to BDR only.
But I do admit it is a business and other Cobra companies do much the same.

Stepping off my soapbox now.
cycleguy55 and Ozzie Goat like this.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Devin View Post
Good afternoon,

These are custom manufactured for our vehicles. You can order online, or if you'd like to call and place your order over the phone, our number is 561-327-4944.

Our hours of operation are Monday-Thursday, 8am-5:30pm. Friday, from 8am-3:30pm, eastern standard time.

Kind regards,
Devin
Hi Devin,

I left a couple messages this past week and never got a reply. That’s the reason I posted the question. I’ve bought I few things from y’all in the past with no issues. One the parts I bought was not listed on the website. I was hoping that’s the case with rear differential bushings and fasteners. I’ve already I found what I need except for the “spring” washers for the input drive shaft???

Thanks for the help
Old 03-04-2022, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Spacers

I don't know how badly they are scratched and you may have already thought of it but can you clean the up and polish them with some scotch brite or are they that far gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 169mph View Post
My spacers are scratched up from rubbing on the subframe. I would like to replace them before reinstalling my differential. I know Iconic sales them. Does anyone else sell the same spacers? I appreciate the help.

169mph
169mph likes this.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Representative
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 169mph View Post
Hi Devin,

I left a couple messages this past week and never got a reply. That’s the reason I posted the question. I’ve bought I few things from y’all in the past with no issues. One the parts I bought was not listed on the website. I was hoping that’s the case with rear differential bushings and fasteners. I’ve already I found what I need except for the “spring” washers for the input drive shaft???

Thanks for the help
Best way to contact us is over the phone. I went back and found your email. Looks like it came through during a lunch hour, and got lost in a flooded inbox. I do apologize. I will contact you through there.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR_Devin View Post
Best way to contact us is over the phone. I went back and found your email. Looks like it came through during a lunch hour, and got lost in a flooded inbox. I do apologize. I will contact you through there.
No problem. I appreciate the response.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-04-2022, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Mike,

If you have access to a lathe and a mill you can make them from scratch with some elbow grease and a little motivation. The other alternative (providing they are not too badly scratched up) is to just put the old ones in a lathe and take a light cut on the OD, just enough to remove the scratches. When you are done you can anodize them whatever color you like.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Mike,

If you have access to a lathe and a mill you can make them from scratch with some elbow grease and a little motivation. The other alternative (providing they are not too badly scratched up) is to just put the old ones in a lathe and take a light cut on the OD, just enough to remove the scratches. When you are done you can anodize them whatever color you like.
Yes sir, that’s what looking into now. I’ll was going try to sand them as smooth as possible then try to buff them out. I like your idea is better. It’s worth the effort.

What gear oil are most people using? Manual says Amsoil but on the BMW forums most owners with an E36 are using Redline. I bought Lucas Synthetic 75w-90. The auto parts store near me only a few brands so I went with Lucas. I do a search on the forum. I’m sure this question has been posted more than once
Old 03-04-2022, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I made attempt this evening with White Diamond Metal polish. I used aluminum wheel cleaner and then used a 2” medium grit disc to make the spacer surface smooth (removed shavings/ high spots). Then I polished the spacer by hand with the White Diamond polish. I have no idea what I was doing but I can live with the spacer as is. I’m going to do some research tonight and make another pass tomorrow.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2022, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After a little trial and error I was able to clean up one the spacers. It’s not perfect but it saved me some money and it looks pretty cool to me. I’m going to buff the hell out of it and do the same to other spacer. I plan to remove the old bushings this weekend. Any tips or tricks for removing the old ones?? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: