Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2023, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     
Default Rear pin drive flange, cap removal - Help?

I determined I have some slight play in the driver side rear wheel. Either the wheel bearing is shot or the axle nut is loose. I cannot get to the point to check because I cannot figure out how to get the aluminum BDR axle end cap off the peg drive adapter. I tried a small screwdriver, but it's not moving and I'm marring the aluminum cap a little. I don't want to totally destroy the end cap in the process. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 07-02-2023, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You could probably remove the pin drive adapter and then use like a hammer handle from the inside of the cap...if I'm understanding your problem correctly.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply. I would agree with you if it were the front pin drives, but its the rear, which are pressed into the bearing and have the axle passing through with a nut on the end. Need to remove the cap to access the axle nut.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #870 Salsa Red w/White stripes Roushcharged 4.6L 3V
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack70 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would agree with you if it were the front pin drives, but its the rear, which are pressed into the bearing and have the axle passing through with a nut on the end. Need to remove the cap to access the axle nut.
It's definitely an end cap. I recall it having a rubber o-ring and being a very tight fit. Not a press fit but likely gunks up over time. I think I got it off using a hammer and hard plastic fid used to remove interior parts... but you can use hardwood or anything softer than aluminum. Just whack it.

Also, I had an axle nut that was not torqued to spec. Recommend checking both sides.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2023, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you. I’ll give it a go, maybe try some PB blaster then wack it. With you axle nut not torqued to spec, did you have some play in the pin drive flange? What is the torque spec?

Last edited by Kojack70; 07-03-2023 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Adding question
Old 07-03-2023, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack70 View Post
Thank you. I’ll give it a go, maybe try some PB blaster then wack it. With you axle nut not torqued to spec, did you have some play in the pin drive flange? What is the torque spec?
By "whack it" I mean tap it hard around the edges until the cap pops off. Just need to catch the seam/edge with something hard that won't cause damage.

Disassembled the rear end to repair rear trailing arm bolts and discovered one side was loose. Don't remember having any play. Don't recall exact torque specs off hand but will see if I can find it. I borrowed a torque wrench capable of 250 ft-lbs for my axle bolts. Some cars have axle nuts that would have different torque specs.

It's not difficult to take thing apart if you need a wheel bearing. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2023, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I had to destroy the cap and order new ones. The aluminum was seized to the steel. Hole saw did the trick. Hate to have to do that. Took me longer to get the damn cap off then replace the wheel bearing. Still curious about the torque spec for the shoulder bolt into the axle.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good you were able to get it off.

Can't find the torque specs my archives. I've seen 184-221 ft.lbs online for e36 and e36 M3 respectively. Perhaps others will weigh in. Good luck.