Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR / 347 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Stiff ride

I recently purchased a BDR 2nd hand and am very happy so far. My only real concern is the stiffness of the suspension. It felt like the suspension was bottoming out even on small bumbs and here in Las Vegas we have a S*** load of those. I raised the front of the car approximately 1.5" via the coil-overs and this helped the front tremendously however the rear feels like it bottoms on all but the smallest bumps. Any thoughts?

Chuck
Old 10-20-2003, 04:29 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

stiffer springs?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chuck,

If what you are experiencing is the vehicle "bottoming out" then your suspension is not stiff enough. What you feel is the jounce bumper engaging. If this vehicle indeed has a jounce bumper, most jounce engagements feel rather "stiff" because they are in place for the exact purpose of building rate in the suspension very quickly to prevent the suspension from continuing on its same path upward. You may already know this but I just thought I would clarify your statement.

Try stiffer springs or install a transitional jounce bumper with a lower rate and an earlier engagement.

Hope this helps,
Neil
Old 10-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

just a thought, but have you called backdraft to see what they suggest ? bill
Old 10-20-2003, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Yes I did email BDR. They needed to know my VIN as well as paint color (?). I responded with the info and am still waiting for a response. I tend to belive it is more of a limited travel problem as opposed to a spring rate issue. I would imagine that BDR would have already determined appropriate spring rates and provided those with the car. As I said before, adjusting the front ride height increased the available travel and effectively fixed the situatiuon on the front. The rear however appears to be only adjustable on the shock and the spring perch. The adjustment for the spring perch apears close to maxed out as far as raising the car. The shock is adjusted to the "normal" position. Maybe the rear spring is too short? I don't know. Awaiting BDR's response.

Chuck
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Is it coming from any particular side? At times I've noticed a thump now and then when I hit a bump (in the rear) but it only seems to happen on the passenger side. Only have 250 miles so far so its hard to tell at this point.

Trueoo7
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, no particular side. If i drive over an area of road where a new layer of asphalt has been layed, with the corresponding rise in the road perpendicular to my direction of travel, the front will go over the bump smoothly but the rear will have a very pronounced jarring. The front used to do the same till I raised it up.

Chuck
Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Chuck: Your springs are too soft. Check with Reg and he'll get you some stiffer springs.

Boudy
Old 10-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

see, ask and you shall receive. good dealer /customer follow up on the part of backdraft ! a partnership is beginning to grow. may the learning curve proceed and all will be fine. hats off to ya Boudy, ya made a new owner happy. bill.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: Well Reg called me at home a couple of weeks ago and said I indeed needed stiffer springs. He was going to test a set of shocks with some coil over helpers on them the next day as he thought they would be my best solution. Still haven't heard from him. No response to emails either. Any one else having the too-soft spring problem? Does anyone know if the springs on the BDR's are factory 3 series? What is the proper spring rate?

Chuck
Old 11-17-2003, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Chuck: We've all been on the road since early last week. I check on the coilovers that were discussed and get back to you.

Here is my number if you like:

(817) 703-1475

Boudy
Old 12-20-2003, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

I have been having somewhat of the same problem with my car... front end seems to go over the bumps in the road just fine but the rear of the car takes quite a jarring....... is this a defect affecting up to a certain vin? I am number 69.
Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ya know I just thought of something. .. . is it possible for you to get dual rate springs on coil overs? I know full size suv's have coils that are variable rates springs (the idea is the that the spring builds rate as it compresses, slowing down the axle before contacting the jounce bumper) Just an idea.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

Originally, I had the same problem with my Unique bottoming out. I had the rear set too low. I raised the front and the back and I no longer have a problem. With the car set too low, the springs could not fully compress before the suspension bottomed out on the frame. You should also have the car re-alligned when you change the ride height.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

Chuck,
Why not try temporarily raise the rear a bit and see if it makes a difference? You can always put the height back the way it was. If it fixes the problem, then get the car realigned. If it doesn’t your just out a little more time than it takes to jack up the car up on jack stands twice.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My spring perch adjustments in the rear are almost max'd out for height. I talked to Reg a while back and he suggested I try some coil-over helper shocks that he was getting ready to test. He was going to get back with me afterwards but never did, and to be honest, I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to call him. He was definetly convinced that my springs are too soft and thought those coil-over shocks were the way to go.

Chuck
Old 12-23-2003, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

GUYS, if you've got a BDR just call Reg and he'll walk ya through it, whatever it is. Otherwise, Git out out there and drive tha thing...it'lll change ya lives and ya wives' lives too. Find a road and stomp on tha sucker. Then get back to tha forum here with ya questions about how ta have more fun. This is about fun, fun, fun, guys. Just drive the beast before ya question it and you'll know tha paspective...
Merry Christmas.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Paul. ... ..I agree with you but it's a little snowy in MI to do that. Have any pixs to post? Your ride sounds cool in the sig. Lets see how it looks!

Neil
Old 03-07-2004, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

Did any one get an answer on the rear springs... I have #69 with about 1000 miles on it now and I definately have an issue since the rear tire is rubbing.... The adjustments are maxed out can't go any higher... so I am looking to find out what model/manufacturer coil-overs are being suggested? or should I contact reg for spring replacements?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve: I visited Reg a few weeks ago and he showed me the fix. It's a coilover shock that runs $60 a pair. However, I apologize, I didn't get the info on them. I get so flustered when I'm there, can't get enough of these things...

Robert