Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     
Default Question for Backdraft owners

Hey, guys. I have another question for y'all. What colors do the rollers come in, and how much more would It set me back if I got one of the dealers put in a 427 S/O and a four speed toploader transmission?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2682, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Have you tried : http://www.backdraftracing.com/home.htm for the colors?

I'm not sure what a 427 S/O is? Could you mean, 427 SOC? Sounds toooo wide to me.

Chet
Old 02-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

427 S/O i would assume to mean 427 side oiler engine, not the SOHC.

early on I was told that the rear ends of the Backdrafts would not support a big block, thereby limiting enigne choices to 302/351 or 351 strokers. is that still the case ?

since the 351 strokers can put out big block power in some custom builds, what are, IF ANY , the hp and torque limitations of the BMW rear end in the Backdrafts ? I have a friend interested in one and I directed him to their website, dont know if he got this question answered or not as he is wintering now in his motorhome, 'somewhere' in warmer climes. Bill.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

If you order a car they can make it any color you wish. Check out the site from the link a few replies above and see the choices they have. They are always changing also.

As for a 427 SO with a top loader, the sky is the limit since each dealer is individual in their building/sourcing of drivetrains. Unfortunately (if I am not mistaken) the only 427 option that will fit the Backdraft is a 427W. That is a 427 Windsor (a stroked 351) the official small block/big block. That is what ran at Run-N-Gun. It had 600hp and the M option suspension and rear end. It was sort of a demo for Backdraft to put to rest anyones concerns about how much power a BMW rear end can handle.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

I'm almost possitive that the 390FE will fit. I'm sure I remember Boudy tellin' me it would.

As for a 427SO with a toploader - I'm not sure at all. If the toploader is any wider than a TKO etc then you might have to look at it very very carefully. I know a T-56 will not, and Boudy repeats not, fit. No way no how. The TKO does fit.

There is one other thing about a 427SO - the price. A 427 Dual 4 Barrel will set you back $14,900. Then there is installation .....

Good question Bill. I wonder what the answer is. I know it is "a lot" but then some engines can pump out "a lot".
Old 02-01-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All the more reason to get the Roush 427R crate motor. Have any of you heard what one of the 427 strokers? What do they sound like? As long as it sounds as good or better than a big block, I'll be ok. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 351W Victor Jr intake Heads, 4.030 bore-4.170 stroke-Dish top piston, holley 750 CFM, Street/Strip
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up LwCwb

I got a 427W Cobra Classic from http://www.coasthigh.com/ Very nice engine, the trans is a Tremec 5 speed

the light at the end of the tunnel might be a freight train comming you way
Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

I was down at Reg's couple of weeks ago with Boudy to pickup a car and deliver it in Texas. They supposely change the front crossmember location on the newer frames to accept larger motors as the FE. Mine is #89 and it has the relocated crossmember. According to Reg, there is headers available for the FE. Don't know any thing on the toploader trans, didn't ask. As far as engines, I went with all aluminum 427 windsor from Kieth Craft, 612 horsepower. 615 torque. Cost 14000. About the price of a decent 427 FE,iron block. Windsor is a lot easier to install, since the car were really designed that way.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Make note to self - Do Not Race DC Cobra for Pink Slips !!

Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

LwCwb,

There is a guy in San Diego with a SPF / Roush 402R engine. This engine sounds very good! But it should for all that money! 500+ hp. That being said, I still like the way my 351 sounds through the Backdraft sidepipes. In fact the sidepipes may have more to do with the sound than the engine?! I am not sure what sidepipes SPF cars come with. Glass packs, baffled ? Does anyone know, or are there options?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SkipB- The SPF pipes I heard are some of the quietest ones around in the Cobra industry.
Everyone Else- Thanks for all the info, every time I check my email, I find out another person replied. Keep em commin!
Old 02-01-2004, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As I left my office last week I spotted a Cobra in the parking lot. Of course, like a moth to a flame and since I don't yet own my own Cobra I went over and introduced myself. He told me he just hauled it down from Wisconsin. He told me it was an SPF (man, it was gorgeous) and he had a 460 in it. After a brief conversation, I took my leave, and gave a listen while he fired up the motor. The sound that the big block combined with the SPF sidepipes was nothing less than music to my ears. It was far from quiet, but not what I would consider excessively loud either. It just sounded great.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

Lw...I'm on my third Cobra...1st had a fairly stock 351, cast heads but rollerized. The unique sound with this engine was when you pushed in the clutch and let off the gas...between gears you would hear a gasp...this was really cool. This engine didn't really sound beefy at idle. The 2nd was a 425hp 351 w/aluminum edelbrock heads. This engine definately had a beefy sound...in all gears and at idle. The funny thing is it didn't gasp like #1. I then heard my buddies FFR with the fuel injected 302 w/aluminum heads. There is definately a unique sound to a beefed 302. These always seem to have a low rumble/roar in all gears and as long as it remains carbureted at idle also. I have ridden in a 427 car and I kid you not...it sounded just like a 302. My #3 is a BDR with a 302 and 400+, with AFR 185 heads. This car sounds absolutely mean at idle and roars when haulin ass. Ask anyone about the sound of a 302 and you'll get one !
Old 02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Rogers: Find a chassis dyno somewhere around you. I'd like to see how close the desktop dyno came.

Boudy
Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

Rogers, my brother is taking his Vette (Nitro Induced) to the dyno in St. Louis middle of March on a Saturday, I may be going with if you're interested.
Boudy, what did the desktop register for his car?
Old 02-07-2004, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

I'm down with that idea....I hope to have my enclosed by then...if not, I'd like to tag along. Where in St. Louis is this ?
Old 02-07-2004, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     
Default Dyno

Rogers we are planning on going March 13th and the location is Mustang Muscle Performance Dyno. I'll try to attach a link to their site. There will be several High output late model Vettes there so we will get a discount on our run ~ $65. What we are doing as a group of cars is buying a block of time. We should be able to get on the dyno and run a couple times for $65. Others will pay near $100 and do some tuning while on it and make several runs. It will be a pretty full day, but my brother says it's really exciting not only to run but to watch others.

I've talked with Dan and he is going to contact the organizer and make sure you and I can tag along. Right now Dan said that there were approx. 4 Vettes for sure going.
http://www.mustangmuscleonline.com/default.asp