Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

I haven't read this whole thread but has't anybody suggested the LEDs that come in std 1156 and 1157 bayonet basses?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Donghi
I haven't read this whole thread but has't anybody suggested the LEDs that come in std 1156 and 1157 bayonet basses?
You need to in order to understand that the standard plug-ins do not come near the light output of the retrofit done above. There is no comparison.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Back to the top since this was such an informational thread. It might be helpful for the new guys...
They have changed which LED's they sell, the new ones are 30% brighter and have a life time warrenty. It has one 1157 plug and no other wiring is needed. Cost is about the same.

The older radiantz style are on sale.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 03-25-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Great posting for the four separate tail lights ....

For those of you guys with the rectangle tail lights and want an LED replacement, Technostlagia tells me "We are working on a complete LED taillight for the Cobra. It won't be ready until this Fall (2008), however. Our light will be higher quality and lower price than the incandescent light that you can buy today".

Someone on CC used their '42-'46 ford kit as a replacement to illuminate top and bottom of the rectangle.

http://www.cool-leds.com/

I'm currently using the 25 LED 1.5" x 1/5" 1157 replacement, but want a bigger, full tail light. Will wait to see what their system looks like ...
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got my bulbs. I ordered the "newer" bulbs. FYI my build is #455 and Ii has 1157 brake lights on the bottom and 1156 turn signals on the top. I should have ordered two of each but some how was dumb enough to order four 1157's. I had to do a little modification and solider a bar across the two botom contacts to make it work in a 1156 socket.
They are brighter then the original. If I get hit in the backend I'll be out the rear end and $100 bucks for the bulbs!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Rwillia4,

I was about to order some direct replacement LEDs for my Backdraft, but became confused about exactly which company you bought them from and the stock numbers/colors of each bulb. Would you mind telling me which company you ordered from? There are several listed in this thread. Also, the actual stock numbers/colors of what you ordered would be very handy.

Thanks,

SkipB
Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The details

Skip,

As you can read from above there is what I "should" have purchased and what I "did" purchase...

What I did: I ordered 4- GEN185CLUSTER (<-search for this one) also called GEN-18-R-1157 also called "1.80" Diameter Replacement Cluster". The two bottom bulbs (running and brake lights) are 1157 bulbs which has two connectors on the bottom and the switch was easy to do. The 1157 connector was perfect. I curled up the cable and it also fit in the socket allowing the cluster itself to be mounted flush. Then I cut a piece of double sided foamy tape and stuck it to the back of the LEDs to hold it centered on the car-side mount (I don't think it would have moved far if I didn't tape it). The top bulbs (only used for turn signal) are 1156 bulbs which is a single center connector on the bottom of the bulbs. I was able to get them to work by solidering on a bar across the bottom making the two connectors one. It fit in the socket without any problems. I as others didn't have any problems with the blinkers, they continue to blink at the same speed as they did before. Cost was $24.99 per bulb, total purchase to the door was $108.21. These are 30% brighter then the other bulbs on clearance that are cheaper and will work just the same, up to you to pick, I went for the brighter and the lifetime warrenty for the extra ~$10.00 per bulb. Also my reason was to keep others from hitting me by having REALLY bright bulbs. Now that I have these bulbs I might do a retrofit of the top turn signal only light mounts and convert them into 1157 sockets. This way I can have 4 brake lights, that should be bright enough to see the guys face look like this behind me, which is better then this .

What I should have purchased was: 2- GEN-18-R-1157 and 2- GEN-18-R-1156 bulbs. These are 1.80" bulbs that fit perfectly between the two plastic pegs the outer red lens screws into. Calling them up worked better for me I talked to Megan at Custom Dynamics www.customdynamics.com, 800 382 1388.

We are both in SD, You are more than welcome to check them out before you drop the $$. I will be back in town on Apr 19th.

Rob

PS- trying to take pictures of brake lights to compare is a pain in the ass!!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Rob,

Thanks. I might just take you up on your offer to check out your lights. I know mine are pretty dim as one of my friends was following me and said he could hardly see them. So, I anticipate buying whatever works the best/easiest. I like the idea of just plugging the LEDs in where the bulbs go. Even if you can make them somewhat brighter by going through all the cutting, soldering, etc., the plug in type still appeals to me.

I'll get in touch with you after 4/19.

Thanks,

SkipB
Old 05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

I finally hardwired the 1.85" LED clusters from Custom dynamics in for the running/brake lights.

WOW!

What a difference.

Last edited by ROUSHAC; 05-10-2008 at 03:41 PM..