Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default How tall do you like your spats?

I'm working on a mold for making some spats and having a hard time with figuring on a height. I think the clear spats are too high for a non body colored( carbon) spat and while they serve a functional use cosmetically would be ugly.

What I am thinking of is about 4 " shorter than the 3m one and maybe a sliver of 3m for protection above.

I'm open for ideas on lengths so bring it on.

chris bailey.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

what is a spat???...

is that part of the gatsby look?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is a cover for the front of the rear fender to protect it from stone chips the front tire likes to inflict.

chris.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Chris,
I will see if I can get a photo of how our local 3M installer was doing them. Instead of a straight cut, he was doing a gentle arc at the top. It looked a lot more form fitting that way. I think 4" down from the straight cut might be too low?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I have learned a new term...

Sorry I can't help, don't use them.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Chris,
I will see if I can get a photo of how our local 3M installer was doing them. Instead of a straight cut, he was doing a gentle arc at the top. It looked a lot more form fitting that way. I think 4" down from the straight cut might be too low?
Jay - is he still doing it like mine was done? If you look close you can see the line at http://www.vintage-motorsports.com/gallery/BDR436/aba
Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderball View Post
What I am thinking of is about 4 " shorter than the 3m one and maybe a sliver of 3m for protection above.

I'm open for ideas on lengths so bring it on.
I think that might work. My 3M stuff is not that high, all considered, here's a shot of them.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Neutral     

I made mine out of vinyl and sewed the ends. Used 3M adhesive tape.
You can zoom in using your computer. I can take a close up, if you want me too.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Since this was posted on the Backdraft forum am I correct in thinking these will be fitted for BDR's ?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Anyone know of any stainless ones that will fit our cars? CF is just to far down the modern looking trail for my car.

Steve
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanx for the ideas and pictures guys.

Yes, they will be for the bdr's pre 600 and current. I am thinking of going 16" with a one quarter inch curve on top and that is measured from the very bottom of the fender. I like the high 3m protectiveness but I'm concerned with the aesthetics because I wil be recessing the tape in the back of the spat so the edges will be chamfered to leave a clean finished edge.

As far as material right off the top of my head I'm thinking carbon cleared, some colored carbon( look very subjective), silver carbon and then some ordinary glass that can be painted body color. There is a technique I'm still working on that will allow reg glass to be see thru( really clear) and then apply them with clear silicone. The clear ones I would probably flat finish so they look like frosted glass.

After the mold for these is done onto the belly pan.......

Last edited by thunderball; 03-11-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default spats

Glad to hear someone is addressing the need for fender protection on the BDR. I have #670 and it didn't take long to figure out that I should avoid any gravel in the road. The 3M film really looks bad. I would certanly be in line for a set of "spats" as you call them, if they look decent.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Neutral     
Default My spats

These were made by my wife. She made a pattern, bought some naugahyde, sewed them up and I put them in place with 3m double sided moulding tape. They work great. The dark color showed every rock chip and the spat area took a beating.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Spats

Nice looking! I think one could even make these a bit lower down on the fender. The chips I got were concentrated within 4-5 inches of the bottom. Ron
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

mt - your wife did a great job on those !! They look 'right' for the car.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2864 MK III ROUSH 427R
Neutral     

You and your wife did a great job! I like the height of yours. I have the 3M on mine, but it stops about an inch below where your are at. I am considering having mine redone to about your height.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree that most of the damage is concentrated in the lower third of the fender and I expect I'll end up around 16". All the carbon parts I make are infused carbon and the finish is sema quality, ck out the carbon dashes that Reg sells.

thanx,
chris.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Neutral     
Default Rubber vs. pebbles vs. paint

"as tall as the chips go" on your car and based on how well your tires can throw rocks - that's my answer to your question.

Experimenting with spats, my 1st set was too short. My 2nd set was still too short. The 3rd set was jussssssst righhhhht. Part of it depends on how much flare you have covering the front tire (how much the tire sticks out) too and if you run hard or stickier tires on the street. The stickier tires definitely pick up and throw more pebbles back and up the side of the rear flare. You'll notice the flare on an SPF covers more of the front tire, where as other cars have a different cut-in shape and more front tire is exposed. This is a factor, or at least on the cars I've earned chips on.

When I ran my Goodyear Billboard tires, chips were getting all the way up the side of the flare just parallel to the top of the door.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried a paint like what they put on rocker panels? It has like a krinkle finish to it and is the same color as the paint.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena2006 View Post
Has anyone tried a paint like what they put on rocker panels? It has like a krinkle finish to it and is the same color as the paint.
Yes, I've tried both Rhino Liner and 3M spray on rocker guard versions in car-color and in black. Ended up with black to make it easier for touch up. Works pretty good. Prefer the 3M stuff more. DC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: