26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SB100 Sequence Number 2010499

As many of you know I have been passing smog tests with my cobra for the last 5 years. When I was renewing the registration in 2005, the sequence numbers were gone on January 2nd and I had my paperwork completed in April so instead of parking the car for 9 months I took it to BAR and smogged it. It has passed every time since, three times. This year I took it in and the State has changed the passing scores. In 2005 I needed a CO level of 5 something to pass but to my surprise this year the passing CO level was 1.16. It is impossible to lean out the carburetor to meet this standard. I was told by the smog guy that the state has lowered all of the emission values in order to remove old cars from the road. I had to call Sacramento twice, go to DMV twice and much to my amazement there is still a sequence number left for 2010.

Any way no more smog tests for me and there is still one number left. If you have a 70's or 80's car that needs to be smogged, be aware that it is a whole new world in California and pretty soon it'll be impossible to meet the requirements.

Dave V
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

So they make rules stating cars have to meet emissions requirements that were not in effect when the car was made? Never heard of that before. Must be new. Hope it doesn't catch on.

Jack
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Thas been happening ever since they started the whole smog check mess....
SB-100 baby the only way to go....
Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Congradulations on the SB-100---especially this late in the year.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Congrats Dave! It's the only way to go, and now you never have to worry about it again.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Your numbers in your post don't seem to jive with a smog test I had. Would you mind double checking the numbers and repost?
Thank you!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Thas been happening ever since they started the whole smog check mess....
SB-100 baby the only way to go....
So, if you have a car actually made in 1965 (say a Cobra), you would have to get an SB-100 exemption? I thought SB-100 was for cars which do not meet the emissions rules in existence when the car was built.

I used to own a 1973 Lotus Europa. It met the emission rules in place in 1973. If I still owned it and lived in California, would I have to get an SB-100?

Jack
Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Congrats Dave, Glad this worked out!
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
So, if you have a car actually made in 1965 (say a Cobra), you would have to get an SB-100 exemption? I thought SB-100 was for cars which do not meet the emissions rules in existence when the car was built.

I used to own a 1973 Lotus Europa. It met the emission rules in place in 1973. If I still owned it and lived in California, would I have to get an SB-100?

Jack
This law applies to all replicas and kit cars. At the present time, any real car made before 1974 is exempt from emission testing, but cars from 1975 up are going to have to meet much more stringent tests than they originally had to. If you have any car actually made in 1965, at this time at least you don't have to worry about smog testing.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This law applies to all replicas and kit cars. At the present time, any real car made before 1974 is exempt from emission testing, but cars from 1975 up are going to have to meet much more stringent tests than they originally had to. If you have any car actually made in 1965, at this time at least you don't have to worry about smog testing.

Ron
Not that anyone who writes laws in California is asking me, but this is really not "fair". I understand getting old junkers that are blowing smoke all over the place off the road. But telling people who own, say a perfect 1979 Ferrari 308 to comply with more stringent rules than were in effect when new, or get one of 500 SB-100 exemptions per year does not pass the smell test.

Like I said, they didn't ask me.

Jack
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jack,

You can't get an SB-100 number on a real car. They are only for kit cars and replicas. And even they can't be turn key cars as yo have to have the engine and transmission at least installed by someone other than the dealer. Then you have to have every receipt for all of the work and everything when you go into the DMV. So a 1977 Ford, Chevy, or any other manufactured car isn't allowed to be registered using the SB-100 process. My neighbor who has a 2003 diesel Ford pick up had to take it in and have it smog tested last Summer. And they had never tested diesels here before.

Ron

Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, if you can't get an SB-100 for a "real car" and you have a 1979 Ferrari 308 that currently meets 1979 standards, but California wants you to meet much more stringent standards, what options do you have to keep the car on the road?

Jack
Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jack,

That is a great unknown right now, at least up in this area. Depending on which DMV you talk to, you will get completely different answers. Kind of like when my neighbor had to take his pick up in to be tested. It has no smog stuff on it except the catalytic converters and they have never tested diesel engines before so we were wondering what they would do for a test. He said they opened the hood, looked at the motor for a few seconds, asked him if he had changed the chip in the computer and then stuck the sniffer in the tailpipe and wrote down the reading and told him he was ok. I think that is more a money thing than any attempt to make the vehicles run clean. And their law is contradicting itself as they have a law that you can't modify the engine, yet to make them run cleaner than when they were new and met those standards it will take a lot of modifications on some vehicles that pass their original requirements.

Ron

Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

From what I understand,the rules are more stringent than before. For example, before the new law, there was a window your particular vehicle would have to fit into such as between 2.3 and 5.0 PPM (just an example). Now cars will have to meet the lower number with no latitude as before.

If you don't meet this minimum number, you are required to spend UP TOO $450 to repair the vehicle to meet the lower standards and if it still doesn't pass, apply for an exemption through the DMV referee.

Certain areas in Ca. like Sacramento are targeted due to the gross pollution. Some areas in La and others also , I can't remember which ones right now. The target is the top 15% of the gross polluters.

It sucks but were stuck with it................AND, congrats on the SB-100. 499....cool!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First of all I got my number at 2:30 and numer 500 went at 4:00. They are all gone for 2010.
My numers when I was smogging:

Originally (1966) Idle Hc 700 Idle Co 5.5 2500 RPM CO 4.5
11/10/2006 Idle HC 700 Idle CO 5.5 2500 RPM CO 4.5 2500 RPM HC 600
11/24/2010 15 MPH HC 201 Co 1.3 NO 4.31 25 MPH HC 168 CO 1.1 NO 1174

Wow has the world changed. My car actually tested cleaner this year than previously but the State of California has changed the limits so that there is no way my engine could possibile pass. It is a 390 bored to about 416 CI with a carberator.

I am not sure how the State of California decided that old engines should be cleaner than they were manufactured to adhere to. Crazy, but they have cahged the limits for all years and that is why I was saying to beware if you have a 70's or 80's big bore, in California.

I talked to DMV 3 times today and am best freinds with both Sacramento and the local supervisor. I still have my number and they say I am good, but stay tunened, and as they say iit isn't over until the fat lady sings and they are both fat ladies.

Dave V
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Thank you very much for reposting
But I don't understand...
What year was your Cobra registered as?
From what I understand, the only ways to put a 390 in ANYTHING in CA is to put it in something that never has to be smogged (I think 74 or older) or in an SB-100 car, which of course is a SPCN.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #918, 392 CI, 430 HP
Not Ranked     

In November I was issued exemption 2010483 for a new Backdraft Racing Cobra. I just compled Smog yesterday. I had a problem with the Smog Referee accusing me of a turn key vehicle. I had seperate purchase receipts for the vehicle and the engine, transmission. The problem was that the engine and transmission were installed at the same facility as the vehicle. This was still an issue although I had seperate receipt for both. The important thing is to keep the two items seperate.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

The Smog referee? Mine was handled by the DMV. I didn't thunk a referee would need to see anything other than your registration.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #918, 392 CI, 430 HP
Not Ranked     

Good question but in my case the referee took it upon himself to act as a secondary enforcer to determine if the car qualified to be smog exempt. I am finding in the registration process not everyone is knowledgeable of what needs to done and by whom.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Dave, do you still run the stock mufflers, smog pump (if applicable), heat risers, air cleaner, pvc, or same carb as the original 1966? That could be why it didn't pass. While I already know the answer, maybe with the original stuff on the motor it met the requirements.

Also curious if the car is registered as a Cobra or "Special Construction" and as what year. tom

Last edited by wanab5150; 12-18-2010 at 08:50 PM..