17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SB100 Question

I wanted to bring this question to this forum, can you have a supercharged motor in a Superformance and pass the sb100? The reason is I'm interested in Ford's Aluminator supercharged Race motor. I know a little about the SB100 process from what I have read online but wanted to ask those who have been through it. You want to register by bodystyle but wasn't sure if red flags will wave if the car had a supercharged motor vs NA.

Thanks,
pcw
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Yes!

You can.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Not an issue , - if you need further help in SB100 send me a PM.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

The key point of the specialty built vehicle rules is when you bring the car to the BAR for the smog certification, you present them with the paperwork from the DMV , and are allowed to smog-check it based either on the year of the engine or the body, which it should represent a pre-72 car.

I actually brought a book about Cobra's with me because I took my car to a Wyotech place in Fremont, CA and students probably NEVER see these on public roads. They were pleasantly surprised to be learning how the SB100 routine works. The teacher reviewed my book and even wanted pictures from it so he could show the class later on. Then it went on the roller and they did a full smog check, looking at the fuel cap and hooking up the O2 sensors, clipping the tach to plug#1. In the end, it didn't pass anything for smog, but I got this nifty sticker that exempts me from ever having to smog test it.

The kids enjoyed my exit.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the year of the engine no longer applies. I believe it is only based on year of the body now.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

It is not based on a darn thing other than it is not a production built/turnkey vehicle.

If it is newly built (from a kit) then you need to have your SB100 appointment number from the DMV, all of your receipts and the MSO from the kit manufacture. Note: the shop that built/assembled the kit can't have anything to do with installing the drive train, or the shop cant have anything on there website stating they are an installer for said manufacture,or it will shoot up a red flag.

If it is newly built (from a pieces "scratch built") then you need to have your SB100 appointment number from the DMV & all of your receipts.

If it was previously registered all you need is the current registration & the SB100 appointment number from the DMV.

You WILL be required to have a "CLOSED" pcv system or they will drop you on the spot.

Note: The number the DMV gives you is not the same number that you get from the SB100 inspection station.

It is actually a very simple process. You just have to have all of your paperwork correct and not try to buffalo them.

Note: they "WILL/MIGHT" try and trick you into answering a question that the manufacture builds turnkey cars. Just tell them "NO THEY ONLY BUILD KITS".

Last edited by tcrist; 05-24-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

How is the demand for the 500 per year of SB100 exemptions? Do they run through the 500 in less than a year now days? Once you have your SB100 how much is your annual license fee?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

For the last few years, there have been unused numbers at the end of the year.

Registration and license fees are based on the value of the completed vehicle.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If I pay tax on the roller (one transaction from SPF), pay tax on the engine, trans and install (separate transaction to a different company), Will I have to pay tax when I register the car and go through the SB100 process? I'm hoping I won't be double taxed, but you never know in CA

pcw
Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 stock 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

I didn't pay any taxes on the FFR kit shipped from Wareham, Ma or the donor engine/trans shipped from Arizona. Sales tax was paid on these to Calif. DMV when I applied for my ( SPCNS) SB-100 number. I'm thinking that because it was an out of state purchase,no sales tax was charged. Jim
Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Last year, three of us with rollers from Backdraft went through the SB100 registration process at roughly the same time. You should not have a problem completing the process. You must have all of the receipts for your completed car available for DMV to review in order to determine the CA sales tax to be levied in addition to the registration fees. If you encounter any setbacks, just do your homework and be persistent as the process requires a lot of time and effort. It is worth it. Without SB100, we would not be able to own and operate these cars in CA.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You will only be taxed on the parts once. Ca. DMV will check your receipts and charge you tax only on items that weren't taxed originally.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default sb 100 question

if you purchase a car that has not been register and its less then the original built price and the only paperwork show the mso and engine price and install cost you then take the paperwork to the dmv wont they charge you tax and license on that amount not what you paid for the car? the car is being sold for 25k less then the purchase price. thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd View Post
if you purchase a car that has not been register and its less then the original built price and the only paperwork show the mso and engine price and install cost you then take the paperwork to the dmv wont they charge you tax and license on that amount not what you paid for the car? the car is being sold for 25k less then the purchase price. thanks
If I'm understanding correctly, you will be charged tax and registration based on your purchase price, not a previous one (even if it's higher). They will subtract tax you already paid on your tax owed, so you won't be double taxed.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

That was the case in my car(s) through sb100 / spcns
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com