3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-09-2001, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation Bay Area Local Cobra Builders?

Hi All,

Wow, I'm pleased and surprised to find people who own Cobras in the Bay Area, oddly though, I haven't seen any out around the Peninsula- I'm around Stanford but I guess a lot of you guys are in the East Bay. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anyone local who could recommend a good builder/ mechanic/ or Cobra "servicer". I've been looking into buying my own Cobra and am still not sure of the route to go but I do know my mechanical skills aren't enough to build or maintain a whole car. Do you guys know of anyone who has one for sale locally? Also, can any of you guys recommend a particular company I should look at?

I've heard and read good things about B&B as a builder of solid "budget" Cobras i.e. about $30,000. I've also heard about Lone Star, Shell Valley, and Midstates although I think those get around $40,000-$70,000. Formula Five Racing , I've heard a lot of uhm... enthusiastic opinions of. I'm really looking for a daily driver. I don't really need to go that fast that quickly. ALso, I think the cobra should be made with donor parts provided they go through some sort of quality inspection... BUt I don't know for sure. Any advice about a turnkey daily driver would be appreciated.

I've looked for Cobras in the "for sale" of this forum, on the HOuse of Cobras website, Ebay, CObracountry.com, and few others but I'm wondering if I'm missing any.

OK, thanks guys, Ed
Old 06-11-2001, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Etli,

There are indeed a number of Cobra's of various manufacture in the Bay Area. I live in the Northeast Bay area and there is an ever growing number here too.

Over in Pleasanton there is a dealership, "Specialty Sales", (www.specialty-sales.com) that has 4 -5 Cobra's for sale. You might want to go over and look at them to get an idea of what you will get for the money. Also see APUSA (www.apusa-sacramento.com) which is in Sacramento as he also has 4 -5 Cobra's for sale.

You have to make the determination of what you want, and what you want to pay. I think you'll find that the majority of the Cobra's around here are Superformance.

Craig Hill of 'Top Of The Hill' in Pleasanton is a good source for mechanics, but call early, he is pretty booked up.

Brad
Old 06-11-2001, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah, ok thanks,

Besides Craig at TOpofthe hill can anyone recommend other peopl also? I'd just like to shop around a bit... Perhaps someone on the Peninsula?
Old 06-27-2001, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Multiply resurrected Superformance #584 (silver), 351W : 437 lb-ft, 445 HP
Not Ranked     
Default Would you like to see another Cobra Nearby?

Hi Etli,

I am Randy Klein and own a Superformance Cobra near to Stanford...specifically, Los Altos. If you would like to sit down and talk Cobras and see mine, please let me know. I would be pleased to tell you what I've learned over the years after some significant research and concentrated driving and racing of my own.

All the best,
Old 07-06-2001, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf / 351W / motor by Elliot
Not Ranked     
Default peninsula cobra builders

etli,
I live in Palo Alto, and am also in the
process of researching a cobra purchase. Actually, I have pretty much decided on a Superformance, although I plan to visit the ERA factory this summer. Anyway, there is a guy named Elliot with a shop called "Mustang Corral", and he is located near the San Jose airport. He was highly recommended to me, both by a local Cobra owner, and by the folks at Dynamic Motorsports. I have visited him to discuss engine options once I get my cobra, as well as some work on my Mustang.
You may want to look him up.

To Randy Klein,
At the risk of seeming presumptuous, I would love to take you up on the offer that you extended to etli, to talk about your experiences.

Joe Kennedy
Old 07-06-2001, 04:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Etli and JPK,

I would definitely take Randy's offer on him sharing his info regarding Cobra's, and his experiences.

I believe we both took several years of research on all the Cobra manufacturers out there, and made our decisions. We both settled between Superformance and Shelby. It is extremely hard for any of us to recommend a particular car for anyone, without knowing what the individuals needs are for the car such as cost, time frame, authenticity, shop location near you, etc.

What I can recommend to both of you is that there is an event you both must attend this August in Monterey. It is the Monterey Historics. Not only will you see original Cobra's in the pits, but Shelby and Superformance have a booth usually set up for potential customers to view and check out there cars. After that, I would make it a point to get with the Bay Area Cobra Club within Club Cobra, and check out the others and their selections.

Hope the information is helpfull.
- Bill -
Old 07-07-2001, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Etli and JPK,

Though I have only met Randy a few times, I can assure you that I would sincerely trust any information he passes on. Big block versus small block is really a matter of personal preference, as the good and bad points can be argued until the end of time.

Your best bet may be to attend a BACC breakfast some Saturday morning in Dublin. Although I cannot get there as often as I would like, I think if you could make it you would find a wealth of information, and a number of Cobra's to look at.

I prefer the Superformance car, though ERA was my second choice. Please write to my friend Turk, care of this site, to ask him about ERA. He is a wealth of information on both ERA Cobra's and 427's. Besides, he is pretty fun!

Brad
Old 07-10-2001, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Pfeifer
Etli and JPK,

Your best bet may be to attend a BACC breakfast some Saturday morning in Dublin. Although I cannot get there as often as I would like, I think if you could make it you would find a wealth of information, and a number of Cobra's to look at.

Brad
Brad,

I still haven't figured out how this messaging works, but I would love to attend a breakfast, if temporary outsiders are welcome. What are the details, location, time start, time finish ?

Thanks,
Joe Kennedy
Old 07-10-2001, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

No such thing as an "outsider", just people we haven't met yet. ALL interested people are encouraged to drop in.
Most people arrive between 7:15 - 7:30, except Norm and Mike Q B.S. begins immediately in the lot and then hunger takes over and we move inside.
We usually break-up about 9 after more B.S., demo rides, racing lies, er, stories etc.
Some times we go over to Larry Davi's house to watch him tear his engine apart again or visit someones project. Last week, a cool visit to Russ Thompson's shop. Week before a visit to a new FFR coupe. In fact Russ's coupe should be here this week. Anyway, you get the idea.
Breakfast is at
Athens Burger
6999 Dublin blvd
Dublin
Restaurant Is just NE of the I-580 I-680 intersection
Hope to see you soon
Rick
P.S. ladies are welcome, in fact the 6th Saturday of every month is ladies day!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick 427 Cobra
No such thing as an "outsider", just people we haven't met yet. ALL interested people are encouraged to drop in.
Hope to see you soon
Rick
P.S. ladies are welcome, in fact the 6th Saturday of every month is ladies day!
Rick and Brad,

Thanks for the gracious invite. I am planning to be there this saturday morning with my daughter and my camera, kind of like a tourist. My daughter is into this stuff, made me get her a '66 mustang, but has never had the opportunity to bask in the glorious sound of cobra pipes. She is even teaching herself to drive a stick, so that she can try out the cobra when it finally happens.

Thanks again,

Joe Kennedy
Old 07-12-2001, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1452 514" 429 SCJ
Send a message via Yahoo to LETSRCE
Not Ranked     
Question

Hi guy's, my name is Joe Cloutier this is my first post here. I come from the NLOC boards(National Lightning Owners Club) I own a '93 F150 Lightning.
I got back tonight from the Superformace dealer in Reno, I'm very close to purchasing a cobra from them but figured I would ask a question or two.
Is there anything wrong with the Superformance car? a weak point?
The look damn good, I will be going with a Big Block car most likley a crate 460(535hp) unless I can get my buddy to cut loose with his 428SCJ.

I have done some looking and think this is the way to go.

Is the breakfast this Saturday?
I would be coming from San Jose what exit would I take.

Thank you in advance.
-Joe C.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Breakfast and SPF conversation

Joe,
There are lots of opportunities to see and talk about SPF, examples to point at.
Weaknesses and strengths come with compromises when discussing a street/track car and there are many that are in the club that can and will (willingly) comment.
I won't be there tomorrow; I'll be in Cheyenne, WY looking for a cobra breakfast. I’m stopping there to give a friend a ride on my way to Pennsylvania.

Terry

Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo

Last edited by copper; 07-13-2001 at 09:22 PM..
Old 07-13-2001, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Letsrce,

I would offer you a ride to breakfast but I have to take #96 over to Hayward to have a guy look at replacing my cracked header pipe after breakfast. The fastest way is up 680 to 580 east. Take the first exit, Hopyard, and go north, over the freeway. Turn left at the first light north of the freeway, Dublin Blvd. and Athens is on the right about 1/2 mile. If you want to follow me up give me a call. I leave south SJ about 6:45.

Dave V
408-210-7839
Old 07-13-2001, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dave thanks for the offer, I'll give you a call tonight about following you up there.

Thanks
-Joe C.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Multiply resurrected Superformance #584 (silver), 351W : 437 lb-ft, 445 HP
Not Ranked     
Default See you there, gentlemen, July 14th meeting

Just got back on the computer and found all this discussion. I will be there on this Saturday AM as well. So all you new folks are welcome. Please come with your quesions and get ready for a barrage of answers!

All the best,
Randy Klein
Old 07-14-2001, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

It was a pleasure meeting all of you this morning.
I will hopefully take delivery of the SPF I was talking about next month. Thanks for all the info you helped me make up my mind.

Thanks
-Joe C.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW !!! I am still pumped from the saturday breakfast. You folks really know how to make a newbie feel at home. I can't thank you all enough for that. And all those cobras in one place at one time ( including a REAL one )!!

Special thanks to Randy Klein for giving my daughter an awesome ride back to Palo Alto, at the request of a complete stranger, no less. It was fun just following you, and seeing all the reactions from other drivers. Also enjoyed the side trip to Top of the Hill.

And Norm La Fever ( I think ), I don't know whether to thank you or not. Previously, I was having a hard time deciding between red w/white stripes or royal blue w/white stripes. But after seeing your black beauty with chrome (?) pipes and no stripes, I now have more choices to consider. Decisions, decisions ! If those are chrome pipes, do you have a hard time keeping them looking so good ? I have heard they can be a pain.

I hope to see you all again one saturday soon.

Thanks again,

Joe Kennedy
Old 10-27-2001, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

I'm pretty new to the site, so not quite sure where to list my cobra, but thought I would join this thread... I have a Superformance for Sale in San Francisco and notice that there were some discussions of buying one...it can be seen at
http://windsurf2020.tripod.com/Photo...obra_427sc.htm

As soon as I figure this out, I'll post it on this site...in the meantime feel free to email me directly....

Good luck with your discoveries!
Old 10-27-2001, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation Bring it to Breakfast

The Bay Area Cobra Club Meets every Saturday morning at 7:30.

@ Athens Burger
6999 Dublin Blvd. Dublin, CA
Rest. # 925.803.8135

located NE of the intersection of I 580 and I 680

Folks show up that are thinking of buying and are worried that the wait is too long. If you are ready to sell a deal could be made.

You are welcome to show up and show it off. The club "no rules" are: no fees, no membership, no rules. Everyone's a President.

Hope to see you there.

We meet in two hours. get moving....
Regards Terry

Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo