28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2002, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to MoonDog
Not Ranked     

When Shelby was in the prototype stage of the Cobra, didn't he first approach GM?..but he was knocked back?..then he went to Ford.

If this is correct...Shelby obviously thought the Chev the better power plant.

End of story guys.....

Maybe we succeeded where Shelby didn't.......

Go Bowtie.....
Old 07-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

searanch

Cut that out! My lovelies do NOT like "sparks" in the rear!

You want a Chevy in a Cobra--here you go! You can pull a plow.

{I crack myself up}

Last edited by Jamo; 07-05-2002 at 12:31 AM..
Old 07-05-2002, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

Frankly I like Medusa, the VW powered Cobra. Second choice is a custom roadster with 514ci crate engine making over 600hp, exotic wood dash and a super sound system. Each to his own.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Hey Jamo,

So - you're the only one I hooked with the sheep - hmmm...

Thank you for the pic of the LS1 transplant in an SPF - a great car with a great owner.

Hey Bony,

You wouldn't be just ever so slightly condescending now would you? Nah - "Each to his own" speaks volumes and leaves ample room for those outside the box.

Hehehe...
Old 07-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default My pre-Cobra project...

Was a 1963 Ford Unibody pickup. I built a 383 chevy stroker and put it in, with a 350 turbo trans. Also, I replaced solid front axle with Camaro front clip. With a 3.89 rear end, it would boil the big rear wheels thru 2nd gear.

I knew a LOT more about Chevy SB than any Ford motor.

With the oversquare bore (4.360 with 3.85 stroke), the Ford 460 reminded me of a larger version of the fast-revving 327. So that is what I built for the Cobra.

I think the 460 has some advantages over the BBC - better rod ratio, bigger bore, better stock iron heads (not that anyone uses them). After all, Ford all but admits copying the BBC, so they might feel they did some things better.

OK BBC fans, just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Searanch
How is your install coming? Have not heard from you.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ford still have "Flathead" V-8 & 6's engines in most of their cars until 1955 and the truck line as late as 1956 or later? Needed GM to show them how to build a OHV

Chevy V-8's were OHV in 1955 (265) and the 235 I/L 6 OHV was a standard for most of the late '40's and far into the '60's.

I've always loved Chevy power--there is nothing sweeter to hear than a Chev SB, well turned out-- a very distinctive sound.

And Chevy's are a whole lot less $ to build-up and HI-perf than Ford.

But FOMOCO powers the Cobra

Old 07-10-2002, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Hey Scott,

The install/build is coming much too slowly. I'm building a new house to store the toys in and had to provide "she who must be obeyed" with a new Land Rover. I don't get this female need to have an SUV but couldn't disuade her. Easier to pay the tarrif and move on. At least the dog loves it...

So it goes. I have discovered these guys in California doing amazing things with Northstar motors converting to RWD with 700R4 or tremec 6spd. Amazing HP gains just by recamming and a port/polish - 465hp and dead reliable. My daily driver is an STS and I just love the Northstar motor - so I'm exploring. You can buy the motors dead cheap and they look and sound way cool all tricked out.

I just flat ain't puttin a whole lot of time and money into an old Ford motor - not even with a gun to my head. That statement oughta get the purists cranked up - LOL.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Martin,
The ls1 doing the same things to cam and heads gets 450 and with stroking 600.
I am still having some computer problems, you could have even more with the Nortstar system. When I first started it I would get errors like the gas cap was not on or the AC was low on gas. The Nortstar could tell you your eye liner is not right.
By the way I have 11.24:1 using 93 and no ping, the computers are something else.
(It was nice of JAMO to post a pic of my car. did you see how far back the engine was mounted, no dist. to hit; almost like a ford. Ya, right!)
Old 08-12-2002, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Hey G.R., Ford had their OHV V-8 in 1954, a year ahead of the SBC. Ford had the venerable Flathead V-8 since 1932; GM needed Ford to show them how to build a V-8. 23 years is a long time! If you are worried about spending a few hundred dollars more on a Ford than a GM, maybe you need a cheaper hobby.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Incoming...

Old 08-12-2002, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Not Ranked     

If I ever build a streetrod it will be Ford bodied and Chevy powered
The SBC is a proven, inexpensive to "hot rod", and dependable
choice
The cobra has a mildly stroked 392--works for me
Edley
So I was wrong about '54-'55 timeframe--but Ford's of that era were still no match for the Chevy V-8--
Go to any streetrod show and the majority of the engines and drivelines in these cars is Chevy--Why? I don't care if it's a '32 Ford Hi-boy or a bucket T they are usually Chevy powered
You have a good one, today
ps I really don't need a cheaper hobby, dude
Old 08-21-2002, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Gary, I agree. The Majority of engines and drivelines at any streetrod show ARE Chevy. Chevy engines/drivelines ARE cheaper to buy parts for. Check Searanch's post at the top of page two of this thread; just about sums it all up, both ways. I believe that I am to the point to NEVER make fun, or ridicule, or "dis" any one else, or their ride, for any reason. The more variety, the better, IMHO. It seems that the Chevy guys (and gals) are always putting down other makes by saying the Chevys are better because they are cheaper to build. I believe all the other brands are just as proven, and just as dependable a choice. Yes, Chevys are cheaper. I dont want to start a "verbal war" here, I just think that everyone has a right to do as they please, and not worry or care about what the other person does . Every car make has had their share of hits and misses. No offense meant. Edley

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Edley

No offense was taken

We all have opinions, and at times disgree

you have a good one
Old 08-21-2002, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary, we will agree to disagree!! Take Care. Edley

Old 11-04-2002, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re; resale value...NO WORRIES!

IF and when I decide to sell (unlikely), I will pull out the so-called bastard engine and tranny and sell it without motor. It will probably still be in great shape.

Then I will recoup the value of the car...

The ZZ4 - Muncie runs so damn fast.

scratch
Old 11-04-2002, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Y'all know your stuff, so.....

Here's the weirdest one I've seen yet---what looked like a Model B flathead V-8 with a pair of "ARDUN" overhead-cam (???!!) heads on it? It was in a "Cracker-box" Jersey Sea-skiff---racing boat. Twelve and a half feet of abso-f*ckin-lute terror. The newer fiberglass fakes with 408's in 'em hit 85 and need to have their interiors sprayed (not pumped) out after each good run.... Anyone ever heard of this type of head? It had Hemi-type wire leads right through the covers. Is it a ohc "kit" for the Flathead? The owner of the boat said his FATHER bought the engine from an auto shop wh/ had removed the engine from a street-rod in 1952. He said they were old THEN! Calling Mr. Fixit!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Designed by Zor-Arkus-Duntov. Made to improve the the Flathead Ford (the "original" FE). Just think if FoMoCo had him workin' for them instead of Cheverolet
Old 11-04-2002, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

Mr. Bruce---Wow! You guys are good!
I think the flathead/ohc engine's in the orange sistership of the Yellow Crackerbox in my Photo Gallery---between the two mahogany monsters. In other words it's not in this picture. You'd be interested in Jeff Magnussen's replica Gar Wood (nearest boat)--it's got two counter-rotating Rolls Gremlins (de-supercharged Merlins) with v-drives running through TANK transmissions. The engines have fake "Packard" logos..Is it FAST? Does the Pope ____ in the...wait a minute...Is the Pope a Bear?...wait a
The other wood job (at the dock) has a singleton RR Gremlin.
The little fiberglass Yellow Bowel-melter had the 406. Do NOT try this at home. The boat w/o moptor weighed a little less than 375 lbs. Note the reversed intake horns to look like a flathead nonetheless. ...Also, this little puppy had: 450 hp, direct drive, a 12" x 26" "oversquare" prop...and two certified psychos aboard. When they launched, both gents leaned WAY to the right--to offset torque. If the driver didn't preset some "counter-rudder"--the little pipe-bomb would WALK sideways!!!!
Yabut, a Cobra's got more applications----so I'm gittin' me one....
Old 11-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I heard about some guys using a PINTO OHC head on the old Ford 4 cylinders also.

BOWTIE, you sure seem to like the abuse, lol. Here it comes: There is a "box", get inside the "box" and close the door. In the Cobra world, you must not think outside the "box". It's just not "right". The "box" is your friend. There is no fighting aloud in the "box", and the SB guys get along perfectly with the BB guys in there......

Wait, that can't be the right "box".......I'll get back to you on this.

Ernie