21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2000, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let's hear from you members with chevy powered cobras. I know there is at least 9 of you. I would like to hear about your particular car. Mine is an E-M with corvette suspension and a modified '95 vette LT1 with 4L60E tranny.
pics

[This message has been edited by Cobra2 (edited 01-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cobra2 (edited 12-20-2000).]
Old 01-09-2000, 07:25 PM
1cobralover
Visit my Photo Gallery

I don't have a chevy powered cobra but mine
is an Arntz/Butler and a lot of them were
chevy powered I would like to here from
anybody that have or has had one or has any
info on them.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2000, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am building a E-M Cobra(96" wheelbase).I am disabled & need the extra room. I have installed a 69 350/300 corvette motor w/a m21 4spd. trans.It has Corvette bucket seats,ss gas tank,vacuum controlled foot box air vents,alum covered firewall & foot boxes(welded). The exhaust runs under the car using 3 chamber flowmaster mufflers, it also has a H pipe to connect both exhaust pipes together.
It has a Must II front end(1 coil cut from the springs) - 9" ford rear(coilovers-180 in/lbs.) Cheers...Don (ST Cloud,FL -407 957-8800)
I have also spent 2 mos. building a hardtop
w/sliding plexiglass windows.
I recently added a 6 speaker stereo w/steering wheel controls.The front spks were placed in the doors & the rear spks were placed in a console between the seats, the tweeters are in the dash. The console also houses 2 cup holders & the fuse panel.

I used a Chevy motor because I love them. I have built approximately 25 cars, each with small block Chev motors.

When I went to college I majored in Mech Engr & dreamed of working for GM, but as faith would have it I ended up working for another Co.(more money & 2 advanced degrees they paid for.) I am now retired & spend most of my time working on my Cobra & helping other car owners w/their cars.I especially enjoy helping Cobra owners(I never charge for helping - It's too much fun)

[This message has been edited by Don Meyer (edited 03-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Don Meyer (edited 08-11-2000).]
Old 01-10-2000, 05:25 AM
mustang man
Visit my Photo Gallery

Here's a topic that I thought that I'd never see on Club Cobra but glad it's here.

I drag raced my Mustang for years and have benefited from lots of good aftermarket stuff available at reasonable prices. When it came to a replica though, I went back to my roots since I feel Chevy power is still a better bang for the buck.

Fact is I don't even own a Cobra but bought the replica Corvette Grand Sport from D&D. Nevertheless I love this site though because it's informative, fun (usually) and the members are so much better informed than most of the Corvette sites.

I just put up a web page (http://members.xoom.com/gavvy/vette/vettehome.html

Car is registered but now I'm struggling with the newly instituted New Jersey emissions regulations. What a pain!

Runs a 400 SB with a 350 Carrie steel crank; Tremac TKO Close ratio with Dana 44; Brakes from a ZR1 with functional ducts. Length is 171" with 98" wheelbase.

I bought the car from Tommy Jenkins in Boston a couple of months ago and am still learning the few odds and ends that need to be done.

Love the car and love this site.

Tim Lewis
Old 01-10-2000, 06:46 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mustang man,
Your GS is absolutely beautiful. It's amazing that other than the shape of the fiberglass body it is almost exactly the same as my cobra. I think my next project may be a GS. I'm looking at the ones ERA are producing.
Old 01-10-2000, 08:18 AM
mustang man
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra2

Thanks for the compliments.

I have been interested in the GS for years. I first saw the D&D model at the Columbus Run N'Gun years ago. It had potential then but still needed work.

I also didn't get good vibes from Dean. When I first heard that ERA picked up the molds, I was ecstatic, but it didn't seem to be a top priority for them. I know they are a first class outfit but I started getting impatient. Then when I heard this one was for sale...... Well I had to go for it.

Hang in there! I'm sure ERA will start to push it someday. It's just that I'm not getting any younger!

Tim
Old 01-10-2000, 08:21 AM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra2,

Hey! We have a Bowtie powered 77 Datsun truck - does that count, maybe for an honorary membership to this group?

Neal
Old 01-10-2000, 11:08 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neal.
Really? I'd like to see pics of that!
Old 01-10-2000, 11:33 AM
hgford
Visit my Photo Gallery

Seems unnatural to me. Sorta goes against the laws of nature.
Old 01-10-2000, 11:46 AM
mustang man
Visit my Photo Gallery

Which?

Neal's bowtie Datsun or my Grand Sport.

Believe me if I could find a Corvette site as good as this one, I'd be there.
Old 01-10-2000, 02:20 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Didn't know this section was here. How have you been, Cobra2?

My EM is Bow Tie as well, and for the same reason as mustang man. Being purpose built for bracket racing, the aftermarket parts available for the CSB make it an obvious choice. I still advise people building a replica as a "replica" to use Ford, however. I would love to know what influenced each of you to choose Chevy?

Now I'm going to go see about Mustang's Grand Sport!

BTW, I have new pics up on my site, visit when you can.

Regards, Art in Baton Rouge, www.cobra65.org
Old 01-10-2000, 02:27 PM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Howdy Art.
Hope you and the missus had a great holiday. We just put this area in as a place for us un-naturals to get together on tech issues etc. I will be putting some pics Peg took of #65 on the my website soon. Gonna build a Bowtie Snake page and also a club is in the works with registration cards so we can kinda get a handle on some of the many GM powered cobras out there. The membership cost will be a one time fee of $2 to cover the cost of the card and postage.
Old 01-10-2000, 03:57 PM
mr bruce
Visit my Photo Gallery

My next car is on my chassie jig now and its a corvette grandsport replica, but it ain't gonna have no stinkin belly button motor in it. REVENGE
Old 01-10-2000, 04:34 PM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

lol@Mr Bruce...Does that mean no Gray marine? get it? marine....naval....bellybutton? What motor is it going to have in it?
Old 01-10-2000, 05:58 PM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Don
You have any pics of your car in your puter?
Old 01-10-2000, 06:48 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Ok, I'll find some pics of the mini truck. You may get a kick out of it - 350cid, 350 TH, 202 transfer case, 81 Toyota 4x4 axles, 33-12.50x15 m&s tires! Lots of fun when the snow falls!

Neal
Old 01-11-2000, 02:22 AM
hgford
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mustang Man, neither one. Sorry it wasn't clear. Meant a Snake with a bowtie. Just trying to keep the conversation lively. To each their own. Have fun.
Old 01-11-2000, 11:00 AM
Torque Monster
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi there. I'm glad this site is not just for purists.

I have long pondered on what to power my Cobra project with and up until very recently had been fixed on a big block all aluminium Mopar.

You guys put a Bow Tie in a Ford to make a Bow Tie snake, so why not a Mopar Cobra, or is that a Fopar?

For the record, a 572 cube all aluminium Indy powered Mopar weighs 470lbs wet, and makes anything up to 1150hp on carbs, the Hemi is a little heavier at about 550lbs - still lighter than most small blocks.

What changed my mind was the reality of even a mildly tuned 750hp motor in a 90" wheelbase... I fear it would be too much to be able to have fun with, so am now considering around 500-530hp in a 2300lb curb weight, which I believe could be set up so you could actually use it. And this would sadly be best handled by a free revving small block... much as I love the big inch motors... maybe another car for the big motor. What do you guys think?
Old 01-11-2000, 11:41 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Torque Monster,
I agree with your thinking. There is a cobra with a viper motor in it called double venom, not sure on the h.p. though. I figure my Lt1 will make 380 h.p. which will be very streetable and plenty enough for gymkhana type events. My wife will also drive it alot even to work sometimes. That's why I went with a/c, p.s. p.b. cd. tilt, etc.
Old 01-12-2000, 11:09 AM
Torque Monster
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra2 your car will be a tremendous lot of fun and very driveable. A 380hp later model Chevy is a sweet unit, and it will be quite good on gas at cruise too - for daily driving it will be everything you imagine, and 380hp is a lot for a regular street driven Cobra. It will definitely snake past all those wimply stock 302's and should comfortably beat a stock factory 427 Cobra with the 428 depending upon the setup and weight etc of your car.

I will never understand why people buy a Cobra 427 replica that is the very emblem of unadulterated power, snaking down the pavement, terrifying women and small children, and then put a wimpy 210hp (net) 302 in it. Some just like the looks and are not comfortable with genuine Cobra performance I guess... in which case I guess they're doing themselves and other road users a favour by not going further than they can handle... no offence to anyone else reading this, I'm not criticising, them, I'm just saying that for me (and you by the sounds of it), a Cobra is only a Cobra if it runs like one.

For me, performance doesn't get exciting until about 300hp in a Cobra weight vehicle (at wheels). If your car is a manual, you should have around about 305hp at the wheels, which will provide VERY aggressive acceleration at street speeds, with better power per weight than most of the factory 428 big block cars. Don't forget your wife's heart pills!