Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster II
Not Ranked     
Default Build for a tall guy

Over the last 4 months, my dad and I have bought a CRII and began to make modifications for it to be a more comfortable car. I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. I recieved a lot of feedback and suggestions that people have had, so here is what we did. We have dropped the floor pan 3 inches, completely rebuilt the firewall, tunnel and footbox out of light guage steel, and made some modifications to the front suspension supports to get more travel distance. I didn't know how much work we were getting into, however, it is finished. I just got the frame back from powerder coating, and started seamsealing and installing heat resistant foil on firewall. Although I'm not as thourough as Ray, I'm going to attempt to past the progress as the car comes together. If there are pictures you want to see of some of the exact modifications, let me know.

Here are a couple shots from today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...17294090131170

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...17329877085618

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...17358407569954

Later,
Krewton
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Krewton........

You dont look 6'5" tall and you sure dont look 250lbs.........
but i'll take your word on that anyway........

you have a ways to go to catch up with Ray but you look like your getting after it....
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

Krewton,
A few years back Petek did a CR build and chronicled it online. He is a big guy too. (Your height and about 30 lbs. heavier) It was very detailed and organized. Someone may have already suggested this but if not it is definitely
worth having a look at.

http://www.kdomus.com/petek/cobra/

-Greg

Last edited by G_Edmonds; 01-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg,
The Petek site is fantastic. Don't look for those kind of details from me.
Thanks,
Krewton
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadesters ltd, 302, T5
Not Ranked     

Krewton:

Glad to see you post the build, you will be amazed at how quickly the time flies by. A word about posting, I found that in the past I never take enough pictures to really document the build. In fact I have done some without ever taking one photo. The commitment to this website will implore you to take some pics to share with everyone else. Plus this commitment has served as a motivator for me at times.

I know you are taking a different approach than me, ie; the 4.6. I would really be interested in your notes on how this all fit and what you are doing for the computer and fuel and other stuff. I have a good 4.6 complete that just might be in the next build, or maybe for one of my other street rods.

Enjoy the build and keep us posted.

Ray
Old 01-27-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Very nice, looks like you have done everything to squeeze out all the room you will need.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, after a run ice and snow storm through Oklahoma, we now have electricity and some heat again. The car sat for a few days, but back to it today. We finished all the heat wrapping on the firewall, and taped it all off nice a pretty. We started working on the front end. Mocked up the front arms, and got the new hubs and routers and steering mocked up. We also mocked up the front sway bar so we could fabricate the attachment on the lower A-arm. They were then removed and dropped to be powder coated. I will take pictures as soon as we get them back and mounted.

The other thing we are working on is the fuel tank. I'm running a 4.6L 281 aluminum engine from a 2001 cobra. We decided after the customer tank was built that we wanted to do fuel injected instead of carburated. We are struggling right now on internal vs. external fuel pump. We are using the stock wiring harness and Computer (that was reprogrammed). If you have done this before, I would love to hear what you decided on for fuel pump.

More tomorrow.

Krewton.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the break lines installed Tuesday. Put the rear break together. I went with the Speedway Motors big 11" setup. I don't have the rearend hanging on the car yet, but the everything is on it and ready to go. Lower A-arms and front sway bar should be back from powdercoating today.

Here are a couple shots of the break lines we put on.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...32856337330498

We used 3/16 stainless line. We ran the line to the rear down inside the frame, and put in a 1/2" rubber hose to keep from rattleing. We then filled with foam.

Heading out of town for a couple days, so back to it on Saturday. Hope to get front and rear suspension hung, brakes finished, gas tank in, fuel line ran, and on wheels. If we can do that, it will look like we accomplished something this weekend.

Krewton
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadesters ltd, 302, T5
Not Ranked     

Look at you, "show off', you got a rotisserie. and I spent all that time rolling around on a creeper. Hats off to you. looks like you are making progress.

Ray
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rotisserie has to be one of the best inventions ever for a car builder. We would have been there another year with all the fab work we did if we hadn't have had it. Your car looks fantastic Ray.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick update. As always, things are a little slower than planned. Had too many trips to the hardware store for spacers and washers. Got the front suspension and brake lines ran. Also ran the fuel line through the frame from front to back. Next up, hanging the rear end and completing the brakes

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...11110303211634

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...11377881344882

Here is the rear shot of the car with brake lines down driver side and fuel lines down the other. Still need to make rubber gromets to seal around the opening and foam in place.

Krewton
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Krewton,

I live on the north side of the lake. I'm going fuel injected (86 5.0 HO) so keep us posted on pump and exhaust sensor locations. What front sway bar did you use? Its great you are posting the build. Looking good! Like Hray said, keep lots of pictures coming.

See ya at Pops.

Sunman
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ClassicRoadster 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

krewton I'am also putting 4.6 in a CR onl out of 03 supercharged cobra with polished charger metco pulley's , a 1000's fuel pump with return,9 in, track @ touring 13 in Baer brakes. custom wiring harness. you will have a great time building Hope to see it in ohio for the show in june
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wreckerboy,

Last chance..if you know what I mean?

Krewton, just did some research with FORD about the 02's in a cobra with 4 into 1 sidepipes. Let us know what/where you are placing them please!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sunman,
I went with the CR swaybar. I bought the extra that Ray had. Just got it powdercoated silver and ready to drill holes for mounts and mock up this week. My kit came with one, but it was not the CR, and didn't fit properly. You also might look at Rays post for what he did with the mustangII swaybar.
Krewton
Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
I sent the ECU off to be reprogrammed to require 2 sensors instead of 4. I'm not using CR pipes, I had some custom pipes made. The sensors are mounted on the flange that attaches to the bottom of the headers. I was directed this way from Emerson. This is what they do with all their 4.6 fuel injected setups. We should know how well it works in a week or two (gocart phase).

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...33463397819810

Krewton
Old 02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ClassicRoadster 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Ed right now i am about 6 weeks away from getting your car or at least coming up to look at all the stuff need to sell this one and i think i will tune around the o 2 's I have a great ford tuner he designed and built the 03 04 mustang elctrictronic's for ford very good at getting great hp out of these motor's 850 at rear wheels ver easy jeff
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Krewton,
Excellent, they told me at the collector but no more than 18 inches from the head. IF WE COULDN'T get the 18 inch mark than pick one pipe that would be in the parameter of 18 needed.
DV
Ps wrecker boy, I'll give you a call.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wreckerboy,
I would love to see what kind of configuration you are talking about on this engine to get 850 HP. I've see several different setups that get to 500-550 HP very easy, but would like to get more details from you.
Krewton
Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, we are finally off of the rotisserie. I'm learning that things are never as easy or fast as they seem. We have the rear end mounted with all suspension and brakes, as well as the gas tank mounted. Here is a couple shots of the rear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...85946157063170

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...85788601792450

We are trying to figure out the best location to mount an external pump. Remeber, we are doing fuel injected. Does anyone have any suggestions that has gone with an external pump before? You can also see in the picture of the rear that our fuel line that is ran through the frame is a little short. We have ordered another that will give us plenty of length to go all the way to the pump, wherever it is located.

Next up, finish the fuel setup, and finish some work on the pedals.

On a side note, we were mocking the dip stick into the engine today, and had a bit of dirt fall inside, so we got to pull the oil pan off and clean up. In doing so, we found a large piece of hard red plastic floating lose. This is a new motor, new pan, and has never been turned over, but I dread to think what would have happend had we not found that by accident today.

Later.

Krewton