Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     
Default Is this my last one?

Could be my last Cobra. (?) Been a topsy / turvy 30 years for sure!

(Finally figured out the problem on the pics!)

George Lamb let me have the privilege of straightening out his Cobra and is now residing back in the Chicago area.

To ALL that came before, I thank you, for those that may still come ????

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-01-2010 at 03:34 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII 351W/408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to capteddie
Not Ranked     

You could always finished what you started on mine....

Please tell me these are not the bolts holding my roll bar....

Didn't think this is what I paid for. I'll log out now so I don't go into the gas tank leak, the un-finished finish on the body and I'll stop there.

FYI > CRII Cobra for sale. Minus engine and transmission $20K. Much, much, much, much more than that invested in the build. I'll throw in a all aluminum Serpent Express for an extra $4000.00
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Ouch! That hurts.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What can I say? Yes, those are your roll bar bolts. I wont go into the times I had to practically beg you to leave the car here to be checked and finished. The car was never driven due to all kinds of mismatched mechanicals. Even the Pro's at Mears told you they were not able to test drive your car.

How many times did you tell me that you had bought a new lift and that you would go over the entire car on your lift when you got it home - prior to driving it?

Ed, I have made mistakes and I never hide behind them nor make excuses for them. Countless times I told you your car was NOT done, just let me finish it. You insisted that you were going to take it home, you were tired of making excuses why your car wasn't home.....wrong rear bushings, wrong tranny, weeks of waiting for rear control arms, bad fiberglass, wrong flywheel, motor mounts welded in wrong and I haven't even touched on the special modifications that you wanted...and got.

I'm sorry you are obviously not happy with your car, I tried everything I knew how. (I was warned but I thought for sure I could make what you wanted!)

How many times, even before you left the shop with a "Shiny" car that I told you it still needed finished buffed and sealed one last time to remove the haze? Again I got from you I'll take it home and buff it out! No problem, we went over the different compounds and even the type of buffers you could use.

As far as the gas leak showing up weeks / months (?) after it was done and tested-OK, is not acceptable! I'm still waiting for the final out come on that one--tested weld under pressure or a fitting? (Your tank was tested at 15+ psi for 24 hours and showed no loss of air watt so ever!??)

I asked and told you right here very publicly many times to bring the car back anytime and I would go over every complaint you had. What I got was a final answer of a OK sort of but you were not going to leave the car more than 3 or four days), Rush it through once again.... I do not remember the exact time frame but I am sure you will find it in the posts and be able to bring it up.

Ed, your a great guy, and I want to again Thank You for all the help on my computer problems that you provided! I WOULD do it again in a minute for you, but I'm afraid we would have to set some ground guidelines to go by.

If you are set to sell, whoever gets that sweetheart WILL have a heck of a car. Hope they are a little bit smaller though. There are countless modifications to your Cobra that make it one of a kind.

I AM truly sad that I couldn't make you 100 and 10 Percent happy! After the nightmare with CR's you sure didn't need any more problems with the build!

I'd STILL be proud to put my "DV" plate on the car! When you do find a buyer tell him I will STILL take care of any problems that may be left, including the tank! If I had the resources or even my goose neck trailer I would pick up and transport the car back here for free. You certainly made enough trips during the build- I thought you were enjoying the build process, apparently the trips were becoming a headache though!

Buying that car for 25K with a beautiful aluminum Serpent trailer IS s steal and I wish you luck.
Ed -Dv- Combs

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-01-2010 at 04:39 AM..
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

DV,

That was a good level-headed, well thought out reply. Kudos to you.

We don't always get both sides of the story, but I would suggest to anyone, along with CaptEddie, that you contact a builder/vender PRIVATELY before blasting them on a public forum. Almost 100% of the time, you can get your gripes and complaints well taken care of. Every Club Cobra member doesn't know both sides of the story and it's not right to get an opinion on someone based on a one-sided waylaying of someone publically.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ya I know its my fault. Or someone else, like Bakker, Gary over in Mears, or the guy who built my motor because he used a Holley and according to you, Holley's are nothing but trouble. (side note the Holley os back and works great) or maybe it was that guy you let work on my car who put the front wheel bearings in backwards.

Either way. I paid for services (more $$$ than you even asked for) and a finished product, that you set the expectations on the finish quality and condition.

Yes I know you begged me not to take the car. In fact you asked me not to take the car about a half a dozen times, because thats about the amount of completion dates you had given me that were missed.

This is ALL I'm going to say on this subject. The car is not what I expected and the quality of what I got was not what I paid for. The inspector was the one that pointed out the sloppy roll bar bolts, along with other stuff he was not real please about.

The car is for sale at a cheap price. If it doesn't sell by spring, maybe I'll roll it in the fox river and make a fish habitat out of it.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
DV,

That was a good level-headed, well thought out reply. Kudos to you.

We don't always get both sides of the story, but I would suggest to anyone, along with CaptEddie, that you contact a builder/vender PRIVATELY before blasting them on a public forum. Almost 100% of the time, you can get your gripes and complaints well taken care of. Every Club Cobra member doesn't know both sides of the story and it's not right to get an opinion on someone based on a one-sided waylaying of someone publically.
Brent, Thanks for chiming in. This car was built in a very public way on this forum and has help a lot of people in the process. Some, but not all of my disappointments are documented in the build thread. I have all the emails and PMs that went back and forth about issues, along with every receipt of what was spent on this build.

As I said a post up. It's all water under the bridge at this point. Learned some lessons, spent some money, time to move on. Its not worth the effort to sling any more mud.

over and out!

Ed

Last edited by capteddie; 08-01-2010 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 08-01-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No mud slinging and I appreciate your voiced complaints. I don't want you to go away mad at all, obviously your disappointed, but you have got to remember a couple of things. Regarding the Holley, YES they can and are a problem for most people. One backfire and the power valve is shot as in your case. I offered numerous times to replace the P.V., Klotz has them hanging on the wall!

Wheel bearings- absolutely wrong, no excuse, I told you immediately when we found out they were in backwards. (John the employee who was trying to help meet your deadline(s) had no excuses either, just a very red face!) I called him/John as soon as I left Mears and told him I NO longer needed his services but thanks for trying!

Now, IF it happens to turn into a "Man Made Reef" for the local fishing habitat, If I am not embarrassing you or me, let me have it over the winter and absolutely list every complaint you have! I will post every complaint with pictures and the repairs OR tightening of bolts to show the fix. I will also cut the inside of the trunk out and reinforce the fiberglass around the license plate so Godzilla could sit on it and close it.

Then the only reason to put it on your Lift is to wax it!

By the way, I will also cut out the left side of the dash for your knee if you want. IF it takes new leather I will get it and also move the gauges back or anyway you might like them!

My very sincere apology's for your troubles.
DV

PS Nothing would make me happier than to see you Happy with that profound Cobra!

One more thing, remember I also told you that we always had some type of glitch with every Cobra we made.... Well George Lamb had one too! He fired up his car in the shop, moved it out side and lined it up to the trailer. Turned it off and got out....minutes later he jumped back in to move it and the &%^&$# was absolutely Dead! Tracked it down to the ignition switch where a wire had not been pushed on until it "clicked!" Fixed that and he was on his way! Always something!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let me think about it. I have NO desire at all, at this point to throw more money at this car.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! Good news everyone is still talking. I vote let him have it back for a couple three months, you cant be any further behind they you currently are. These Cobras regardless of make and model are nothing but Junk when compared to your dailey driver. Obviously some have more growing pains than other but if you stick with eventually you will reap the rewards. I also agree do not spend one more penny on it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Getting back on track; DV I hope that this current build is not your last. Those of us in the CR world enjoy your posts and participation, not to mention the knowledge you have generously shared. I hope you "Keep on keepin on".

Jim
Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I absolutley hate the idea that this very public build of yours goes south. I'm sure I am not alone when saying we (a lot of us) were living vicariously through you two and feel we got to know you guys and the car. You both still seem very honorable and I for one hope you can work it out. Good luck!

John
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've had mine for many years and am still working out the bugs, I think it never ends.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Mabe someone should buy a Corvette. Not everyone is cut out for a cobra. Ask the Kirkham guy that lost his shirt! He didn't know how to turn a wrench. Now he drives a vette
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

His build was plauged with alot of problems it should not have been. If GM and Ford built cars like Cobra replica companies we would still be on horses. People promised him things and as usual in today society they did not deliver. All though Cobra owners are trained and coerced into beleiving everything is their fault, and "we have never seen that before" "you are the first" the bottom line is we are not dealing with rocket scientist on these builds and even though they feel they have 20 years experience, what they have is one year 20 times and in the end the buyer pays for the whole party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
Mabe someone should buy a Corvette. Not everyone is cut out for a cobra. Ask the Kirkham guy that lost his shirt! He didn't know how to turn a wrench. Now he drives a vette
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
This had nothing to do with my ability to turn a wrench or not. Trust me, I can turn a wrench.

What was being debated here between DV and myself. Has much more to do about the quality of the finish on the car and the perception of getting what you payed for.

Some people here that have followed the building of this car. Have a lot of insight into the ups and downs this project went through, starting out with CR closing up shop right after I picked the body up.

My assumption would be that you haven't followed our build threat anywhere close to some of the others, so maybe you should make another bowl of popcorn and sit on the side lines and watch DV and I sort this out.

Last edited by capteddie; 08-02-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Personally, I believe it would be best if you guys spoke offline. There is nothing to be gained by airing private issues in a public forum.

________
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Ed,
You know I respect your voice and opinions on just about everything you post. Lot of good info coming from your way.

I am however glad I cancelled my last post. I let it sit on my computer for over an hour and was just about ready to post it when I noticed Cpteddie did a much better job on that posting than I ever could! Think I'll just keep it in my file until my tongue quits bleeding.

I trust Cpteddie and I will make sure he is satisfied, but....if it does come back I will "most likely" post any questionable work with the solution on the board. Call it a mis-communication or what ever, but those roll bar bolts should have never left the shop loose, regardless of the reason
Dv
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Venom View Post
those roll bar bolts should have never left the shop loose, regardless of the reason
Dv
DV is one of the few remaining human beings left on this planet who does not have the "Me First / I Am Always Right" mentality. Something we should all aspire to, myself included.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 08-02-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

A classy guy who does what he can to further our chosen avocation.