Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Side Pipes

I need to either fix or replace my side pipes. The muffler inserts are rotting out and rattling. Does anyone know if a place that can make a repair then re-coat them or am I going to have to replace them.

If I have to replace them, then I need a place that is familiar with class roadsters and can build to fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I doubt you can repair them. You probably will need to replace at least part. Classic Chambered (and others) can sell you the center muffler section in several lengths, and they can weld on the turnouts too. If your collectors are in good shape, I would think any good exhaust shop can weld them to the new muffler section and mount them. You could either paint with VHT or have them ceramic coated.

Last edited by lippy; 08-07-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

What Lippy said is right on. I purchased new mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust and had a fab shop cut the old mufflers out and weld the new mufflers in. Then off to get ceramic coated. BTW- the original CR mufflers are very restrictive and I literally picked up about 70hp with the change. I dyno'd before and after so no BS there. I went with the 2 1/2" id x 30" with packing, louvers open to the exit side of the pipe. Much deeper note too.

John
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

I am in the process of building new ones for the same reason. I should be receiving the parts later today, a 3" mandrel bent "U" pipe to make the two down-turns from and two V-band flanges. My buddy has two brand new mufflers he's not going to use, so he will weld everything together in the next few days.
3.00" Mild Steel, 6.00" Radius, 180 Degree Mandrel Bend Columbia River Mandrel Bending

My present pipes, which are chromed, were modified with V-band clamps a few years ago so I could easily switch to shorty, wide-open pipes for the track.

I believe I will paint the new ones white with "Flame-Proof" paint, I think it will look good with my paint scheme.

I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days after we start on the project.
Ralph
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

A couple of years ago I cut my FFR mufflers out and welded in some new ones from Classic Chambered Exhaust. Not a difficult process, really. But the results are impressive. I didn't do any dyno testing. But the sound is much better; not as harsh, not as loud.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a new set of side pipes for my Contemporary I'm not going to use.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Shelby Cobra, 427FE side oiler, 4 speed top loader, dual holly carbs. Carbon Fiber Frame.
Not Ranked     
Default Mufflers

Go to the for sale section and in the search tag, put in mufflers. Look at the ones that I put on my Cobra. These are extra, but read all about them. These will last a very long time.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAgrest View Post
I need to either fix or replace my side pipes. The muffler inserts are rotting out and rattling. Does anyone know if a place that can make a repair then re-coat them or am I going to have to replace them.

If I have to replace them, then I need a place that is familiar with class roadsters and can build to fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
I did my own headers and all. Photo's are on the board here someplace! I used 3" ID Cherry Bombs, they flow much better and sound good! I think they look good check the photo's
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Just a suggestion.

Whatever you do, do it with your intent on the vehicle.

I had creamic, chrome over and was getting into SS. But I drive my car.

I ended up, after several years of different pipes, steel that any skilled welder can make and painting them with high heat semigloss black.

If the paint chips or gets FUBAR, I blast and repaint.

Just something to think about.

Tru
Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

Tru, what kind of mufflers did you use. My pipes, from 1997, are still good, but way too loud. I want a slightly quieter, and deeper tone, and have a skilled exhaust guy to do it for me. He may not be sure on muffler selection. Thanks! Chris
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Here is the link to mine! Diy The turn-outs ($10-12) are welded to the Cherry Bombs and you could weld them to your CR collectors. They are not that loud until you step on the pedal hard!

Diy

Last edited by Lightingrod; 09-13-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Classic Chambered Cobra Pack

Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Home Page

if you want a quieter muffler then buy longer ones. I replaced my 24" with 28" and they are quieter.

Dwight
Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingrod View Post
Here is the link to mine! Diy ...

Diy
Al, I looked at your build-site and shot off an e-mail to those guys you used for coating. I only need the mufflers/downturns coated and asked for a quote from them.
I gave you credit for advertising for them!
Ralph
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with their work and service! They did the Cobra as well as the 2" SuperComps on my old 454SS truck.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

I had the Corvette side pipe muffler modified to fit in a shell and prior to the turn out used an internal baffle from a Harley exhaust.. Quieter than the Arizona Exhaust, no longer in business, mufflers and for mild street driving could not detect any performance degradation.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3" ID, 4" by 30" body and 35" overall Cherry bombs are $76.00! Now I know LOUD is a relative term! The Cobra is not as loud as my old truck (3" super 40's) but then again it does set off car alarms! If, again if the Cherry Bombs are not to loud for you I think they are a real good deal and they come in a lot of different sizes!

I had the Cobra out this afternoon. A Boss 302 Mustang wanted to play, he got SNAKE bit! I was on my way to the VFW, a few minutes later a friend stop by. He heard us go by and said he knew it was me! His house is close to the road, so?

Options, are always good! Look, listen, research and then make your own decision, chances are you will have a better result than all of us put together, and that's the purpose of this board!

Last edited by Lightingrod; 09-14-2013 at 07:15 PM..