Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 1991. 351W
Not Ranked     
Default New CR Owner....Howdy Everyone

Hi to all the CR owners out there! I just bought my 1991 CR Classic 427 last week. This looks like a great forum to learn more about the product and get tips on my CR. Thanks in advance for the advice I am sure to receive on future questions I will post.

The biggest challenge so far is getting it registered here in Ca. It was previously regestered in Ca but that was over 10 years ago, so I am basically starting all over with the DMV. You would think 5 1/2 hours in the DMV would be enough to get it done.....NOT! Sometimes I wonder how anything gets done in this state.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your new toy. Hang in there with the DMV and keep us posted on your progress. I had a rough time getting mine registered 10 years ago because I purchased it out of state and SB100 numbers were in short supply. But I did get it done.

John
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks John and I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Good luck with DMV CobraDude. For those of you not in Calif. in our DMV's you have to stand in line to get a number so you can again stand in line. No laughing, it's true.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

10 years ago!) Eek! Please tell us it isn't registered as a "66 Ford? (By the way- absolutely nothing wrong with a 10 yr old CR!)
By the way Welcome...and you will prevail!

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 07-29-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries DV, My reg. is legal and legit. The 10 years it's been mine I have been getting this car to where it is today. Lot's of upgrades and goodies while being able to drive and have fun along the way. The car was originally titled in 1997 which makes it 17 years old. Jeez, the motor is from a 1973 truck (41 years). Just getting broken in. The paint and body show some age but the mechanicals are working very well. I do get the "is it an original" quite often. I guess my answer should be "yes, an original replica kit of limited production". A rare find indeed.

I hope CobraDude66 has as much fun with his. Oceanside, CA isn't such a bad place to be driving around in a roadster.

John
Old 07-29-2014, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAgrest View Post
Good luck with DMV CobraDude. For those of you not in Calif. in our DMV's you have to stand in line to get a number so you can again stand in line. No laughing, it's true.
Maybe your not paying enough in State Taxes? Just asking.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, we pay plenty of State Taxes. I mean, this is California we are talking about.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When i bought my CR, it was already registered in Calif. so I didn't have to deal with DMV for that. My car is registered as a "0000 Special Construction". I did ask DMV if I could get that changed and was told not, all kit cars are registered that way. Not sure if that's corret or not but I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Here is an update: So I was able to get whats called a 500 series number from Sacramento (only 500 issued every year). This will make the car a SPCNS or special make/model replica/kit car. Since the engine (351w) is out of a 69 Mach One, it looks like the car will be registered as a 69 Ford, not 1991 which was the year CR produced the body. The next step is a VIN verification by the CHP, then an appointment with a BAR Smog Referee (fantasy football anyone???) where the car should get a placard saying it is origional equipment and no smog is required. Then back to the DMV to get the final registration issued. After all this, I need to submit a SB100 form, which will make the car free from ever having to be smogged.

Never an easy way of doing things in the great state of Ca!

I bought the car in Nevada and it hasn't been registered since 2007. The previous owner drove it once a month to keep the juices going and only put 2000 miles on it over the 10 years he owned it. It has a total of 26,000 miles on it now. The car is in incredable shape (i will post pics soon) and is in the shop now getting a complete tune up/check up etc...

Ed
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's pretty much the same path I had to follow. Getting my SB100 number was my biggest challenge as we who wanted them had to camp out early at the DMV on Jan. 2nd to be first in line. Took until about 11:00 that morning before the phone call to Sac. went through. There were 5 of us who needed numbers at my DMV. The CHP was a breeze and so was the BAR and then at the DMV plates were issued. BTW my car came from Carson City Nev. Good on you getting a number in July, things have changed.

John
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi John,

I guess good things come out of Nevada! Your snake looks great! Thanks for the info you provided, I was actually under the impression that the series 500 was going to be the toughest part and was relieved when I got it. Oh well I guess I will cross the SB100 bridge when I get there.

I was told from another cobra club member that the BAR would be tough to pass if I didnt have a closed PVC system. He said I would have to have:

1) a vent line from the PVC on one valve cover to the intake manifold

2) a vent line from the other valve cover going to a filtered air source in the intake system

Does this make sense to you and do you have this or a similar set up? He said they would fail me without this type of closed PVC system.

Thanks again for your info,

Ed
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraDude,
Yes you have good info.

1. My PVC connects to a manifold port on the back of my carb from the passenger side valve cover.

2. Driver side has a grommet at the fill hole with a hose connection that goes to the bottom of the air filter.

I'm pretty sure that is all the smog equipment you need.

John
Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, perfect, thanks John!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is an update on the registration process.....

Tried to make an appt with the DAR to see a smog referee, but was told I needed to see the CHP for a VIN verification. Called the CHP and made an appt for Oct 1st (first available appt). Was told I needed a REG 124 form from DMV first. I went online and looked at the form and it didn't seem right as its a form for an engine change verification. Called CHP back and actually talked to an officer who said, no....you dont need to see us as the car has a Ca VIN number and was "blue chipped" by the CHP years ago. Called the DAR back to make an appointment to see the smog referree and they said ok, but do I have a "certificate of sequence" certificate? I said no, I do however have a "500 series" number that was issued by Sacramento last week when I spent 5.5 hrs at the DMV. They said I had to have an official copy of the certificate to meet the smog referee. Back on the phone with the DMV (after 2hrs and 3 people later) I finally spoke with a person in the "special processing unit" who assured me the certificate will arrive within 2-3 weeks. Its been almost 2 weeks so lets see if I get something in the next week or so.

In the mean time, I took the car out last weekend to air up the tires (it has only been run once a month for the past 7 years) so they were extremely low (like only had 5lbs of air each). Once the tires were good to go I jumped in for a quick drive before heading home and unfortunately flooded the engine and eventually had to have a jump start. Finally got on the road and got a ton of thumbs up and one guy in a Porsche said it is the most beautiful car he has ever seen! The car runs very rich and is temper mental until it warms up, which is to be expected after hardly getting any use for 7 years, so I know it needs to have a thorough mechanical shakedown. On the way home it stalled at a light and of course I only got 2 turnovers before the battery was done. So I ended up having it towed to a mechanic (love AAA) who will completely go over the car and give me updates as he goes through all the systems etc... This is actually good timing as I had a procedure done last week on a tear of my rt achilles tendon so I cant drive for at least a couple of weeks anyway. If the Cobra was in my garage...trust me I would find ways of storing my crutches and driving it with a boot on my rt leg!!! Its much safer at the mechanics for now :-)

Will provide updates soon....
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

This has been another fantastic journey to read.
When you start speed shifting in your sleep let us know

DV
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will do DV! Haven't gotten to speed shifting yet......however the wife is telling me my snoring is sounding more and more like the Cobra going from 1st through 3rd!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351 Cleveland
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDude66 View Post
Here is an update on the registration process.....

Tried to make an appt with the DAR to see a smog referee, but was told I needed to see the CHP for a VIN verification. Called the CHP and made an appt for Oct 1st (first available appt). Was told I needed a REG 124 form from DMV first. I went online and looked at the form and it didn't seem right as its a form for an engine change verification. Called CHP back and actually talked to an officer who said, no....you dont need to see us as the car has a Ca VIN number and was "blue chipped" by the CHP years ago. Called the DAR back to make an appointment to see the smog referree and they said ok, but do I have a "certificate of sequence" certificate? I said no, I do however have a "500 series" number that was issued by Sacramento last week when I spent 5.5 hrs at the DMV. They said I had to have an official copy of the certificate to meet the smog referee. Back on the phone with the DMV (after 2hrs and 3 people later) I finally spoke with a person in the "special processing unit" who assured me the certificate will arrive within 2-3 weeks. Its been almost 2 weeks so lets see if I get something in the next week or so.

In the mean time, I took the car out last weekend to air up the tires (it has only been run once a month for the past 7 years) so they were extremely low (like only had 5lbs of air each). Once the tires were good to go I jumped in for a quick drive before heading home and unfortunately flooded the engine and eventually had to have a jump start. Finally got on the road and got a ton of thumbs up and one guy in a Porsche said it is the most beautiful car he has ever seen! The car runs very rich and is temper mental until it warms up, which is to be expected after hardly getting any use for 7 years, so I know it needs to have a thorough mechanical shakedown. On the way home it stalled at a light and of course I only got 2 turnovers before the battery was done. So I ended up having it towed to a mechanic (love AAA) who will completely go over the car and give me updates as he goes through all the systems etc... This is actually good timing as I had a procedure done last week on a tear of my rt achilles tendon so I cant drive for at least a couple of weeks anyway. If the Cobra was in my garage...trust me I would find ways of storing my crutches and driving it with a boot on my rt leg!!! Its much safer at the mechanics for now :-)

Will provide updates soon....
Wow you have the exact same story as me! Me and my dad built our car when we bought it from classic roadster in 1998. The car is now mine and after sitting for years I went through the same headache last year getting registration. But.... this year i never got my registration renewal?? So after hours at the DMV they couldnt find me in the computer?? They said to call sacramento because its an error on thier end. My fingers are crossed and hope i dont need to go through it all again because someone else dropped the ball.
But right now my car is on jacks in my garage and im making some suspension changes so im not in a huge hurry since its not drivable for another month or so.

Davey
Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351 Cleveland
Not Ranked     

Im new to this forum and it would be great to find out more info on my car. Wish i had our original manual when we built the car.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Davey,

I have only been on here for a couple of weeks myself. There is a ton of guys that are willing to provide info so dont be shy! DV has been a great resource and knows these cars inside and out and seems to always be willing to help owners whenever he can.

Good luck on your car and with the registration issue. I will keep posting my progress with the DMV and who knows, maybe one of these days I will meet up with you on the road.

Ed