Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster,351w 405HP
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield Support...

Thought I would post a question here to the guys with a convertible top. With the top on,side windows not on the car; the top of the windshield oscillates above 45mph. caused by wind coming in the car. Get worse as speed increases so I'm concerned that the windshied will crack. Installed a windshield support from Finish Line; helped a little....anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it. thanks Charlie
Old 08-17-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have not had that problem, and I have driven my ERA at 75 mph with just the soft top and no side curtains and did not have any oscillation. You could see that without the center support that the top would try to pull the center of the windshield up. The oscillating has me a little concerned and makes me think that the supports on either side have come loose. You may want to check the side supports. Take a look at the bows as well. How tight does the top fit?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1795...thanks for your reply. I have checked the the side supports and they were tight. The bows are snug in their body mounting holes. I will say that top canvas from the windshield to the first bow is somewhat loose...think that could be the problem? The top has never been used...will it shrink with water?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do not expect that the top will shrink. Having the top loose between the windshield and the first bow is not good; it should be taught. You need to find a way to take some of the slack out. You could try to flex the bows a little to raise the height, or you could even try experimenting with cutting a piece of tubular foam insulation and inserting it over the front bow and see if that has any positive effect. It would be risky and problematic to detach the soft top material from the front header bows and pull tight and re-glue. Would not want to suggest that and have you ruin your top. The foam would be the cheapest remedy and would give you an idea of how much movement you need for a permanent solution, and if it would even work. I would start with that before bending bows or other more costly measures.

Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just tried the foam above the bow...seems to have positive effect. Thanks for the idea....I will look closer at the front of the top assembly to see what if anything can be done to make the top fit tighter.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Starwolf,
As far as I know the oscillation is a permanent problem with the CR's top. In fact until I read 1795's post I thought all cobras had this problem with the soft top. Lone Star will not even sell a soft top due to the problems at speed. It WILL bust your windshield at speed (?).

"Double Venom" used a 4 Point roll bar. The cross bar replaced the front hoop. It was also 1" higher with an OD of 2 inches. This was a huge improvement over the stock hoops but did not end the problem although much higher speeds were easily obtainable. A final fix I felt comfortable with: Two straps made with velcro fasteners were sewn in by an upholstery shop. About 6"s in from both sides, the velcro was pulled tight around the roll bar. Summary: the tall roll bar pushed the top up tight and with a 2" diameter, then the velcro held it tight to the bar. The center windshield bar was installed.

I only got to test it at 'speed' once- 97.3 mph without a waiver or bobble. At this point I was stopped by one of Ohio's finest and got a serious butt chewing! He knew who I was and that we were donating "DV" to Cystic Fibrosis in less than a week. (DVSF III) .

Not having time to get DV back to Hondas test track, that was my only test before we raffled DV off. My goal was to hit a sustained 110 as MPH which didn't happen. As far as I knew the winner, Chuck Siefke never put the soft top on the car.

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-17-2014 at 07:50 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting...hard to believe that every CR has this problem. So it would seem that getting the top taunt or tight without loose material would help. I do not need to get 100mph but 65 or 70 would be nice..

1795...curious, how many hoops hold your ERA top up...two or three?

Last edited by starwolf56; 08-18-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Starwolf.
If your top is pretty standard and I assume it is you can maintain 70 MPH by physically holding onto the top of windshield. (Not long mind you before your arm wears out!)
DV
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,

A real man should be able to manage at least 80 mph before his arms tires

I have the front bows that attach to the windshield and then two bows on the back support. My top was custom fit by ERA, they made sure it was tight. Without the center support I can easily see how these tops could rip the windshield off at highway speeds.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is why ERA IS ERA!
DV

Both hands 80 mph! I agree for a real man, it's steering with your knees at that speed that's a #@#@#!!

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-18-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Think I found the solution...I machined a sleeve 1" long and installed it over the pins that the rear bow assembles on. Still has plenty of pin length going into the rear hoop; but will put a spot of weld on it anyway. This raises the rear of the roof line and takes up the slack in the soft top. Can't really see the difference..so it looks fine. Took it for a 20 mile ride up to 75mph ; the oscillating is gone. I do have the center support... thanks for your insight 1795....got me thinking!

Had to find a solution to this one....could not bear to use a hand to hold the windshield....need that for the coffee cup. Some of us actually tour around in these things. NEED coffee.... : )

Last edited by starwolf56; 08-18-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Old 08-18-2014, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Charlie,

Great!! I was wondering if you could do that, but was not sure that you would have enough pin length. I love to cruise in mine as well, took a 1,000 mile trip with it in July. If you patent that fix I want dibs!!

Now a real man would be able to hold his coffee between his knees and sip it with a straw as he shifted with his elbow and steered with his legs while holding the windshield with both hands at 100 mph....

Jim
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL... can do all of that ....but ...a real man does not "Sip" his coffee with a straw!

Did a 800 mile tour in the Adirondacks the first week of august....nice ride !
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed, but I could not come up with any other way at the moment. I am hoping to take my car for a tour through the Adirondacks some time soon. Lots of nice windy roads.

Last edited by 1795; 08-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Came home from the trip and made a cup holder in my shop....really needed one.LOL Photo of it are in my gallery.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you have the top on with the adapted bow, does it alter the fit of the side curtains on top? Is there any gap?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1795... Up in the shop..tried the side windows and they fit fine. The back bow faces somewhat to the rear so it really just pulls the soft top toward the back and not so much up. You gave me a scare...
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's good. Saw the cup holders, looks nice. Some day we will have to get together for a cruise.