Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Buying a CRII...Quests...

Hi All!

I am looking to join the addiction and own a cobra. It seems the CRII is more in my price range than others, and found one already assembled-which helps! I am new to CR, but have been watching for a while from the side...so besides the "they can be built with anything" comments...

Is it normal for these to have no power steering?
(the one I am looking at has manual)

what about power brakes?

What is range for a clean small block, tremec well-built classic blue/white stripe with light interior price range?

THANKS!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
Hi All!

I am looking to join the addiction and own a cobra. It seems the CRII is more in my price range than others, and found one already assembled-which helps! I am new to CR, but have been watching for a while from the side...so besides the "they can be built with anything" comments...

1: Is it normal for these to have no power steering?
(the one I am looking at has manual)

2: what about power brakes?

3: What is range for a clean small block, tremec well-built classic blue/white stripe with light interior price range?

THANKS!
1: Power brakes are rare to be found in any Cobra replica

2: Same for power brakes

3: I've seen running, driving cars go from $18,200-$44,000, it really depends on the quality of parts used, and the quality of the build itself.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-01-2015, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Some examples / data points of CR Cobras for sale (the last two have been sold, but the asking price is listed):
1967 AC Cobra 427 Wide Flare for sale #1726924 | Hemmings Motor News
Classic Roadsters 427S/C Cobra, Versailles Blue, For Sale
Gateway Classic Cars - classic cars for sale, muscle cars for sale, street rods, hot rods, mopars, antique cars, vintage cars

The first is yellow with white stripes, while the last two are your desired blue with white stripes. Obviously you'll need to assess the relative value of each, with consideration to how they're equipped relative not only to each other but also to the one you're looking at.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

AWESOME! thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking around for a cruiser
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the links. Found a local San Diego Ca SB100 titled 91 CRI in my price range.
Problem is it has 26,000 mi. Otherwise real nice condition. What effect would the higher milage (more than most i've seen) have on resale value?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Higher mileage does not have a large impact on re-sale. The question is, when do you plan on re-selling the car? If you plan on re-selling soon, then why bother buying? Take the car and enjoy it. Personally, I would rather buy a car that has been driven and sorted out a little, than a car that was driven for a few hundred miles a year and has not even been broken in yet. It might seem nice to have a very low mileage car, but you really do not know what you have until after a few thousand miles. Some poor builld quality issues will not show up in the first few miles.
cycleguy55 and moore_rb like this.

Last edited by 1795; 06-02-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

26,000 miles may sound like a lot - for a Cobra. Consider this, though, that car is 24 years old, so it's averaged a bit over 2,000 miles per year - I put more than that on my bicycle.

Check it out, buy it, take it home, check it out again - then enjoy it!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Looks like you have your questions answered but I can address the power steering issue. When I bought my CRII I was concerned about it not having power steering. The first time I drove it I realized my concerns were unfounded. Not only don't you need it but it feels right. You will have a great "feel" for the car. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My West Coast Cobra (with a heavy 460 CID engine) has power steering and I've lowered the pressure by using a Borgeson kit in the Saginaw pump. The next step is to install a flow reducer to reduce the boost and add more steering feel to it. I have toyed with the idea of removing the PS altogether, but then the steering rack needs to be replaced or modified - but I may get there.

PS is a benefit when parallel parking but, really how often do we do that with our Cobras?

My WCC also has power brakes and I do believe there is some benefit to that, especially as WCCs and Kellison Stallions are heavier than most Cobras which run manual brakes. PS does need a minimum amount of vacuum to make it work. If the cam is too radical to provide that vacuum you will need either a vacuum pump or a hydroboost system.
Double Venom likes this.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

No power brakes or power steering here. Wilwood 11" discs all the way around with the correct pedal ratio...stops great. The steering is tough if your not moving but no problem when the car is rolling. I have no plans to change it.

No heater, defroster, or air conditioning either. Pretty basic and simple. Just the way I like it.

I past the 25,000 miles on the odometer at about 2,500 mi/year.

Good luck with yours.

John
Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

When I built my car, I put PS on it. I liked it so little that I took it off and replaced the rack with a manual one. Much better. I've seen cars with steering wheels of 13", 14", and 15" diameter. This makes somewhat of a difference on steering effort, too. Unless you plan on cranking the wheel a lot while the car is stopped, go with manual steering.

As for PB, if the pedal geometry is right and the master cylinder is properly sized, you can get dandy brakes without a booster. You will have to stab the pedal a little harder than you do in your daily driver, but it soon feels natural.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic427 351w
Not Ranked     

I have a '92 CR with approx 9000 miles.
The steering with manual feels very responsive, I am running the Flaming River mustang II manual rack.

The brakes were 8" Mustang II disks manual, I upgraded to 11" Willwoods and although not necessary, I converted to power brakes. Stops great.

Price range mid 20's to mid 30's

After driving it for a while a few things bugged me so I spent a few thousand in upgrades. Such as: new clutch, steering rack, edelbrock hi performance water pump, brakes, booster, authentic steering wheel (to replace the ugly grant wheel), shifter, rear springs, Carburator,etc.

In fact I am looking at a new Challenger Scat Pack, so I am considering selling. If you are interested in a Black, white stripe, black interior model, feel free to email me at kmalysa@zoominternet.net. I can send pictures and details.
Ken

Last edited by Ohio Ken; 06-20-2015 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Price range
Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Ken!,

Thanks! emailed!

Ron
Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Having owned no other Cobra than a CRII I can hardly compare the CRII to any other Cobra. Having said that I have owned the car for 7 years and am very satisfied with the quality of the basic car. You have to keep in mind that the CRII is a toy and what you are becoming involved is a hobby. Be prepared to spend some time doing maintenance on the car. You should also find a place that can deal with a custom built. Drive it, buy it and enjoy it.

Jim Stern
Old 06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

THANKS!

Great signature line!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Franchise........I have a CR I built by Don Scott with 351W, PS, PB, 5 speed, CR top, etc., 2,800 miles, red with white stripe, For Sale.

PM your e-mail address and I will forward pictures, other details, etc
Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks. But decided to buy a 67 Gt500 instead.
Good luck!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Nice car.......BUT, it's no Cobra!
Hundreds built, Pwr Steer., only for handicapped, ladies, quick ratio steering columns.....

PWR. Brakes, only if you want them, hard core racers maybe 50/50 ?

DV
Old 12-23-2015, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Probably the best choice for you. Cobras are noisy, rough riding, somewhat fragile as cars go. In order to really enjoy a Cobra long term you have to really believe they are the only car for you.