Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Transmission cover, headlight trim ring's, etc.

Thanks rbgray1 for getting me where I need to be. Good talking to you today. As some of you know I picked up a 80% complete CR or CR II don't know which yet. The org. owner sold his two house's here in Wa. and packed some of the Cobra piece's and had them shipped to MI. before I brought the car. Now my problem, I have to wait months, years, or never, to see them. The car is running and driving, but no paint or body work or int. I can deal with those thing's but to finish the car by the end of the year, and drive it next spring, I need a couple important piece's, transmission cover (fiberglass). Headlight trim ring's (I know they a bigger then standard size). And if anyone has mech. door latches, I'm going with just stock Cobra latches, everyone seems out of stock, I have a pair on order from Shell Valley but now it's 2+month's out, and I need a pair before it go's into the body shop (next couple of week's), or borrow a pair till mine come in, and I'll send you mine. Thanks gentlemen for any help, Tom.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backdraft uses A.J.L. latches but show out stock for the R-side
Backdraft Parts - Door Latch
PN 9301/001 LEFT and 9301/002 RIGHT
Made by (see page d29)
http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/downl..._D_section.pdf

They maybe your fastest bet on those since they are (Backdraft is) SA built and can source easier possilbly thru this SA vendor.
Cab Door Locks - McNaughtans

But snake doctor shows stock on the OEM spec set $110.
Snake Doctor - AC/Shelby Cobra Parts - Body Hardware
Old 09-14-2016, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Alfa,
As I mentioned yesterday, go to this website.

Watson's
Gator-Jaw Latches

I believe the Gator Jaw door latches are what is on the CR1s and CR2s. $64 a pair. You will also need cables and handles from Watson's. If they are not exact, you can modify the door jamb area to accept the Watson's, just three pan head bolts hold these on to the large steel body bracket that runs from the upper rear frame to the door latch area.

Not sure about the headlight trim rings, I remember another post from someone about a month ago with this same problem. Maybe someone else knows about these.

Transmission tunnel..you can do several things. You could copy a tunnel from a unfinished car (cover with plastic wrap and layup fiberglass resin and matting), it would be just slightly larger than the stock unit(about 1/8"), but would fit fine on the car. Or you could make this out of 1/8 aluminum sheet stock on a sheet metal brake. Fairly simple piece to make. At most, you may need to cut and tig weld for final fitment. Also, not a crucial piece of the car prior to painting, if the body is attached everywhere else it's supposed to be attached, the tunnel will not change any door alignments or gaps.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Head lamp trim rings and retaining rings. This guy in England is very helpful and cheaper than anywhere that I could find.
WH Motor Spares
whooper@onetel.com
Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also,

You may want to check MGB headlight trim rings for size. Does anyone know if the MGB rings will work on our CRs due to the slightly larger diameter than what Shell Valley or Finish Line offer?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Thanks rbgray1 for getting me where I need to be. Good talking to you today. As some of you know I picked up a 80% complete CR or CR II don't know which yet. The org. owner sold his two house's here in Wa. and packed some of the Cobra piece's and had them shipped to MI. before I brought the car. Now my problem, I have to wait months, years, or never, to see them. The car is running and driving, but no paint or body work or int. I can deal with those thing's but to finish the car by the end of the year, and drive it next spring, I need a couple important piece's, transmission cover (fiberglass). Headlight trim ring's (I know they a bigger then standard size). And if anyone has mech. door latches, I'm going with just stock Cobra latches, everyone seems out of stock, I have a pair on order from Shell Valley but now it's 2+month's out, and I need a pair before it go's into the body shop (next couple of week's), or borrow a pair till mine come in, and I'll send you mine. Thanks gentlemen for any help, Tom.
Tom,

I've been thinking about your transmission cover problem for the last few hours, here's what I'm thinking.

Let's see if any of the other forum members may have one for you to purchase. If that doesn't happen, we go to option #2

Since my car is completely dismantled and my tunnel cover is currently removed, I could layup a copy of my tunnel for you. I work for a Fiberglass and Filler Company (Evercoat)and I have all the necessary materials in my garage currently. This would take me a few days to do and something I would need to complete before I head to Florida for the winter on Oct 7. We could work something out for this.....Here's what I need....

My brother lost the door latch covers for the car since he never installed them. Do you have these? They look like fairly simple and about the size of dinner plates. I would like to borrow yours and make layup copies of them in fiberglass matte, cloth and resin. Hopefully I could do this at the same time I'm making your tunnel cover to minimize the mess and mixing of the resin etc. Once completed, I could send you your tunnel and your door latch covers back in the same shipment.

Let me know if you're interested.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@rbgray1, I don't have the door latch cover's, here with me, again I'm thinking MI is where they are. But down the street my painter has his CR, that's done. Maybe just maybe we could borrow his, if you can send me a picture or two, I can see what piece you need, and again we may need to build two pair's (You & Me). I was able to get a pair of latches from "Snake Doc" in NC. he think's he might have (NOS) trim ring's, and maybe just maybe a transmission cover, he will look tonight. I have to stop over Frank's (painter) house tomorrow, I'll ask him if we can borrow his, or there is one other guy around that has a CR (but his is for sale) so we not be able borrow his, We'll come up with something. Tom. P.S. I have Frank's manual's I can look them up there.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

No problem. The only issue with borrowing these latch covers from a completed car is I believe they go in before the rear wheel-wells. You'd have to remover the rear wells then the latch covers. They are a slightly contoured shape to protect the door latch mechanism from road debris and about the size of a dinner plate.

Regarding the build manual, you can download a copy of the original manual if you don't have one. I believe RB_moore on our forum has this digitized.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

You know I may have them after all, I'm going out in the garage, I have some fiberglass piece's about that size, i'll check tonight. I talked to Rob yesterday, and he told about downloading the manual's but thank goodness for Frank he lent me his, I have hands on. Rob told me today he sold his CR and will now get his 289 FIA car. Let me get some pictures and i'll show you what I have.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Ok, I went out and these are the piece's I have, if the ones in the first couple picture's are what you need good News I have 2-pairs!! Also any idea what these other 4-piece's are??
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

Great news!!!! You have two full sets of both the latch covers AND the inner door jamb fronts and toe kick covers!

The large square pieces are left and right toe kicks, these are to be wrapped in carpeting and screwed into the cowl bar during interior install. If you are going to use a stereo with 4 speakers, these are also good pieces to mount 6" round speakers into. I made a small square aluminum "cone" that fits in to the cowl bar area to protect the back side of the speaker that fits into the square opening in the lower cowl bar. This also hides the back side of the speaker when you open the door, painted black you can't tell it's the back side of the speaker. Some foam lining with adhesive on the inside will keep the sound from being "tinny" due to the aluminum "cone".

The smaller rectangular pieces are critical, they need to be bonded on to the front inside of the left and right door jamb area and mate the body with the cowl bar upright. I'd recommend using "vette panel adhesive" on a clean grinded surface on the front of the inner door jamb and then these are riveted to the cowl bar. These finish off the inner door jamb area on the front on both sides. Review the build manual, you'll see what I'm talking about. After bonding these to the body, finish the door jamb surface with fiber-reinforced filler (Everglass or Tiger hair) as a base coat and then top with a quality Filler (Rage Ultra).

I'll cut you a deal, I definitely need the latch covers (left and right), I'll make a copy of my tunnel for you if you want to trade?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found the exact headlight my CR has from SLC Lighting International - 1-800-938-0120 (Attn: Mimi). It is (K-D Lamp) part number 499-102318I for $74.35.. That includes the bucket, chrome bezel, 24" wire and a 6015 headlight.

Bezel, only, Part # 447- 101210 / # 447- 101212 (w/ screws)

Jeff
Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info on the headlight rings.

Tom,

Here is a pic of my trans tunnel. Are you using the emergency brake handle in the same place? I could lay-up a copy of this for you and either cutout the ebrake handle or just mark it where mine is and allow you to cut it out.

I wouldn't cut the shifter area since your engine trans is probably different than mine. I'm running a 351W with a Ford Racing T5 manual.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I can't believe our luck. The other pair are yours, my good friend. Let me send you a picture or two of my area around the trans. it's a touch different then yours. Now the other good news, messing with my doors last night, we thought there was just a bolts holding on the doors, but no my latches are already installed!!!!!!!!! So I just need the solenoid's and where pray tell can I find those?? Snake Doc, just found my headlight trim rings and is still looking for his trans tunnel. Here's my cell # 360 801 4510 call me and i'll send you the piece's, Tom.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

@JEwalt, thank's Jeff for the info, since Snake Doc have a NOS pair I've ordered his, but great info. if anyone else needs some we know where to look, Thank you Tom.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a trans tunnel if needed.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2016, 02:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thank you JEwalt, rbgray was going to mock one up from his, but if you have a extra one I could get yours that's done, let know what you want for it. You can call me at #360 801 4510. rbgray and I were going to just trade for the door latch covers I have. Thank you Tom.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I might need latches and covers as well, need to look through what I got
Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hi, 74poii. I sent my other pair to rbgray1 for his car, but if you ask real nice he can make you a pair. He's making me a trans. tunnel as we speak. He's a great guy, and I know he's leaving for Fla. this week for the winter, don't know if he can do mold's down there. I see you brought the kit in Renton, I've spoke with William last week and made an offer, but it was for a build after I finished this one. You're more then welcome to come look mine over anytime. Mine is a running motor&trans installed and run's under it's own power (roller?) that need's body bolted down, painted, and int. Which is being taken care of right now, at our shop, (2-3 weeks) then off to the painter's. Send me a PM and i'll give you the detail's, Tom.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Nice trim parts can be found via NOS locators....
They are on ebay usually Healey parts etc.
Affordable
Trim I purchased nice

my $0.02