Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mofo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up NEW CR Cobra Build, need some input

Last year I found a Classic Roadsters Cobra kit purchased in 1991. It was stored but the build was never started. I purchased the kit and I have the privilege of building it with a few Penn State Engineering students for a fun project together. We are making headway on the car and I have seen posts on club cobra that have been helpful along the way. We need to make a few decisions in the next few weeks that I would love input from others including missing components and component decisions from headers, radiator, to the clutch. I tried to search posts as much as possible before duplicating questions.

Is it appropriate to just list my questions in one thread for feedback or different threads for different topics?

Looking forward to learning from many of you who have already completed a handful of builds.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1992 Classic Roadsters, 427 Dart Stroker, Tremec 5spd, 8.8 positrac differential
Not Ranked     

I would post different thread for different topics if they are numerous, usually good advice and excellent response, this site has been a blessing for info on my classic roadster.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Xstang for a quick response. Ill follow your advise.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Do you have the headers from the kit? If not you will probably need to get them custom built.
Do you have the side pipes?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the side pipes but no headers. That was one of my questions. I saw someone sold a set of headers in May for the 351. Anyone know who I should look to purchase/ have fabricate the headers?

My side pipes came unpolished. Also looking into what I should consider for finish. Seems like these finishes draw strong emotions from some people based on quality, durability, and how much they paid vs. satisfaction of end product.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By chance, is it rare to still find these kits untouched? I was shocked to find that this kit was stored from 1991-2016 when I purchased it. Are you hearing of other guys just now starting a CR build? Many of you have 25 years and quite a few miles on these cars
Old 11-26-2017, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Mine was the same untouched status until I picked it up the end of last year. I even had the paperwork of the missing parts etc. The stock sidepipes were delayed as stated by the paperwork, so I guess many were sent out painted white. I have the original wiring harness and headers. The 302's and 351W's are the same exhaust pattern, so 302 ones will work fine. If you cannot get something going let me know, maybe we could work something out to duplicate or something else. My plan for mine is to be powered by a coyote.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Do you have a pic of the trunk hinge, or door side of the door hinge ( the big "C" part)? What manual are you going with, it would determine what type of clutch. I would assume a T-5, if that route run a Ford Motorsport King Cobra, otherwise Centerforce and such dual mass clutches will a lousy pedal feel. I'm sure everyone will have their opinion, but I'd stay away from hydraulic clutch setups. the manual cable from like Foxbody mustangs will be light years better, with none of the hassles.

Last edited by 74proii; 11-26-2017 at 10:32 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the pics you requested, but not sure how to post them to you? I will private message you to send pics.

Lets talk about the headers, that would be great.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unless you can find someone with a set of headers you are going have to build them or pay someone to build them. Buy the flanges from Summit, Jegs or others and buy the collector pipe and start fabricating. Took me a full weekend to build my headers from scratch. Sidepipes were from scratch too. Just don't up and buy a set of sidepipes from someone. They will likely not be long enough unless you want the shorter length look....
Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

As 74proii stated his is a mostly complete unbuilt kit. I brought mine Sep. 16 (build date 1992)as a unfinished 80% running, driving car. Paint, int. misc. piece's to complete. 74Proii has been over to see mine, and we both learned much about his to mine. If you need pictures or anything else, as mine is now in the paint shop, but still need the int. finished, just ask. I've found just about every piece I was missing here (Club Cobra) these guy's are great. Good luck, Tom.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74proii View Post
Do you have a pic of the trunk hinge, or door side of the door hinge ( the big "C" part)? What manual are you going with, it would determine what type of clutch. I would assume a T-5, if that route run a Ford Motorsport King Cobra, otherwise Centerforce and such dual mass clutches will a lousy pedal feel. I'm sure everyone will have their opinion, but I'd stay away from hydraulic clutch setups. the manual cable from like Foxbody mustangs will be light years better, with none of the hassles.

74Proii, I PM you but havent heard back. Ill try attaching the rear trunk hinge c-support you requested here...

Do you need this part made? I could arrange for a local shop to fabricate it to match my part if you prefer and ship it your way. This could be deducted from purchase of your headers? Are there other parts you are missing? I believe I have 90-95% of everything I need. I find I am missing small bags of hardware and incidentals but so far no big items like unique to the car brackets, etc. And a few electrical components that I now realize were mine to purchase and not supplied with the car.

Would love to connect in near future on our builds, see if there are other things we could help each other out on. Would like to continue the convo on headers and clutch.
Attached Images

fasterthebetter likes this.

Last edited by mofo; 12-01-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I almost forgot, Emerson Cobras are very similar (actually it's an update) to the Classic Roadsters Cobra and some of their components will transfer over to our directly.
The trunk hinge should transfer over...
The door hinges are a much better design than ours too and from my understanding a number of the CC guys actually purchased his when they were missing their hinges.
https://www.emersonmotorsports.com/
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic, built in 1991 has a 351 Windsor single 4 bbl.
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipes

You mentioned you had the stock side pipes. I had the stock side pipes on my 1991 CR and found the motor hanging back at higher RPM (351w). After reading several comments, by those who had already experienced this same problem, I found the 4 inch side pipe actually had only about a 1 inch pass through that was off set from the center line. I replaced the muffler with a more open center line pass through and the difference was very noticeable. Also consider ceramic coating the headers and collectors. I did and the headers and collectors run 110 degrees cooler than the muffler. There is a ceramic coating that comes out looking just like chrome.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

74proii, It would be great to connect about duplicating your headers. I would like to get my hands on a set early spring so I can finish cutouts on my fiberglass and send it to paint. Can we connect soon to discuss?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Replaced CR mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab65 View Post
You mentioned you had the stock side pipes. I had the stock side pipes on my 1991 CR and found the motor hanging back at higher RPM (351w). After reading several comments, by those who had already experienced this same problem, I found the 4 inch side pipe actually had only about a 1 inch pass through that was off set from the center line. I replaced the muffler with a more open center line pass through and the difference was very noticeable. Also consider ceramic coating the headers and collectors. I did and the headers and collectors run 110 degrees cooler than the muffler. There is a ceramic coating that comes out looking just like chrome.
What did you replace with? A custom muffler or did you purchase a known aftermarket one available?

thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1992 Classic Roadsters, 427 Dart Stroker, Tremec 5spd, 8.8 positrac differential
Not Ranked     

just replace my mufflers, 3" ID, 4" OD, 30" long from Jones Exhaust, they have two different sound levels available. Ordered turn out from Jeg's, I went ahead and replaced the collectors on my current headers going up to 3" diameter also. Now I have better sound and no longer worry about any exhaust restriction.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I'm one of the few that built and put 5" diameter sidepipes on my CR. Has baffles on the inside outer circumference but open all the way through !! Looks Awesome Sounds great !!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

I think I have a few sets of CR headers and a set of used side pipes.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E View Post
I think I have a few sets of CR headers and a set of used side pipes.
Bill,

I believe I will be getting a set this week or next from a guy on the forum. Thanks for the offer, will let you know for any unforseen reason it doesnt work out.

Morgan