Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2002, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I've got the mufflers from Page Muffler. Look pretty good but I might have a wee bit of a problem.

Looks a bit long doesn't it? The idea I was trying was to have the ends of the muffler 3" id. Something got screwed up in the communications and I ended up with muffler ends that look like:

Which really shouldn't be a problem as I can always trim back the exess length on the header part and the tip part. But (go back and look at the first picture) I've got this darn O2 sensor to worry about. I probably will just cut out the O2 sensor and have a new bung welded onto the muffler then carve out a spot on the header part of the exhaust to allow the O2 sensor to screw in.

On the up side take a look at the insides of the muffler:

Want a close up?

I'll either get this all done this week or weekend ... I'll let you know how it ends up!

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-11-2002, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Almost enough to give you a hard on, isn't it??? P, you must have ordered the muffs with extentions welded on. Mine were straight bullets, and I had to weld my own extentions on.

With the 30"ers, I cut the turn out off the CR, and welded it onto the new bullet. You may have to do a trim, and slip fit. Same with the foreward end. Be careful with the OEM CR pieces. Metal is awfully thin. The Pages are pretty heavy duty. You won't believe your ears when you fire it up.

The 36" x 2 1/4" are really mellow. You can carry on a conversation in the car without yelling...until you give it a little throttle.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack21,

I'm going to try to post some pictures tonight. I trimmed off the end pieces from the CR stuff and got everything to work great. I even tried the stainless steel band clamps... work like a champ.

I do, however, have to get a new O2 bung welded on. Small price to pay!

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-11-2002, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got some pictures and a drawing to show everyone. First picture, new side pipes sans clamps. I needed to end up with 2" extra in length (the old pipes were too short). Result? Perfect!

Oh, the insides of the Classic Roadster side pipe (and as DV notes, virtually every side pipe used by every one else):

A little drawing I made up for my web site. DV is right in his description of how the old side pipes work (paraphrasing): bang into a wall, slip though a small hole, then through a bunch of smaller holes, then bang into another wall and out:

And finally, when I really want to make some noise:

I'm going to a muffler shop tomorrow to see if they can weld an O2 bung on the right side collector. I should be able to hear what the pipes sound like by this weekend!

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-12-2002, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One week on the road,carb is tweaked ad I can't get the smile off my face. To all considering this change ,GO FOR IT> most fun you can have with your clothes on ! This thing pull like a freight train . A bunch of us will be heading the track in a couple of weeks .I had to go and screw up and put a set of tires on too big for the wheel wells.
Ok , on to a new post to beat this subject up.

Last edited by BCompy; 04-12-2002 at 05:19 PM..
Old 04-12-2002, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BCompy,

Ok, here is how to remove the smile from your face. Stop off at three autoparts stores on the way home from work and ask for an O2 sensor bung! At least the fellow at the last (and my favorite) autoparts store understood what I was asking for!

Looks like I'll be ordering from Summit and getting overnight delivery ($$$$$$).

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Petek,

Now that I have made everyone a believer and hopefully a happy believer...did you get your roll bar yet?

If not..I want you to call me tomorrow (Saturday) at the shop after 10am est. 740-852-5280.

DV

300 Cobras is NOT enough!
Old 04-12-2002, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV-

Turk and I just ordered a set of mufflers from Lucien - we expect nothing less than a night and day difference from what we had.

By the way, I am reading about everyone getting 36" mufflers - ours (both ERA's) are only 20" long!

I know longer is better with some things, but (and maybe this should be directed to Bob Putnam) any thoughts on if our new mufflers are maybe going to be too loud?

Pat Buckley
Old 04-12-2002, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

I don't think I can tell Bob a thing. I'm sure he has forgotten more than I have learned in the last 30 years!

Lucien, Arizona Exhaust will make you what ever length you want. On the standard sized pipes I've never heard a complaint about them being too loud. They will be "deeper" but I don't think louder is the problem.

If you can fit the longer ones, can't hurt! You make sure Turk posts here when you guys get the exhaust done. On a big block a 35/45 rwhp gain over the stock exhaust is NOT unheard of.
Now that is cheap horsepower!
DV
300 Cobras is NOT enough!
Old 04-12-2002, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Everyone is not going with 36" long mufflers, only one, me, has ventured this way. Everyone else, at least those with Classic Roadsters cars have been using the standard 30" length. Brother Lucien of Arizona mufflers makes a 3" core glasspack. Page mufflers makes 2 1/2", and 2 1/4" cores in 30", and 36" lengths. Yours truly likes the mellow sound of the 2 1/4" x 36". Everyone else seems to like Luciens' 3" x 30", or Page's 2 1/2" x 30" glasspacks.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everything is up-to-date in Kansas City ... but you still can't purchase two items: Raki and O2 sensor bungs. Ordered from Summit. Should be in by mid-week.

DV ... I just got an email and tracking number from Kustom. Roll bar should be here soon!

Aiming for May1 completion!

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-13-2002, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351Cleveland
Not Ranked     
Question Question

Damn its easy for you guys to spend my money
First the specs:
I'm running a 351/4V Cleveland in the Classic.
I want to keep the original exhaust and build a second system from the 4 into 4 flange on.
Since I bought the car used, I am not familiar with how the components came.
Can I buy just the exhaust from the 4 into 4 on and does it come already welded as an assembly or do I have to have pieces welded?
I "think" that what I want to buy from Lucien is:
30 inches long
Muffler diameter 4 inches
Muffler inside diameter 3 inches
5 inch long ends
Maybe there is a part number - Petek ??
Since its a Cleveland, I can use all the torque I can get.
John Wais
Old 04-14-2002, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
If you are wanting both types of pipes, you will have to buy the sidepipes from CR's, then do the conversion.

Since you have the 4V heads, I would think that you will gain more torque than anyone.

On a personnal note, I really see no reason to have both. The modified version if done right looks no different than the stock units, and they are not excessivley loud. In fact I honestly can't think of any reason to maintain and keep the original style.

It will be a hile before we get to do this again, but I am determined to take the stock pipes, record the engine and do a decibel reading at idle and at 70 mph. Then change to the new pipes and repeat. When we do this, I will post the results.

DV

300 Cobras is NOT enough -- and neither is 4 Hotels!
Old 04-14-2002, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most everyone took the original mufflers and tossed them in the dumpster. There is no reason to keep them. The only consideration for two exhaust systems might be a street set, and a more mellow trip set. This could be done with a collecter flange at the end of the J pipe so either set could be used.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default "Curiosity..........."

What were the measurments on an orginal sidepiped Cobra? What was the body size on the muffler and how long was it? How long were the tips from the back of the muffler, and what size? There seems to be many different sizes and lengths between manufactures. Any help would be appreciated. JCL
Old 04-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone have a good source for:

3 1/2 inch elbows and

3 bolt flanges for 3 1/2 inch pipe?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JEGGS has several listings in their current catalog. Website should have same.

Don't know what the sidepipes were on '65 - '66 CSX's, or if there was any consistency. CS had the same problem then, as we are now; availability of components. And we're collectively building far more cars today than CS did then, with far more options to work with.

The CR muffler is 30" long, and 4" in diameter. This seems to be a common size in a glasspack bullet, and makes for an easy swap. That the CR is a 94" wheelbase, rather than the more standard 90" among other makes lends itself to using a slightly longer muffler if desired. In the case of a CR, the 36" muffler just fits.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
I've had enough ... ;-)

Get some of the Arizona pipes for me and send them here to Cape Town.
Seriously, that's how it all started. I checked my old mails and you gave me that advise about two years ago.

Dominik
Old 04-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 535

For the pipe and muffler parts try:

www.burnsstainless.com
Old 05-21-2002, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took the sound out of those videos I posted, concatenated the two together, and converted it to MP3 format so everyone can hear it.

My 351W, Holley 900cfm ProJection Cobra using the DV side pipe muffler mod going down the street and then back up. My brother-in-law and I had just finished setting up the ProJection (for now, still needs a lot of fine tuning).

I don't know 'bout you ... but it sure sounds SWEET to me! A big thanks to DV for the mods!

MP3 is at: http://www.birch.net/~petek/temp/cobra.mp3

Enjoy!

Who is John Galt?