Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 74proii
  • 1 Post By Lightingrod
  • 1 Post By Lightingrod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2021, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Level Sending Unit!

Well the fuel gauge has never read correctly in my CR-II. I bought it already built back it 2005! When I did the last upgrade a couple of years ago I went with Speed-Hut gauges and it still didn’t read correctly even though the Speed-Hut gauge is programmable! Got off my butt today and dropped the tank! The sending unit is bad!

Question: Has anyone tried one of the “Floatless” sending units? With the last upgrades we also add a rear sump to the fuel tank and that’s where the larger fuel pickup is and it has an independent return line so all I need is a sending unit!

Considering one of these, still need to measure tank depth!

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15656/10002/-1
Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

I use this floatless Smith's fuel gauge sending unit in a FuelSafe cell with a Smith's fuel gauge. It has two pots (offset and gain) allowing adjustments on both ends (empty and full).

https://vintagewheelsus.com/index.ph...roducts_id=458
Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Thanks NROTOXIN
The Speed-Hut has a whole bunch of settings but it's software! I know there's a whole bunch because I tried them all,,,,TWICE! The pickup and gauge that was in it was cheap and their reading are all over the place when you get down 1/2 a tank and the sloshing starts!
Old 03-21-2021, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Have you thought about using a boat unit like:

https://www.iboats.com/shop/moeller-...ize=9%20inches

They start a 6" and range up from there. Or:
https://www.zoro.com/moeller-univers...All%20Products
Lightingrod likes this.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wound up ordering this one, it should be here Friday! The tank measured 9.5 inches deep so a 9 inch tube on the sending unit!

We Shall See?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15654/10002/-1
Old 03-25-2021, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just check to make sure the OHM range is compatible. Not all gauges use the same range.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks 74proii, it's all good. The sending unit is 0-90 ohms, same as the old one but my gauge programmable and can pretty much do any of them! Hoping to get it installed on Saturday!
74proii likes this.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

let us know how it works out
Old 03-28-2021, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well got-er installed yesterday, programed the gauge for 0-90 ohms and it was spot on! A gallon or so in the tank read empty! I put in about 4 gallons and it showed around a 1/4 tank! Headed out to fill-er up with some 93*! On the way I decided to play a bit! A sharp left turn and brisk acceleration from a stop sign and the fuel pressure dropped! Approaching the next stop sign I got on the brakes hard, same thing! It took a little over 15 gallons more to fill it, it read full!

I don't plan on any road racing but I still wish I had installed a fuel cell or a baffled tank! FI is totally intolerant of fuel pressure drop even for a second! The plan for now is to do a manual program on the gauge. Set empty at a 1/4 tank and of course full as full! The sending unit is much better than the open float design of the last one! The reading changes as the fuel sloshes but it slow and moderate!

Last edited by Lightingrod; 03-28-2021 at 04:36 PM..
Old 03-28-2021, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fuel cells suck, plus having to replace foam, which breaks down, and Chevy sending units. Either have a new tank fabricated (many nice ones these days out there) or install some baffles with holes in them for flow. Most company's recommend replacing the foam every 6 to 12 months. Not worth the hassle in my book. Also less than a quarter tank trashes fuel injection pumps. They need the fuel to cool, let alone the flow rate. That is why I'd say most company's have safety shutoffs at 1/8 tank (he little red line) At least Ford does.

Last edited by 74proii; 03-28-2021 at 09:28 PM..
Old 03-29-2021, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think me and my baby are both to old for that foam nonsense! Again I don't round many corners and what I have works great for WOT blasts! The SpeedHut gauge is really easy to set manually so I'll just set 1/4 tank around 4-5 gallons as empty!

I'm still going to do new paint, interior and look into lighter coil-overs in front! I'm going to DRIVE the dang thing!
74proii likes this.