Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2002, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default remote oil filter location question

I am in the process of plumbing my car. I have no problem setting up the remote oil coller but with a big block in the car, there seems to me little available room for the remote oil filter bracket and filter. What ideas do you all have for a working solution to the placement of a remote oil filter bracket. Thanks for the advice, it's always appreciated. Chuck
Old 07-21-2002, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

chuck,

don't we all face the same problems?
the oil outlet on the left hand side (427 FE), the steering the remote brake fluid containers also, all the weight as well ...

I mount mine in the mouth of the cobra so that everybody can see it and change my oil filter any time.

I am serious, it's halfway between oil cooler and radiator on the left hand side of the body leading to the radiator.

plus it's air cooled!

you decide,

dominik
Old 07-26-2002, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dominik, Isn't that a bit messy when it's time to change filters? Chuck
Old 07-26-2002, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canton offers an inline filter that takes up a lot less space than a remote filter mount and traditional filter. It's a little more expensive to change filters (and you have to buy the elements from Canton), but if you're tight on space...

You can buy them directly from Canton at http://www.cmfilters.com
Old 07-27-2002, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

I used to have mine mounted in the "Mouth" of the cobra but it looked like rabbit teeth. I have since moved mine to the engine compartment on the front left side. See "View my photo gallery" on the left.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 07-27-2002, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

The standard Ford oil filter is too long for a 351W in a Cobra. (Hopefully, you haven't found out the hard way, that the filter won't come off with the engine in the car.)

There is a mid sized filter that cross references to SBF's and SBMopars instead of the LF16 used on 302 MII's, the LF43. Just fits.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

chuck,

no it is not messy, but I also check the canton style.
I thought i responded already - wonder where that went.

dominik
Old 07-28-2002, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Ok,OK,
"I" have just come up with what I think is the coolest way to mount a "remote" oil filter AND a place for that really cool chrome overflow tank for a CR's Cobra. Now if I can just get my camera hooked up to this computer I'll show ya.

If there is a demand, need or, just a "that's cool" attitude, I will either make more and sell them at a huge profit, for Jenny of course, OR I will simply give you guys the measurements and you can do your own!

DV...stay tuned...cookie break!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

photo gallery is still not working folks. mine is mounted to the frame siderail under drivers side of the engine. it was mounted in the front on the crossmember in front of the engine before i added the blower. the new blower pulley interfered with the remote oil filter ,hence its relocation. easy access in both locations on my spf. bill.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Sorry, I can't get a good picture with the engine compartment completed and the hood on. The brace or bracket is 1" square tubing, mitered and welded in an inverted "U" with the legs pulled out. Each leg has a flat tab welded in place and drilled to accept two 3/8's bolts, one on each side of the leg. This sits all the way down onto the front cross member uprights. We simply drilled and tapped 4 matching holes, (two on each side).

It sits in very tight, does not interfere with wiring, brake lines or steering components. Once bolted in place, I swear you could hook a "lift" to it and pick the entire nose off the ground!

It is then easy to mount all kinds of goodies to it, even with the "Supercharger in place". leaving the wheel tubs clean and all accessory's away from the headers.

Ok, here's the pictures.

Any questions?

DV...the best part is you don't even have to crawl under the car to remove the filter. Now if we can just figure out how to get to that drain plug!

Last edited by Double Venom; 07-30-2002 at 05:36 AM..
Old 07-30-2002, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,

that is a good place, I admit.
Actually I just walked outside to see what's there in my car: steering rack, crossmember. But it would fit between the crossmember and pulleys - I was just lazy.

Dominik