Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 head gasket replacement

I have a small coolant leak that appears to be coming from my head gasket. The coolant doesn't seem to be mixing with the oil or leaking internaly. The leak is only apparent after the engine has cooled and the engine does not overheat.
The engine is a Ford SVO 460 with the aluminum Cobra jet heads.
It appears that the clearance required to remove the head may be a problem(drivers side). Passenger side clearance looks O.K. at first glance.
Has anyone changed out the head gaskets on thier 460 with the engine still in the car? Was there enough clearance ? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm beginnig to feel like i've got the plague here. Two posts and zero response, sheesh. You guys are a tough crowd.
O.K. I'll expand my inquiry. Has anyone with a Classic Roadsters Cobra with a big block changed out their head gasket? Or removed their heads for any reason? Was there enough clearance with the engine in the car?. Any advise,suggestions?
You guys are leaving me no choice but to open up this engine without knowing I can successfully complete the job at hand. One more chapter at the school of hard knocks I guess.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my leak. Looks like I have solved the problem for now. A mechanic recommended using a GM coolant additive that is used in Cadillacs. The additive is a package of five pellets that you add to your coolant. So far the leak has stopped.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Snake,

There was a similar post just a while back concerning a small block and I had the same problem with my stroker. If you have all aluminum intake and heads make sure the torque is correct on the bolts. I hope the coolant sealer keeps working. I have a friend who has a 429 in his Classic Roadster and I can ask him if he can get his heads off if you like. I think the 429 and 460 are the same width.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-04-2003, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron61,
Yes I would be interested to know about the head removal. I believe the 460 is just a stroked 429 so space consumption should be real similar.
I doubt the additive will work forever. Keeping my fingers crossed though.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Snake,

I will call Jay later this week as he is out of town on business. He owns a drilling company and had to go somewhere in the Bay Area I think it was to check on some jobs and should be home around Thursday. Meanwhile I will call another person that I think is home and see what he says as he worked on the car quite a bit.

Ron

Old 03-04-2003, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron,
I appreciate it. I read the posts in the Small block forum too. I have checked the torque and it was o.k. I didn't back off the bolts first though, so if the leak starts up again I will try that first.
Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Snake,

I just got hold of Jay and then I also called another man I know that has a 460 in his Classic Roadster and the answer from them was no, they can't get the left side head off without pulling the motor. They did what I did with my stroker and set it back and that makes the head bolt hit the firewall. Eric said that if it wasn't for that head bolt hitting he could get his off by removing the steering collum. But by having them set back, no way. You might check yours and see if it is set back far enough the bolt will hit. If not then you could most likely pull the head with the motor in the car. But these are set so far back they can't even jack them up to get any clearance. Sorry.

Ron

Old 03-04-2003, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron,
You confirmed what I already expected from a visual standpoint. There is a protrusion in the firewall that is very close to the head. I was hoping that by loosening a motor mount and raising one side of the engine that I could avoid a complete removal. As long as the sealent holds I'm in good shape though. Thanks again for the information.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Artic,
I'm sorry, but I and Don both missed your original post. Yes, you can pull the head while the engine is in the car. Even though the head is aluminum, it helps to have four hands to guide it out without hitting the firewall, especially if it's painted.

On the 460 block it is very easy and common for the intake manifold gaskets to slip downaward while installing the heads, causing a small and very annouying coolant leak. (SVO shipped many, many 460 blocks with this very problem!)

If you pull the heads, let us know what you find.

DV
Old 03-04-2003, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks DV I appreciate the information. The reason I inquired about the head removal is that I can barely get a wrench on the rearward bolt and I was worried that the head would not slide up over the stud without hitting the firewall.
Do the motor mounts have to be removed and the motor jacked-up a little? It really looks like there isn't enough clearance to remove some of the head bolts, let alone the head itself. Is my perception way off base here?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Put a minor amount of aluminum powdered stop leak in the cooling system and see if it will seal it up, but don't over do it.
I have used it sparingly in the past and it has worked for me.

Rick............

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-04-2003, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

ARTIC,

This particular Cobra wasn't bought from a guy in Ohio was it? Black in color?

I honestly don't think you have to jack up the motor. Long time since I've done one. If memory severs me you can loosen the rear bolts, but you will have to pull them with the head.

I'm surprised you aren't finding anti-freeze in the oil.

Raising the motor is not a problem though if you think it will help. Pull the horizontal bolt, jack up the drivers side and it will swing quite aways before anything starts to bind.

DV..will be watching your progress
Old 03-04-2003, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes DV, she was imported to Alaska from Ohio. You have found me out. Beautiful car by the way. You should be a very proud father.
I checked the oil first, no contamination from the coolant. I also checked for signs of coolant in the combustion chamber. Seems the leak is strickly an external one.
As it stands right now the leak has stopped. I run the car daily up to operating temperature and the last few days since I added the coolant additive the leak has stopped.
Wish this snow would hurry up and melt! A guy can only polish a car so much!
Old 03-05-2003, 04:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
DV & Don,

A question. On my stroker and both of the cars that I referred to in the above posts the motors were set back farther than the original Classic Roadsters motor mounts allow. I really don't think I could get my aluminum left side head off as there is very little space between the back of the head and the way that firewall juts out. An example of how far my 351 stroker sets back is this. I can put the 21 inch long Cobra air cleaner on for shows and it clears the front of the hood scoop by about 1/8th inch when I close the hood. A friend who has a 302 in his and never set it back can't use that air cleaner as it hits the front of his hood at the scoop intake by about 1/4 inch or so he told me. I wasn't trying to lead anyone wrong, but on our cars we just can't get the head off. I think I could disconnect the mounts, unhook the transmission mounts and drive line and move my motor far enough forward to do it but am not sure. Am I completely out in left field on this ? Eric told me that on his 460 the back head bolt is what keeps him from being able to get it out as it hits that firewall and won't come far enough out to clear.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 04-28-2003, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just wanted to give you guys an update on my "head gasket" leak. Turns out DV was exactly right. The intake manifold gasket turned out to be the cause of my leak.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2003, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

I am so impressed! DV actually figured out an engine problem. I'd bet $5 someone told him what the problem was and he said he knew to make himself look smart. But then again maybe he's a closet mechanic and he's been holding out on us!
Don