Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Wheel choice...style, size and backspace

I need some input from you guys. I've been wrestling over wheel choice....both manufacturer and size. I've been offered a set of Trigos from Lynn who lives but 5 miles from me at a great price, but the offset isn't enough to work on my stock width 8.8 drum rear. My two other choices are Team3 or Compomotives. Both sets are within $300 of each other and I've been assured by Scott that the delays in Team3 delivery I've read about are no longer a problem. Either brand seems nice. My first choice would be the 15" of either brand...they seem to look a lot more "period correct" even though the Cobra R 17" I have on there now handle better than the original 15" American Racing wheels the car had on it when I purchased it.
OK....enough blabbering...here's are the real questions. I've been offered a set of Compomotives from a member here for a good price....tires included. They're 11" wide rears with a 5" backspace and 9" fronts with 5.5" backspace.
1. Is this enough backspace for the rear I have? I think I need something closer to 5 3/4" for them.
2. They're 16" wheels. I'm concerned about looks and availability of tires. Any input here would be a great help....I've been in turmoil over this for a week now and don't want to make a bad decision.. nor do I want to delay this member with his kind offer..I've already gone out and made a $1500 mistake with the Cobra R wheels and tires....I can't afford to do it again! Should I get them?
Thanks for your help.
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 06-22-2003 at 12:09 AM..
Old 06-22-2003, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

As there is always some variability between cars (given different rear ends, etc.) the best way to discover if the wheels will fit is to measure the clearance on your car. Another idea is to make up a set of cardboard wheels and tires (just a box) and see how much clearance you have on your car.

I've got 15" wheels on my CR Cobra. 15x8" 4.5" back space on front and 15x10" 6" back space on the rear. If I had to do it all over again I'd really take another look at 16" wheels rather than the 15" wheels as there seems to be a much greater selection of high performance tires in the 16" range.

Who is John Galt?
Old 06-22-2003, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thanks Pete I appreciate the info....
C'mon guys....65 people have read this and no one else has an opinion to share? I'm not looking for a definitive answer....just personal opinions.... and everyone has one of those!lol
Old 06-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Hi,
I had 16" wheels with comp T/A's and went back to 15". Mainly because you can not get wide rear tires in 16". The 17" wheels just look too big in my opinion, but you can get wide rubber. The street 15" rubber is not that great for hard driving, I'm thinking of getting a 2nd set with hoosier track tires for fun. The 4:10 gears you have will never hook up no matter what tire you put on. I'd recommend you go to 3.55 gears, even then you will have traction problems.
Perry.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Perry....That's kind of the way I'm looking at it....and you're right....I installed the 4.10s because I have a World Class T5 with a huge jump from 4th to 5th. The 4.10s work well in overdrive with a 28 inch tall rear tire, but when I went to the 17"ers with a 26" rear height I just stopped using 1st at all. 2nd gear starts are fine. It still cruises pretty well in 5th, but I need to get back to the taller tire or change back to the shorter gears. I had a 3.55 before....didn't work well with tall tires...would work great with the 17" wheels, but I don't like the looks of the 17s, regardless of how well they perform. Hoosiers for a spare set would be a fun idea!
Old 06-23-2003, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by fxbill

Thanks Pete I appreciate the info....
C'mon guys....65 people have read this and no one else has an opinion to share? I'm not looking for a definitive answer....just personal opinions.... and everyone has one of those!lol
My opinion is YES!!!... definitely put wheels on the car....
Old 06-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Personally, I think you need to measure.

Then choose. 15s are traditional and have a nice selection.

It's you car. Do what you want.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.....Yes, I did measure and decided that the 16" wheels offered give me no more wheel well clearance than my originals.
I have received no reply from Compomotive in over a week of trying to call them and email them.....They just lost my money...I'd never buy from them if that's the kind of response they give.... Scott at Team 3 says three weeks wait, but I've read some different stories here about delays..Then I called PS Industries....WOW!....what a difference. He's located about 25 minutes from my house and we chatted for about 15 minutes before he made me an offer that I'd be foolish to pass up....hundreds less than anyone else and he even offered to open the shop early this Satuday morning for me to come down and pick them up....as well as verify the backspacing that I think I need! Can't beat that with a stick! Got his catalog in one day and was very impressed......what beautiful wheels....and service to match.. Done deal...
Old 06-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

FXBILL,

Glad you resolved your tire and rim issue. I am sure overall your selection will make your car more suitable to your taste.

Amazing how one guy can have the exact same tire for so much less.

Congrats!
Old 06-25-2003, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Went through the same exercise 2 years ago. Here's what I came up with.

Rear gearing is 3.55. Bought trans (T5Z) with .80 5th.

All the tire tech support people recommended 17". No wide sizes in 16"

Compomotive: $500/wheel. TeamIII: $300/wheel. Got the TIII's in 17x8 front, 17x9.5 rear. 4" backspacing front, 5" backspacing rear.

Tires are 235/45ZR front, 275/40ZR rear. Tire choices were Bridgestone RE730, and Falken FK451 for best grades in dry and wet road traction. Got the Falkens, the entire set including shipping for just under $500.

Dry road traction is phenominal. Very difficult to break loose, they just grab and go. Wet roads? Most of the drive to DVSFIII was through constant, relentless rain, and thunderstorms through the mountain trails of PA and W.VA. Slowed down sometimes because of windshield wiper limitations limiting visibility, but the tires worked great.