Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Mufflers for CRs

I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but after trying out at least 5 different glasspack and muffler combinations I ran across a muffler at JC Whitney that's of the same design as the original CR mufflers except that the inside tube ID is 1 3/4" instead of the original 1 1/4" of the CRs. I purchased a pair for around $25 each and installed them a week ago.
The sound is beautiful!....They're mellow, quiet and give off the sound reminiscent of early muscle cars with turbo mufflers.....that plinky sound of headers combined with a low sound of big cubes.
As far as power loss....I really can't tell. My engine has more than I have ever been able to use effectively and I honestly can feel no loss at all. If anything the engine seems to be a bit more responsive on the low end, perhaps due to the extra backpressure, but whatever the difference is it's worth it..at least to me. Conversation at driving speeds can be at a normal level and the only time you really hear the pipes scream is when you're really on the gas...and then they sound great.
Anyway....if anyone was wanting to try them I thought I'd let them know that they work well and sound good.
Bill
Old 07-11-2003, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Hi Bill,
Are these new mufflers "straight thrus" or stepped ?
Bob Faust
Old 07-11-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,
The mufflers have two 1 3/4" pipes that are next to each other. Both are louvered slightly and each extends in from opposite sides of the muffler and stops short of the other end by about 1-2 inches. Basically it's a 1 3/4" entrance that goes through the louvered pipe into the chamber and then out the louvered pipe next to it. The design is similar to a standard "turbo" muffler.
I don't know how well I explained it, but I hope it helps. If you go to the JCWhitney catalog on line they have an illustration of it under the muffler section.....Wait.. I'll get the URL for them....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=5448&BQ=jcw2

OK....that will show you better than I can describe them...
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 07-11-2003 at 05:47 PM..
Old 07-11-2003, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, they are the stepped mufflers. I went with a straight through, 4 inch outside diameter 3 inch inside diameter. Wow, loud-loud-loud! But what power I finally have. Wished I'd of done it awhile back. Big difference.
Bob
Old 07-11-2003, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 3 inchers were the first I tried....Yup, you're right....loud! I'm sure I'd get stopped if I ran them for long. 2 1/4" glass packs were the best sounding of all the glasspacks to me, but these new ones make more power than the 2 1/4" glasspacks.....don't know why, but they do....and the sound is awesome...not loud, just nasty sounding!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try this web site for replacement glass packs. they have straight through, and baffled "glass packs"

http://jonesexhaust.com
Old 07-18-2003, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the looks of their Stallion baffled units.... similar to what I ended up with......Wonder what they sound like with just the one tube?..
Thanks for the url...
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 07-21-2003 at 02:07 AM..
Old 07-20-2003, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Mufflers on car now are 30"l x 2 1/2" core x 4" case from Page mufflers. It's not bad sound db wise cruising with the top off, but it's like riding inside a bass drum buttoned up with the top on. Have a "Winter" set 36"l x 2 1/4" core x 4" case, also from Page muffler. Very mellow sound db wise, but the car is not as responsive. About to replace the 36s' with 2 1/2" core and see if I can get compromise between power, and sound level.

Checked out your jonesmuffler URL. Sent them an e-mail to see if they would make a Stallion in a 30" or 36" length, perhaps using a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" core. Using perforated louvers is a neat way to get more flow, without increasing the sound level. We'll see what they have to say, and I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jack....You beat me to it...I was going to write and ask as well. Please do let us know what you find out....as I said earlier, these type mufflers sound awesome...low rumble and plinky header sound and yet nasty sounding when you're on the gas.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

OK I will fx.

I have a stock displacement version of your engine and car has plenty of traction. We gotta do something about your traction issues.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please!!! I changed cams this week....called Comp and had them design a new grind for me. The last one came on strong at around 2500 RPM and pulled hard up past 6500-7000. I told them I wanted a neck snapper right off idle and still wanted the nasty idle I had before, but was less concerned about the power above 5500....I rarely push it farther in normal driving. They dropped the duration and overlap quite a bit, but changed the lobe centers to an odd number to give the idle I wanted..The engineer said it would also make the motor a lot quicker revving although with the aluminum flywheel it revved like a Ferarri to begin with. I think traction might be worse now....I'll find out tomorrow when I button it up and try it.
I also have new Compomotive wheels coming this week, compliments of a good deal from another member here. They have new TA radials on them.....We'll see how they hook up, but I still need to address the traction problem I'm sure. All suggestions are welcomed. I am able to drop the rear end quite a bit now too...the backsapcing is correct and I can get it down to where it's supposed to be. That might help some....

Last edited by fxbill; 07-22-2003 at 01:55 AM..
Old 07-24-2003, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

This is great !! Guys...really looking for advice here. My friend is in the field and I am paging through the JC Whitney catalog trying to find an upgrade muffler for his recently purchased CR. A local shop is trying to convince him to use the Lobak auger mufflers from Kooks headers but they are pricey and he has no predictable idea how they would sound. I was about to recommend the following muffler to him then found you guys are discussing it :
JC Whitney Part # 222F2846Y, 4" wide case , 2 1/2" ID core glass pack case length is 30"

Fxbill's ....your JCW Part seems to have different dimensions although two 1 3/4's sound better than one 2 1/2 and you seem quite pleased .

I believe FFR's like my own would use a 24" case lenght glass pack, add on the tips and that comes to around 30" total length.

Is 30" the case length (part # above) for CR as a direct replacement ???

Are you still using the 3" Wide CR baloney tip ??

TX,

JAM
Old 07-24-2003, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi JAM,
The part number I used is 22ZX2863T and it has a total length of 33" including nipples. I've changed mufflers so many times I can't tell you if it's an exact replacement lengthwise, but I believe so...29-30" body length....Don Scott could verify this for you.
I believe from your post that you might be confusing the design of these.... They do not use 2- 1 3/4" tubes in parallel for breathing. The tubes are staggered...one in, one out so your total inside diameter is the 1 3/4" although even with a stroker 351 with large valve heads I've felt no real power loss...if anything I've noticed a better bottom end.
I looked into the "auger" type mufflers that are at Summit or Jegs and thought of trying them, but because of the cost was hesitant just as a trial. I have heard good things about them though. BTW I just checked the new Whitney catalog and they've raised the price on my mufflers $10 each. They're now $39 each instead of $29 each that they were two weeks ago.
I did retain the original tailpipes although I tried a 4" turn out at one point....it doesn't look correct...keep the originals.
Everyone has his own taste in sound, looks and performance. This worked out well for me...It might or might not be what your friend is looking for, but the cost at $29 each when I bought them was not so much that I couldn't afford to at least try them and as it turned out I was very pleased.
You might also wait for Jack21 to post on what he finds out from Jones Muffler. Perhaps they'll make the same design with some larger ID tubes....That would be the perfect setup as far as I'm concerned....
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 07-24-2003 at 09:01 AM..
Old 07-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

New headers and sidepipes coming at me from Don Scott. That should solve my problems. Bare metal, I'm thinking,,,,,,,hi temp paint, white.

Ernie
Old 07-24-2003, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke with Don this morning. He had a couple of sets available, but they're a bit throaty for me I think......might be perfect for your friend JAM...one of them is ceramic coated already and it's at a great price..
What are you putting on Ernie?
Bill
Old 07-24-2003, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys...John may soon log on but in the meantime I will print this and pass it on. I also run a 351W and he mentioned he liked the sound of my FFR or at least he was familiar with how it does sound. FFR advised they sell their muffler only for $19 each and 4" baloney tip for additional $23. So for $84 he can consider this as one other option. I did not measure case length on my car. fxbill...thanks for clarification on the 1 3/4 tubes.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Forget FFR. We measured mine and they are way too short.
He went with the JC Whitney 30" muffler casing , 2 1/4" baffled
bullet style muffler.