Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Classic Roadsters engine mounts

After pulling the engine out today I saw that the engine mounts are about done, the rubber blocks have nearly loosened completely from the steel parts.

That's how the motor mounts look:

I don't know which car they are from but I assume they're from a MustangII, is this correct?

I want to replace them with polyurethane engine mounts if possible. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks,

Simon

Last edited by CobraV8; 07-09-2017 at 04:01 AM..
Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

The mounts you have are from the Mustang II. They are only available from Ford so plan on spending some money if you can find them. The number is D7ZZ-6038-A and D7ZZ-6038-B. Ford quit making them awhile ago but there are some still out there. Is the car you have a Cobra or Sebring. We have new frame mounts for the Cobra that uses the newer Mustang engine mounts.
Don
Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Energy Suspension makes polyurethane motor mounts for the 302/351W motor. Summit sells them for about a hundred bucks. Also recommended is the ES poly trans mount as well.

They hold the engine a lot more solidly than the rubber ones.

The bad news is they're only made for late Mustangs, and I had to fabricate frame mounts to use them. I sent the drawings and cardboard patterns to Pete Johnson at CR before CRII was formed. Pete now works for Don Scott at CRII. I don't know if CRII ever adopted the late Mustang frame mounts that would allow these poly motor mounts to be used or not. Don (Scottt)??

If not, I have some shots of them if you want to try it. With a 302 motor, it might be easier to replace them with stock ones. CRII could give you the part #, and source. The kicker in this case is the MX frame may have different dimensions than the Cobra frame. Don (Scott), what do you think?

Now for a tweaked 351W, or a stroker 393 or 408, poly mounts would be far more beneficial to keep engine torque from banging the air cleaner against the hoodscoop, or sidepipes against the body.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Guys,

I have a CR built in 92 witha 302 in it. Not sure of the condition of my mounts. Are they MII???? If so, do they have a bolt (or equivolent) thru the middle to hold the engine if the rubber lets go?

Ed
________
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. Seems like these are MustangII engine mounts.

Is there absolutely no manufacturer who makes replacement polyurethane engine mounts for MustangII?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Get the updated frame mounts from Don, then use the PE late Mustang mounts.

The '74-78 MII was current when the CR Cobra (along with many others) was designed in the mid - late '80's. They were plentyful, and cheap.

Today, hardly anybody makes MII anything. Perhaps 99% of the MII's manufactured have been to the crusher by now. Evolutionary changes are being made to use '79-up "late" Mustang components in Cobras.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CLASSIC ROADSTERS 427 with a FORD 5.0 bored and stroked to 331cid, BRODIX alum heads, roller rockers, B303 cam.
Not Ranked     

I originaly bought the MII motor mounts for my CR427 but never used them. Instead I upgraded to the new style motor mounts that CRII makes for the "427". I think the Sebring MX still requires the MII mounts.
Bottom line, I have original FORD MII motor mounts and yes they are for sale.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Don (Scott)... I bought a pair of new frame mounts from you a couple of years ago that lowered the engine an inch or so. Are these the new mounts or Mustang 2 mounts?
Exhaust header flanges are on their way to me from Florida for the Trick Flow R heads. I'll have them to you within a week.
Thanks!
Bill
Old 04-01-2005, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Easy to tell. MII frame mounts use horizontal bolt to secure engine mount to frame mount. Late Mustang uses verticle bolt at 45* angle to secure engine mount to frame mount. Late engine mount bolt is metric 14mm.

Late 351W mount should secure engine 7/8" below where MII mount did. Early CR SBF frame mounts were the same for 302 and 351W. CR never envisioned the popularity of the 351W motor. The 351W sits too high to accomodate more popular intake/carb combinations like Ede Perf RPM. What CR advised was use of shorter Performer instead.

The 351W also has clearance problems using LF1 full length Ford oil filters. Filter hits drivers side frame rail. Fix is to use shorter LF43 filter. This is the standard small block Mopar (318/340/360) filter.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thank you Jack... I need the PF43 to clear and I'm running a Performer RPM with no clearance problems.....guess I have the later mounts.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

fxbill, those are the new mounts not the Mustang II.
Don