Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Throttle cable

Hey CR guys - any problems with throttle cable bind? I have a Lokar universal throttle cable. 351W; Barry Grant Race Demon. For the life of me, I cannot get the secondaries to open up more than 75%. It is not a cable length or gas pedal adjustment issue. I have set it up with the base line having the carb already 50% open. Stab the throttle, cable gets the secondaries 75% open and then starts to contort - bind. I have two return springs which are mandatory for tracking. Even without the springs, it still binds. Are there any good throttle cables out there? I would love to run a rod linkage setup, but not sure where to get the parts or how to set it up.

I posted this in the Shop Talk forum too to get non CR opinions
Old 02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: original a/c. shell valley 427. daytona coupe
Not Ranked     

curt we like to build our own mech linkage using 1/4 x28 male hiems and 1/4 inch solid round stock. the linkage arms are stainless steel tubing that we tap for the hiem. Brackets on the foot box as well as the intake are made out of 0.93 - 120 thick sheet metal. It is a pain to build this kind of linkage but we have not had a problem with it yet. I just installed the same lokar on a shell valley with the only problem being a bind on the cable due to a poor angle as it passed threw the footbox which was an easy fix.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Check to see that the butterflies on your secondaries are not hitting on your intake. If you have adjusted everything else, maybe the holes in your intake are smaller than the b-flies on your carb. easy to check, run the linkage on your carb by hand, if it opens all the way easily than try adjusting the draw on the cable.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can manually open the carb 100%. I will check the spacer and gasket though just to make sure there is not a slight obstruction. I have played with the draw quite a bit. No matter what I do, once the said postion is reached, the cable starts to contort and will not pull any more.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I got it figured out. You guys got me thinking. I watched the arm closely as the throttle opened. The throttle arm is pulled down and around in order to open the blade. Once the arm, where the cable mounts to it, becomes parrallel with the cable, the cable ceases to pull it down any further and starts trying to pull it straight back. There is no way it can come down any further and it justs binds up. I am adjusting the cable bracket device to allow more downward pull. That should solve my problem