Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default 2" collector pipes going from headers to sidepipes

It has been a while since I post here. I have a '92 CR cobra with a 427 center oiler. I am the original owner and got it on the road in '95. I am in the process of changing the sidepipes. The pipes on it now are the Arizona muffler glass pack type not the original restrictive pipes from CR. I changed them about 8 years ago. I think there is no glass left in them because they are quite loud now or maybe it is because I am over 60 now and the loud sidepipes don't appeal to me as much anymore. Anyway, I got some side pipes from an auction held at one of the spring flings a few years ago. They are the "spiral turbo sidepipes" from "turbospiralbaffles.com". Does anyone have any experience with these pipes eg loudness, good/bad sounding
I have the sidepipes and the 4 into 1 collectors but I need the 2" primary pipes that join the headers to the 4 in 1 collector. My original pipes have only 1 1/2" primary tubes so I can't cut the old pipes up and use the tubes. I will probably try to sell the old pipes to someone younger who likes loud pipes.
Does anyone know where I can get these 2" tubes mandrel bent on a 90 degree angle (two with a 3" radius and two with a 5" center line radius for each side. A radius of 4" and 6" will probably work as well.) I have googled "mandrel bending" and found a few shops but nobody has the dies for the two radii usually just the 3" or 4" radius. Attached is a pic of what I am making. Although, if you have a cobra you will know what I am talking about.

Thanks
Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by cobra427mnsi; 09-11-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

cobra427mnsi,
The only thing I can suggest is have a muller shop expand 1 7/8' then another adapter 2 to just over the 2" tubing, These of course would be very short, fit them all up and have them "tig welded" then just bolt them up. Think this would take care of your problem.
Sorry no experience with the mufflers your talking about.
DV
Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I have been to a muffler shop and there are a couple of problems with the muffler shop idea. The first is they usually don't have the dies to do more than a couple of radii and I need the radii to be 2" different so the pipes go side by side. The other problem is that a muffler shop compression bends the exhaust pipes rather than mandrel bends them. The compression bend distorts the pipe's diameter. In other words, the pipe's diameter doesn't remain constant around the corner. It looks smaller on the bend.
With mandrel bending, the pipe's diameter is constant through out its length. It looks much better that way.

The side pipe manufactures must get these mandrel bends from somewhere. The old Classic Roadster used to get their side pipes from a Canadian supplier I think. You won't know the suppliers name would you? Maybe I could get the pipes from them.
Does anyone else know of any side pipe manufactures that would sell the primary tubes that I need?

Thanks again
Paul
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Buddy,
All mandrel bends are better than regular bends but finding someone that can do such a small mandrel ben can be tough as you well know. I just got a 2" bender with a 6" radius for 3K. madrenl would have been almost 10K! I too understand his pipes came out of Canada but I have no idea who they were/are-sorry.
DV
Old 09-12-2008, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Have you looked at the mandrel bends that both Jegs and Summit?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, yes I have searched their sites, also the JC Whitney site. They usually have only one radius available in a given tube diameter eg 2" or 4" but not both. I have called several manufacturers and have found only one so far that has the radii i need but the straight portion of the pipe is only 4" long. His bender is set up for production bending and he wouldn't set it up to bend just 4 pipes of each diameter ( i don't blame him it would cost too much in lost production time). I need 10"-12" long. I would have to weld a straight piece to each end of the elbow that would mean 8 pipes X 2= 16 pipes to be welded. If I could find someone that could bend the lengths I need, it would save a lot of time. I may have to go the welding route, if I can't find someone.

Paul
Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     

Try this

http://www.burnsstainless.com/
Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     

Or this
http://www.spdexhaust.com/BendsB.html
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fastz06
Thanks for the link to SPD Exhaust. I found some primary tubes that are close to what I was looking for. They are on their way as we speak.

Thanks again

Paul