Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Here are some shots of a 4.6 4 valve. The owner is on this board. I don't remember his name. I was interested in buying once. The new owner, again is here. The chassis is a CR.
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/y...old/intake.htm

Last edited by Ralphy; 01-05-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

My brother-in-law broke the crank on his v10 around 80 thousand miles,had it replaced and now has 250 thousand on it
Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hopefully soon to come...
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Here are some shots of a 4.6 4 valve. The owner is on this board. I don't remember his name. I was interested in buying once. The new owner, again is here. The chassis is a CR.
I would rather use a 5.4 DOHC than a 4.6, it seems there's some big potential in the 5.4 and I'm looking into it quite heavily.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just trying to give you an idea of the size. No problem, I understand.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear you, OHC engines are honking big style.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the Sullivan manifold the original owner had to modify the front hood. Motors sure are purdy!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Holy moley, but what's with the wheels?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is how I know he is here. He had the wheels up for sale. Foose wheels I think. He tossed them. It's a stretched Classic Roadster, noticed the lengthened doors at the front?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You might want to look at a variation of the 03/04 Cobra Terminator 4V engine. The OEM version is 390 FWHP which is OK but nothing to write home about.

The Whipple blown version of the same engine at 16 psi is over 600 HP at the rear tire! With a table flat torque curve from below 2000 rpm to redline the throttle response is quite impressive. Without something like drag radials it is severely traction limited in the first three gears. However with drag radials or the equivalent to hook it up it is both seductively and frighteningly quick. The power to weight ratio is about the equivalent of an NHRA SS/A car.

Ed

<Begin Edit> From an eye candy perspective there is nothing that will fill up the engine bay like a 4.6L 4V except a 427 SOHC. Both are visual knockouts when you open your 'bonnet'. The Whipple blower doesn't hurt either - its in the right location with the right appearance. <End Edit>

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 01-05-2010 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Perhaps you can ask yourself and truly answer here first what it is that you are really hoping to accomplish or learn from installing a Triton V10 vs. other power plants:

- Just to do something different?

- A different look or size?

- Different sound?

- Power? (There are other options)

- Extra Torque? (not really needed)

I saw a Cobra with a Ferrari V12 in it about 13 years ago. It looked cool, sounded cool, was an interesting project to see in person - but something 99 of 100 Cobras owners probably would not do or care to do. So, it just depends, some folks like to do something different just because they can or want to be different. You can put two R1 Yamaha motorcycle engines in an Austin Mini Cooper and it will go like crazy too, but may not be for everyone.

I'd say once you figure this out with more certainty, you can make just about anything work with desire and willingness with customization. Good Luck.

To me a lot of what makes these cars so cool is the sound of a free breathing V8 ... or a V12 for those Italian enthusiasts of 'other' cars.

Not sure what it is, but for me a V10 or even V6 for that matter, just does seen to sing the same song, so to speak.

That being said, Duane has a good list here to consider when selecting something besides a V8 for a Cobra.

For the 4.6 liter 32 valve motor ... it's Huge, because of the heads. There is an ERA FIA (ERA#2031) for sale on Cobra Country and they got the motor to fit, but it looks pretty darn tight.

I have an '01 Cobra Mustang and can tell you, that the 4.6 motor is a joy to drive and listen to, especially between 3500 to 6500 RPM, very smooth and balanced and sounds great.

You have a lot of good options and given time to look around, I am sure you will come up with something unique and that you like, which really is the bottom line. Have Fun!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
To me a lot of what makes these cars so cool is the sound of a free breathing V8 ... or a V12 for those Italian enthusiasts of 'other' cars.

Not sure what it is, but for me a V10 or even V6 for that matter, just does seen to sing the same song, so to speak.

That being said, Duane has a good list here to consider when selecting something besides a V8 for a Cobra.

For the 4.6 liter 32 valve motor ... it's Huge, because of the heads. There is an ERA FIA (ERA#2031) for sale on Cobra Country and they got the motor to fit, but it looks pretty darn tight.

I have an '01 Cobra Mustang and can tell you, that the 4.6 motor is a joy to drive and listen to, especially between 3500 to 6500 RPM, very smooth and balanced and sounds great.

You have a lot of good options and given time to look around, I am sure you will come up with something unique and that you like, which really is the bottom line. Have Fun!
I see what you're saying, and after starting this thread and looking into things, I start to agree. I had an 01 Cobra myself a year back, and that was quite a motor now that I think about it, but it always seemed a bit lacking in low end torque, which is why I'm really liking the idea of a 5.4 with some mods done to it. The triton v10 sure can sound like thunder though...

Last edited by finklestine; 01-05-2010 at 11:16 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/y...old/intake.htm

If I did it over I would get a 03-04 supercharged 4.6 and be done

I have the same set up in a hurricane if you are looking for people to scratch there heads this is one way to do it
As for performance over 4k it pulls great down low it has nothing. It did dyno 318hp to the wheels at 6200 on basiclly a stock 4.6

Last edited by berzerko; 01-06-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It's a V10, they all sound like UPS trucks. The Viper V10 sounds weird because you usually hear them through sidepipes.
X2. They are fast, but wow is there exhaust note unimpressive. Sounds exactly like a UPS truck coming out of the side pipes. Totally turned me off of V10s if they are all like that.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a Dinan M5 with their 5.7L V10 and that sounds amazing. For this car however, I would go with the 5.4 if you can cram it in there. Vintage is building one for me with the 3V Roush Supercharged motor. Didn't go with the 4V just because of cost/fitment issues. It's definately possible to do, however everything I have read is that there are some significant modifications to fit the 4V with a SC in there.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito View Post
I have a Dinan M5 with their 5.7L V10 and that sounds amazing. For this car however, I would go with the 5.4 if you can cram it in there. Vintage is building one for me with the 3V Roush Supercharged motor. Didn't go with the 4V just because of cost/fitment issues. It's definately possible to do, however everything I have read is that there are some significant modifications to fit the 4V with a SC in there.
I'm definitely going for a 5.4, but I want to do it NA, so 4 valve heads it will be, no SC. Thanks to everyone who chimed in about the V10, I hope someone will use that motor and do a detailed writeup sometime
Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a E-350 with the triton V-10 it has loads of power within its power band get a set of custom cams that will run up to 6000 rpm and should do a great job for you.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerko View Post

If I did it over I would get a 03-04 supercharged 4.6 and be done

I have the same set up in a hurricane if you are looking for people to scratch there heads this is one way to do it
As for performance over 4k it pulls great down low it has nothing. It did dyno 318hp to the wheels at 6200 on basiclly a stock 4.6
Berzerko is right about the supercharged version and low speed torque. The lack of low speed torque in the N/A version is a result of engine displacement - its just small at 4.6L (281 cu in). The moment you put the Whipple on it the world changes and what was a wimp suddenly gets 500+ ft/lbs of torque from below 2000 to redline. A very different driving experience.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Let me know what photos you wont to see. If it is a 4.6 I have it. And we did do a V10 trition would not recomend it for the fant of hart.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

We mounted the engine in the car, and the customer finished the instillation. He was an engineer for Bell labs
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It's a V10, they all sound like UPS trucks. The Viper V10 sounds weird because you usually hear them through sidepipes.
I've been told the odd sound of a Viper, which even the best aftermarket exhaust can't help much, is because of their odd firing order. It's unique, sure. But I've never had a Viper rip past me and impress me with its motor sound.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Tags
6.8, engine, triton, v10