Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hopefully soon to come...
Not Ranked     
Question Thinking of a Triton V10 cobra, yea or nay?

Hello, my name is Corbin and I will hopefully soon begin a build of a Cobra, and I have this crazy idea about modifying a 3 valve 6.8 (414 for you old people ) Triton V10 and dropping it in. After doing a bit of searching, I have surmised that it isn't much heavier if at all than an iron block 427FE, and after looking through some youtube videos it seems that this V10 manages to make a pretty badass sound

My concerns are that even with work done (valvetrain, porting, lighter rotating assembly, etc.) it won't flow enough or rev enough to be an inspiring motor, which would be rather disappointing. I have done quite a bit of searching, and I can't seem to find anyone who has done this swap, am I missing some obvious flaw in the plan?

Any advice would be appreciated, and I also have no idea what transmission would bolt up to the V10, but there must be one...

Thanks,
Corbin
Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You are correct in your assumption. It it a TRUCK motor. Respond accordingly.

Oh! almost forgot ...maybe an Allison Trans would bolt up?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 01-05-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi
There is a Cobra in the Bay Area thats got a Triton V10 fitted. Dont know anymore details.
cheers
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

How about a Viper motor........it would look great and give plenty of performance.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Emerson Motor sports built one a few years ago with a Triton V-10 for some guy. He had to do a lot of fabrication work to get everything to fit under the hood. Contact him and see what he says and if you think the work is worth the gain. I do remember the very small valves in that thing.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

If you are looking for something different than can make a fair bit of power (be inspiring), looks good and has options and parts available, try a Toyota V-8. There are some hot ones in Australia and a few in the UK. There are some go-fast goodies sold here in the US to make plenty of power.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...9/ppuser/19657

try this link to see a shot of one from a Lexus, believe its a 4.0

ken

Last edited by fastraxsg; 01-05-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I think Double Venom here has dropped a Viper motor in at least one CR. You may want to chat with him.

Isn't the V 10 the same configuration as the 4.6 and the 5.4?

Last edited by Ralphy; 01-05-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you everyone for your replies! I never knew there could be such a helpful forum on the internet...

Quote:
How about a Viper motor........it would look great and give plenty of performance.
Call me picky but I read in another thread that the viper engine "sounds like a triumph humping a volkswagen" and from what i've seen this is true. It also seems to be pretty expensive, though after mods a triton also might be...

Quote:
He had to do a lot of fabrication work to get everything to fit under the hood.
If this is true I'll be quite put off, but I read on one of the factory five faq type pages that their kit was designed to fit the V10. Thanks for the lead, I'll definitely call Emerson.

Quote:
If you are looking for something different than can make a fair bit of power (be inspiring), looks good and has options and parts available, try a Toyota V-8. There are some hot ones in Australia and a few in the UK. There are some go-fast goodies sold here in the US to make plenty of power.
That's quite an interesting idea, but I would be worried about low end grunt, and it would make more sense to use a 5.4 in my mind, but I sure would like to use that 4.0 V8 in a Caterham type of thing, it would be insane!

Quote:
Isn't the V 10 the same configuration as the 4.6 and the 5.4?
The V10 is the 5.4 with two extra cylinders cast on the end, 362 hp and 457 lb-ft stock for the 3 valve.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Big motor!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It's a V10, they all sound like UPS trucks. The Viper V10 sounds weird because you usually hear them through sidepipes.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Titon V-10

One of the FFR guys dropped a BMW V-12 with twin turbos. Kept the motor stock.

Looks and sounds great.

am9648
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a truck motor as noted above. Not made for high RPM. It's a perfect motor if you have a 4X4 quad cab and want to pull a trailer. Lots of low end torque but in a stock configuration I don't think it will even spin over 5000 RPM. My brother pulls a trailer with his and can hold the speed limit up the hills as he's passing motorhomes.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My concerns would be parts and maintenance in the future.

Ford is dropping the V10 from production, don't know how long it was produced, but not long, or in much quantity in the grand scheme of things.

Lot of work, special parts, no future. I imagine everyone will ask "what is it", even today. Personally, I don't think it's a good looking engine. I'd go FE or SBF.

And what's the point of mountains of torque in a 2,000 pound Cobra? Are you going to be towing a 28' enclosed trailer behind it with the F-150 inside?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It's a V10, they all sound like UPS trucks. The Viper V10 sounds weird because you usually hear them through sidepipes.
One would think so, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMnFnYU8s4

I read on wikipedia that this has to do with firing order, and that the split pin crank design of the ford v10 means it sounds pretty good, though i also read that split pins make for a weaker crank

Edit: According to FFR, all V10s came with a forged crank, so perhaps it's not so bad...

Last edited by finklestine; 01-05-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Big motor!

But according to factory five, it will fit, and i just read that all v10s come with a forged crank, oh goody.

http://www.ffcobra.com/FAQ/46Lmotor.html

At least I think they mean it will fit, unless they were just talking about it...

Last edited by finklestine; 01-05-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default What's the real objective?

Perhaps you can ask yourself and truly answer here first what it is that you are really hoping to accomplish or learn from installing a Triton V10 vs. other power plants:

- Just to do something different?

- A different look or size?

- Different sound?

- Power? (There are other options)

- Extra Torque? (not really needed)

I saw a Cobra with a Ferrari V12 in it about 13 years ago. It looked cool, sounded cool, was an interesting project to see in person - but something 99 of 100 Cobras owners probably would not do or care to do. So, it just depends, some folks like to do something different just because they can or want to be different. You can put two R1 Yamaha motorcycle engines in an Austin Mini Cooper and it will go like crazy too, but may not be for everyone.

I'd say once you figure this out with more certainty, you can make just about anything work with desire and willingness with customization. Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

The Viper engine has an odd sound no matter how its exhaust is set up. Not necessarily bad, but I like a 600HP mover to sound like one.

The Ford modular engine is humongous - many of the same fitment issues as a cammer. Nice to have the overhead cams, though.

I see no point in a Toyota V8. There are many nice engines out there, but getting flat-out weird in your choices serves no good purpose.

Me, given a whopping budget... I'd put a Ferrari V-12 in, oh, a Kirkham.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post

And what's the point of mountains of torque in a 2,000 pound Cobra? Are you going to be towing a 28' enclosed trailer behind it with the F-150 inside?
Maybe that's my secret plan, just to mess with people's heads...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Getting the right V10 & build in place -

The reason the Viper V10 sounds anemic is due to its odd firing order.

Now this Ford V10 in this Mule Test Car sounds pretty decent!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Some nice sounding Ford V10s.

Or, better yet a video with sounds of the prototype Cobra concept car and the GR-1 concept car with Ford V10s in them.

Tags
6.8, engine, triton, v10