Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Aloha from the Big Island

Hi, Everyone,

Over 30 years ago a friend gave me a ride in his 427 Cobra through the streets of Phoenix in a massive explosion of sound and fury that had other cars careening up on the sidewalks to get out of the way. The drive was immature, dangerous, politically incorrect and enormously satisfying. The best adjective I can find is "outrageous." I remember every detail and they still make me smile.

I ended up buying an old V-12 Ferrari from this friend and have over the years owned a couple more as well as half a dozen Alfas. Cobras were just a happy memory and always seemed to appreciate a lot faster than my income. I'd seen magazine ads for Cobra replicas but always figured they were sort of the equivalent of Fieros camouflaged as Ferraris or those crappy VW-based kit cars. Happy with my Italian machinery, I never bothered to enquire further. Ignorance was bliss.

But then last month at our local SCCA autocross event a couple of 427 replicas appeared and I had a chance to look them over. SWEET! I don't think there is anything more viscerally satisfying than the sound of a big American V-8 thundering out its sidepipes. The cars looked good and sounded good. On our wet, cramped, twisty go-kart track, the one Cobra that participated fish-tailed around the course unable to get much grip. Massive torque. Didn't seem to matter and the driver had a blast.

The upshot of all this is: I GOTTA HAVE ONE.

Curt Scott's latest "The Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas" just arrived yesterday, and so now the research phase begins. . . .

I expect it will be a very long time before I can contribute in any knowledgable way to the discourse here at Club Cobra, but I look forward to interacting with y'all and, with your help, to getting an education--and the right car.

Cheers!
Mark
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Post pics of the 246! Me loves Ferrari's

Welcome. Lots of info on every Cobra manufacturer here.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I rented a house at the Mauna Kea over the Fourth. If you want to meet for a couple of Mai Tai's I can share what I have learned over the last 5 years of ownership.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My stable unfortunately lacks a Dino 246, but it does contain a Ferrari 328 GTS and an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV. The Alfa beat the Cobra around the tight track last month because it has almost no torque, a real advantage on a wet track. If I have figured out how to post pics, you'll see them attached.Name:  Alfarace1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0966_JPG.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Welcome to the madness, enjoy the hunt, sometimes it is half the fun.

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought my first Cobra in Hilo, shipped it back to Honolulu (an Excalibur). Drove the wheels off dat thing at the Hono track. Auto Cross, lap attack timed run's, even drifted it (oh, they crazy those local drifters), had a blast!

...then they closed the track in Hono, which is a big part of why I moved to da mainland. But hey, plenty room on the Big Isle to light 'em up. Oh, no rubbah shlippas when you drive the Cobra, they get all tangled up in the pedals brah. And no board shorts heh, nasty snake bite's from the side pipes. Now, try wait, your Cobra come soon enough.

The Japanese Drifters, they come Hawaii, wild about seeing the Cobra make a run.
Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-15-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
I rented a house at the Mauna Kea over the Fourth. If you want to meet for a couple of Mai Tai's I can share what I have learned over the last 5 years of ownership.
Dave,

Sounds like a plan! Alternatively, if you're planning to visit Akaka Falls on the Hamakua coast, you could stop in and visit. Bourbon instead of mai-tais. I live a few hundred yards from the Falls.

You have a PM.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber,

Thanks for the welcome, brah. Do you recall having any trouble registering the car in HI? How was it registered ('65 Ford or da kine?)

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Until just a few years ago it was impossible to register any type of "assembled vehicle" on Oahu, while on the other islands it was never an issue. All though I'm not sure exactly what procedure you follow on the Big Island (Maui, Kaui), it's really easy. Some of the guys had their Cobra's registered as a 1965 "Ford", others as a 1965 Cobra, straight up, just like it was a real and original car. I'd be concerned about auto insurance issues myself and would want it clear on the title and to the insurance company exactly what I had.

On Oahu, the car gets a special inspection at only one location that checks for things like a DOT approved windshield, tail lights, etc., piece of cake. A special Hawaii sticker, which contains a Hawaii assigned VIN, is placed somewhere within the vehicle. The VIN assigned is the same number the car already has for a VIN, unless it's a totally new car with only an MSO from the manufacturer, then Hawaii will assign one from scratch. The title shows the MAKE as a Cobra, the TYPE as a STRD-RPLC (street rod replica), the year model as a 1965.

For many years those few of us (5 or 6) who owned Cobra's typically had them registered on one of the other islands in Aunties name, or who ever. The Oahu cops were onto us, but they looked the other way. It was never an issue for any of us, all though, we kept a pretty low profile. It was nice to "come out of the closet", so to speak, when the registration law was changed for Oahu. Because we were under the table, rebels if you would, risky business types, only the hardest of the hardcore dared to own a Cobra on Oahu. We were a tight group, it was a special time, very close friendships that continue to this day. "We" worked hard to get the law changed, it was quite fascinating watching the wheels of legislation turning (slowly).

So if you ever sell/move the vehicle to Oahu, there is zero problem with getting it registered there.

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-18-2010 at 06:25 AM..