Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Query

I'm looking to purchase a used Superformance in the new future. I'm up to speed on the MKIII models and the CSX and have the specs for both of the 2010 models. What's confusing is that some of the ads also list 427S/C. Can I assume that the S/C is just an earlier version of the CSX?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hope I am understanding your question here. First let me say there are MUCH more knowledgeable folks on this forum than me, but being in the market myself for the first time, let me offer this; the Superformance, often abbreviated here to "SPF", and the CSX are two different creatures. CSX cars are either original Shelby Cobras, or "continuation" Cobras, manufactured by Shelby American. A whole different price point, either way. "SPFs" will be fiberglass cars, excellent vehicles no doubt, while CSX's may be aluminum bodied, or possibly "glass" (cheaper to build), but will still be more expensive than the Superformance. That is, if I got my facts straight.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

many thanks for the quick reply. Yes you are correct, and I have the specs and brochures for both the MKIII and the CSX from Hillbank Motors. The esence of the question though, is the 'Superformance S/C' model. I see a lot of ads that are selling the 'Superformance S/C', these are generally older vehicles, and am curious as to whether they are the forrunners to the MKIII or the CSX, or none of the above.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf #1723 427w
Not Ranked     

S/C stands for semi competition. Shelby built some of these for track back in the day. These had rollbars, sidepipes...etc. There were 4 models of cobras. 289 street & race version and 427 street & race version. Also some drag cars...(dragon snakes). SPF or superformance has the 427 s/c version along with the 427 street version and now have the 289 version. Shelby has the same models available in aluminum or fiberglass for more money...Paying for the "Shelby" name. hope this helps. Not a earlier version. It's a model or style of cobra.

Last edited by Greg tripp; 03-28-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF roush 402
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg tripp View Post
S/C stands for semi competition. Shelby built some of these for track back in the day. These had rollbars, sidepipes...etc. There were 4 models of cobras. 289 street & race version and 427 street & race version. Also some drag cars...(dragon snakes). SPF or superformance has the 427 s/c version along with the 427 street version and now have the 289 version. Shelby has the same models available in aluminum or fiberglass for more money...Paying for the "Shelby" name. hope this helps. Not a earlier version. It's a model or style of cobra.
and the ''Shelby'' 427 is totaly differant than the ''SPF'' 427 if you look under the car ,frame wise.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The "S/C" is what the Superformance "MK III" replicates. The other SPF option is the "Roadster", which is the 1960s street car with undercar exhaust. The CSX car sold currently by Shelby is also an "S/C" clone.

What may be confusing is that Hi Tech Automotive who manufacture the Superformance product line also build the fiberglass CSX cars for Shelby and both are distributed by the same entity. There is no direct connection with either product other than manfacturer, distributor and that fact that Shelby licenses the Supeformance MK III product line. So they are brothers from different families.....Geez, now I'M confused!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, confusing, but love these beasts. I buy a used vehicle advertised as a "superformance " 427S/C is it based on the MkIII or the CSX specs, or could it be either.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMorton View Post
Yup, confusing, but love these beasts. I buy a used vehicle advertised as a "superformance " 427S/C is it based on the MkIII or the CSX specs, or could it be either.
A MKIII = Superformance.

A Superformance MKIII can be purchased as either: a) Roadster (street trim) or b) an S/C, which can include sidepipes, hood scoop, roll bar, quick jacks, etc.

A CSX4000/6000 = Shelby.

A Shelby Cobra (CSX) can be purchased in either: a) Roadster (street trim) or b) an S/C, which can include sidepipes, hood scoop, roll bar, quick jacks, etc.

The specs for a Shelby and Superformance are different. A Shelby is far more expensive. While not keeping up on current pricing, I would guess that a fiberglass base Shelby roller probably runs an additional $20,000 +/-. Options can add a lot of money to the purchase price.

Last edited by RodKnock; 03-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: cleaned up my English
Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

....now unconfused,thx all for the input..